ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior
 
clapped_r6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Oddometer: 2,585
Moab basecamp / dayride ideas? Coming from the wet coast

preplanning WAY in advance (spring 2013!) to truck out to Moab and do the basecamp / dayride loop thing for maybe 3 or 4 days.
i have yet to acquire a Moab trail map (which i'll be partially planning out day rides for the group) but would like suggestions as to best places to stay, what trails to hit, etc.
good riders, on factory legal d/s stuff (not real dirt bikes!) we do want to hit singletrack too, not just jeep trails.

i'm sure someone has some suggestions?

tia,

ps? we have plated legal bikes, do we need utah "ohv" tags as well?

clapped_r6 screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 06:27 PM
clapped_r6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Spat
Studly Adventurer
 
Spat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Lakewood, Co
Oddometer: 844
Free camping to hotels, whats your poison?
We stay at Archview campground at Hwy 191 and 313 just north of Moab. Plenty of ride outs right from there. Camping cabins, RV spots, gas and general store.
www.archviewresort.com
__________________
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell
 
Rodzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Wheat Ridge Colorado
Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
preplanning WAY in advance (spring 2013!) to truck out to Moab and do the basecamp / dayride loop thing for maybe 3 or 4 days.
i have yet to acquire a Moab trail map (which i'll be partially planning out day rides for the group) but would like suggestions as to best places to stay, what trails to hit, etc.
good riders, on factory legal d/s stuff (not real dirt bikes!) we do want to hit singletrack too, not just jeep trails.

i'm sure someone has some suggestions?

tia,

ps? we have plated legal bikes, do we need utah "ohv" tags as well?

Just and FYI, there is not a ton of true "singletrack" in Moab. Most of the trails are multiple use. Moab is more about where you are riding then what you are riding
__________________
COHVCO/COTPA/BRC/USA-ALL/ARRA/AMA/Moab Parnership
COHVCO Supporter
Rampart Range Motorcycle Management Committee(RRMMC) Past President/VP
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,362
Here's One

It's not singletrack but this ride has a bit of everything. Dewey Bridge/Top of the World/Kokopelli/Rosegarden Hill/Onion Creek Loop (46 mi.) IMO it has the best views in Moab, not the hardest trail by any means you get a nice combination of rock, fast dirt, and some challenges. Starts off as fast graded dirt then about 12 mi of up/dn hill minor ledges, smooth rock with some rocky steps. Eventually you'll come to a steep rocky downhill (Rosegarden) then it flattens out to some nice fast curvy dirt through Onion Creek with a couple dozen water crossings. From there it out to Hwy128 and then back on 12 miles of pavement along the colorado river to Dewey Bridge.


Top of the World (dirt road below is Onion Creek rd)




Rosegarden Hill




Onion Creek


Hwy 128
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,362
Singletrack

For single track I highly recommend the Soverign Trail

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
silverboy
Bunny
 
silverboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder.Colorado
Oddometer: 544
Must rides that are not technical in Moab:

1. White Rim. Maybe the most beautiful trail/road in the world???



2. Kokopelli going West from Dewey bridge.(Ridefreaks's route)



Rose Garden hill.
Make sure you go down this! Go West!



3. Dome Plateau area. This is area North of Arches nat. park leading to Dewey bridge. Would be a great link up with Koko. Lots of small roads to explore. Can go north to Thompson springs to see petroglyphs if that's your thing.




East side of Dome Plateau



4. Crystal Geyser road north of town with some side trips into the dunes at White Wash.


this is off to the West somewhere near Mars....

5. Not really appropriate for your bike but since you will have DOT tires, it might be interesting... It my favorite trail:

Slickrock




Have fun!

As far as Camping: Camp on Sandflats road near slickrock or camp down Kane Creek road. Both are amazing.

silverboy screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 01:14 PM
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,362
Nice stuff SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
Just and FYI, there is not a ton of true "singletrack" in Moab. Most of the trails are multiple use. Moab is more about where you are riding then what you are riding
+1

I think you're supposed to have the UT sticker, having tags I never bothered to buy one.

Riding the Slickrock is cool
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
silverboy
Bunny
 
silverboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder.Colorado
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I think you're supposed to have the UT sticker, having tags I never bothered to buy one.

Riding the Slickrock is cool


Yes.

You are required to have a sticker even with a plate.

But, you can get away with a warning because its a dumb law...
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,144


I can't believe how much a photograph of Rosegarden Hill deceptively portrays its difficulty.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
jjustj
cum petris et choris
 
jjustj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 9157 ft Dillon CO
Oddometer: 5,321
cmon rose garden hill?

saw Joz do it on a transalp so.... lol
__________________
Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. Mark Twain
RIDE STEALTH,



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
silverboy
Bunny
 
silverboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder.Colorado
Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
saw Joz do it on a transalp so.... lol
Up or down?
First time I went up Rose Garden it took a strap and a back....
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer
 
BuilderScott's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
It's not singletrack but this ride has a bit of everything. Dewey Bridge/Top of the World/Kokopelli/Rosegarden Hill/Onion Creek Loop (46 mi.) IMO it has the best views in Moab, not the hardest trail by any means you get a nice combination of rock, fast dirt, and some challenges. Starts off as fast graded dirt then about 12 mi of up/dn hill minor ledges, smooth rock with some rocky steps. Eventually you'll come to a steep rocky downhill (Rosegarden) then it flattens out to some nice fast curvy dirt through Onion Creek with a couple dozen water crossings. From there it out to Hwy128 and then back on 12 miles of pavement along the colorado river to Dewey Bridge.


Chris - You just made it feel a little colder out.... That sounds like a great ride.

And I've never seen that perspective of the Titan. Pretty cool.
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer
 
BuilderScott's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Lyons, Colorado
Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post



We've never met, but I'd say that's you on the left??

Great pics!
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior
 
clapped_r6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Oddometer: 2,585
thanks for the replies guys. i knew some local knowledge would go a long way.
clapped_r6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer
 
mylsmkj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Wallowa County, Oregon
Oddometer: 923
PM me when it's getting closer, if I'm still living in Moab I might be able to ride a day or two with you. Watch some youtube and read Rodzilla's Moab 101 (best intro to Moab dirt riding available). There's a lot to ride, grab a Lat. 40 Moab East and Lat. 40 Moab West do some day dreaming, what you have been told about is heavily weighted on the big DS side of riding around here, not surprising since it's ADVrider.
Kudos to Rodzilla for continuing to help folks out after putting a huge amount of effort to put out Moab 101!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014