ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
This sounds great! I was planning a similar trip next summer anyway (Magruger and Lolo motorway) with more time in Idaho, but I'd really like to learn some riding area in Montana. One issue is timing...Magruder wasn't open till August last year, and some of roads in Idaho were still closed at 6000ft the first part of August. Of course last year was exceptionally bad. Last week of July to early August will hopefully will keep us free of snow.

How would you feel about stretching this to a full week? Given the need to take 3 days of vacation, a couple more wouldn't hurt, and we would have more time to do some exploring/fishing,etc. Just a thought. I spent 5 days camping off my bike this summer, had a fantastic time!

If you're interested, the Red River hot springs resort is on the Western end of the Magruder...might be a nice place to spend one night and soak out some aches and pains.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 08:46 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
This sounds great! I was planning a similar trip next summer anyway (Magruger and Lolo motorway) with more time in Idaho, but I'd really like to learn some riding area in Montana. One issue is timing...Magruder wasn't open till August last year, and some of roads in Idaho were still closed at 6000ft the first part of August. Of course last year was exceptionally bad. Last week of July to early August will hopefully will keep us free of snow.

How would you feel about stretching this to a full week? Given the need to take 3 days of vacation, a couple more wouldn't hurt, and we would have more time to do some exploring/fishing,etc. Just a thought. I spent 5 days camping off my bike this summer, had a fantastic time!

If you're interested, the Red River hot springs resort is on the Western end of the Magruder...might be a nice place to spend one night and soak out some aches and pains.
I was turned back on 7/16/11 at Elk City, but I understand it opened a week later. The Gravelly Range (over 9k feet in places) opened at the same time and I rode it around 7/23. Hopefully the snow wouldn't be so late in 2012, but that's out of my control.

I'm totally cool with taking a week to do this. The timing just depends upon the participants. Of course, it's possible to trim pieces of the beginning and end of the ride out and keep the center section. There's lots of options. Let's keep the discussion open.

BTW, I spent a month and a half camping off my F650GS and absolutely loved it. Most of it was hammock camping as well which is what I'll bring in 2012.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I was turned back on 7/16/11 at Elk City, but I understand it opened a week later. The Gravelly Range (over 9k feet in places) opened at the same time and I rode it around 7/23. Hopefully the snow wouldn't be so late in 2012, but that's out of my control.

I'm totally cool with taking a week to do this. The timing just depends upon the participants. Of course, it's possible to trim pieces of the beginning and end of the ride out and keep the center section. There's lots of options. Let's keep the discussion open.

BTW, I spent a month and a half camping off my F650GS and absolutely loved it. Most of it was hammock camping as well which is what I'll bring in 2012.
We could do the ride from a Sunday to Saturday, that would give a day on each end for travel to/from. Since you're thinking about starting at Elk City, maybe we cold spend Sat night at the hot springs (IIRC < 10 miles from town) and get to know each other over some adult beverages.

How many miles are you thinking about each day? Magruder can easily be done in a day, but there are plenty of little side trips and stops that can be done, and lots of really nice camp spots. If we're not in a hurry, spending some time exploring the lookout towers, maybe some short hikes or fishing along that route would make it worth taking 1 1/2-2 days. I imagine the other areas you are thinking about are as nice or nicer, so maybe we don't want to kill too much time that early in the trip???

Speaking of Magruder, we were planning on doing it the last week in July this year, but were told just a few days beforehand that it was still closed, and made other plans. Then came on here the day we were planning to leave and read that people were making it on bikes and quads. Too late to change plans for us. I ran into plenty of snow on the Idaho/Montana border that week, at 6k. Lets hope next year isn't so messed up!

I need to study up on hammocks. I definetly need to upgrade gear...my tent and sleeping bag, along with the Great Basin, were snug on the DR650; that load would swallow the WR. When we did the Mac a couple years ago we ran into below freezing temps in August, and some people going the opposite direction ran into snow around Observation Point.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 09:30 AM
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #19
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the details about
Macgruder.

Mileage per day will depend upon the riders. I find that around 150-170 works well for me, but could slow it down.

It was a bit brisk hammock camping in the Gravelly Range at 8k feet. I recommend an underquilt (I just sewed one up). But it's a compact way to camp.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #20
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

I'm getting really excited planning for this trip. I hope to make a run to REI after Christmas and pick up a new tent and sleeping bag, as well as finish outfitting the little bike for adv camping.

Do you happen to have any GPS tracks for the Montana part of the trip?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
Seamus
Muck Savage

Oddometer: 145
Sounds great, thanks for the invite
Depending on the actual tied down dates I could be in as I do have another week long ride planned around the end of July/ early August and this could fit in nicely
Seamus
2001 BMW R 1100 S
2005 KTM 300 MXC
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #22
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Noob (to ADV) interested

I've recently traded my ST1300 for a GS12, I'm an experienced LD road tourer now looking for a different challenge - need to brush up on dirt skills. This trip sounds fantastic. Like others in the thread, it's too early to commit, but I would love to join in.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #23
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,924
Maybe

Put me on the fence for this, I will be looking for somewhere to ride about then.
Going or not I have parking in Lewiston if anyone needs it.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #25
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
I've recently traded my ST1300 for a GS12, I'm an experienced LD road tourer now looking for a different challenge - need to brush up on dirt skills. This trip sounds fantastic. Like others in the thread, it's too early to commit, but I would love to join in.
I, too, am a LD tourer who also does the dual sport riding as well. You'd be welcome to join us; and it's a big bike friendly route. For brushing up on dirt skills, I'd recommend the DS class that Puget Sound Safety puts on.

From a schedule point of view, I'm leaning to the last half of July just after the 15th.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thanks for the invite

I've subscribed to the thread, look forward to updates and others chiming in.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #27
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,880
Timmer,

Do you think I could drive this route on my hack? It is a street friendly rig, but I'm not adverse to gravel. It can't do heavy two track/single track stuff.
I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." ~ John Steinbeck

WU7X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
So what dates are you thinking? RMAR and Westfest are the last week of July thru first week of August. I'd be into this if the dates didn't involve missing those 2 events. 3 weeks out for those 2 doesn't allow for another consecutive week either. Maybe end of august? Not pushing my time on you guys, just a thought. subscribed either way.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #29
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
So what dates are you thinking? RMAR and Westfest are the last week of July thru first week of August. I'd be into this if the dates didn't involve missing those 2 events. 3 weeks out for those 2 doesn't allow for another consecutive week either. Maybe end of august? Not pushing my time on you guys, just a thought. subscribed either way.
The scheduling challenge is that there are many motorcycle events during this time period. I am committed to other events for early July and the month of August, plus I'm trying to plan to re-ride the WABDR northern section. We'll let the dates simmer for a bit yet and if necessary, there could be multiple rides.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #30
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,764
Sounds like fun

Ive been thinking of riding in that area this summer. Like others, July is a few months off but I'll mark it down on my calander.

Riding the WABDR too.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote