ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
preplanning WAY in advance (spring 2013!) to truck out to Moab and do the basecamp / dayride loop thing for maybe 3 or 4 days.
i have yet to acquire a Moab trail map (which i'll be partially planning out day rides for the group) but would like suggestions as to best places to stay, what trails to hit, etc.
good riders, on factory legal d/s stuff (not real dirt bikes!) we do want to hit singletrack too, not just jeep trails.

i'm sure someone has some suggestions?

tia,

ps? we have plated legal bikes, do we need utah "ohv" tags as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post

5. Not really appropriate for your bike but since you will have DOT tires, it might be interesting... It my favorite trail:

Slickrock

Have fun!

As far as Camping: Camp on Sandflats road near slickrock or camp down Kane Creek road. Both are amazing.
Deceptive photo since it's mostly showing Hell's Revenge, but Slickrock and Hell's Revenge are basically the same trail because there are so many ways to ride the two of them together and alternate routes to connect them. My point is that if you guys are good riders there will be no problem with these trails at all on all 650 class DS bikes DR650, KLR, 650L. Slickock was the second trail I took my GF on on her XT225 with Dunlop 606's with about 20 psi. OK I screwed up and forgot to lower her tire pressure...she cleaned it though (that time)......luckily!
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
thanks for the info. next up: when are the usual times that would be possible to ride out there? we're thinking around spring break, usually late march / early april? how's the weather / riding that time of year?
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
Deceptive photo since it's mostly showing Hell's Revenge, but Slickrock and Hell's Revenge are basically the same trail because there are so many ways to ride the two of them together and alternate routes to connect them. My point is that if you guys are good riders there will be no problem with these trails at all on all 650 class DS bikes DR650, KLR, 650L. Slickock was the second trail I took my GF on on her XT225 with Dunlop 606's with about 20 psi. OK I screwed up and forgot to lower her tire pressure...she cleaned it though (that time)......luckily!

Yes. Deceptive but close
I often link the two up. I think entering from Hells Revenge by the park gate is a fun way to do a lap.

Were you mad at your gf or trying to make her not want to ride with you? Slickrock as a second ride had to have had ulterior motives....

I do think it is a must ride if one is visiting Moab!
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

well maybe now we may rent a condo or something, if we were to run real dirtbikes can you access the riding from town (not sure where exactly, just a blanket q at this point) or would you need to truck the bikes out to a trailhead somewhere? and what's the range one would need?

i ask because i have a wr250r, and a ktm 200 (which isn't street legal). i'm sure fuel range wouldn't be an issue on the wr, but the 200 can do maybe 60 or 70 miles a tank.

sorry for all the newb q's, i haven't gotten any maps yet. do the benchmark maps cover the area pretty well?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,494
March and early April are *usually* rideable and about perfect. I have had snow out there that early but not often.

Plated bikes can ride from town and it USED to be the local constable would look the other way on non-plated bikes OBEYING the rules. But scuttlebutt is that is not necessarily so anymore.

MOST of the trailheads are 3-10 miles from the center of town and easily accessed.

Get the http://www.latitude40maps.com

Get Moab East and Moab West (you don't need Slickrock map)

Here is a write up I did a while back. It is a bit dated but still covers most of the popular trails. It is written for enduro bikes, a lot of these trails are not what *I* would call big bike friendly.

Sorry for the 3 post format...too many words for the forum rules to do one post

Certified SAE J1287 sound tester

Rodzilla screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 01:06 PM
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

MOAB 101

Moab is located about 30 miles south of I-70 on Highway 191 in Southeastern Utah. Years ago the area was mined for uranium and many of the trails are the remains of the mining operations. These days the major export is potash and salt. Nestled at the bottom of La Sal Mountain, Moab is now considered “Mecca” by both mechanized and non-mechanized fans alike. The area is unlike anywhere else in the world and is really special because it is still open to OHV use.

We are at great risk of losing much of this area, the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance is working hard to get Moab, the San Rafael swell, White Wash and all OHV access closed! Honestly, most, if not all of the wonderful areas in the region would never see anyone if it had to be done on foot, it’s just that forbidding of a place and most of the arches and overlooks would take a considerable hike to get to.

How can you help? Join USA-ALL the Utah Shared Access Alliance, they are a grass roots organization working to keep the public lands in Utah open for the public. I urge you to join Blue Ribbon Coalition as well, they are fighting both locally and nationally to keep our riding areas open! http://usa-all.com/ and http://www.sharetrails.org/

Please, familiarize yourself with the cryptobiotic soils found in the Moab area, it is a living organism and tire or foot prints destroy it’s ability to hold the soils in place. Tracks take decades to repair themselves if they re-grow at all. WE MUST STAY ON EXISTING TRAILS OR WE WILL LOSE!

Moab: The Town

Some information about Moab. From end to end, Moab is small (approx. 5,000 people) and easy to get around in. There is a full size grocery store, and lots of lodging options. My personal recommendation for meals is Moab Diner for breakfast Moab Brewery is pretty tasty as well. For some, getting off the main street and into some of the other establishments can be it’s own reward. For those in a hurry, there are most of the popular fast food places as well.

Moab Brewery has local micro brews, if you like a good adult beverage. Eddie McStiffs does as well, but there has been some rumblings that the owner is “anti moto” is this true? Don’t know for sure. Remember this is Utah, they have “different” liquor laws than the rest of the country.

For non-riders there is plenty of sight seeing, hiking, Jeep rentals and tours as well as river rafting available, shopping is limited to mostly tourist type stores and there is no Wal-Mart If you make this trip, you owe it to yourself to go to Arches National Park (sorry no OHV in the park) but it is awesome!!!

Jet for 4,000 to 6,000 feet, usually 2 steps down on the main and one clip leaner will put you in the ballpark. (Moab is about 4,200’ and you’ll be riding up to about 6k) If you are riding up on La Sal Mtn. you will be much higher but I have heard much of the trails on the mountain have been closed.

There are a couple of motorcycle shops in Moab that caters to dirt bikes; Arrowhead Motorsports. If you need 2-stroke oil, a tire or generic stuff, they'll probably have it. Here is their site: http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com/ and kind of cater to the Dual Sports. Madbro’s is on the main drag (towards the south end of town) and has a lot of the usual dirt stuff.

Another option in a pinch may be Dale at Elite Tours he may have an odd or end but no real “shop” per se.( e did have an XR400 throttle cable for me one time) So it’s a good idea to bring what you may need, levers, cables etc… the only other option would be in Grand Jct. CO. (I-70 business loop south of town) and that is about 1.5 hours away by car.

If you want to do Moab via a tour, Dale is first rate. He can tailor your ride to the amount of miles you want to cover and your abilities. http://www.elitemotorcycletours.com/

DO NOT put new tires on for the trip…Slick Rock eats tires. The set of meats with one or two rides left sitting in your shed are your best bet. You may want to bring a clean filter, as the sand in Moab is very fine and clogs filters fast.

Moab is really big with the Mtn. Bike crowd and the Jeepers, everyone gets along for the most part but some of the pedal bikes will look down their noses at you. Remember the Slick Rock trail was made by dirt bikes 30 years ago but the pedal guys think it is theirs! But be cool and you’ll have fun. Please stay “off the pipe” when passing pedal bikes. If you come up on a pedaler who is trying to clear a tough section, pull off and wait, you have the advantage of horsepower and a face full of exhaust does not make friends.

My friend Mark Weaver put it best when he said:

“Have fun while you're there, and take the effort to impress people by:
a) being less of a redneck goofball than some of the jeepers, and
b) being less of a Subaru-driving yuppie knee-jerk greenie weenie than most of the mountain bikers.”

This is High Desert; you absolutely must have a drink system. People have died on these trails due to dehydration, carry as much water as you can and drink it!! Even in the spring and fall temperatures can reach 100 degrees with 20% humidity. Most people prefer the area in April and May or in September to October as the weather is at it’s best. I tend to avoid the two weeks around Easter, Easter Jeep Safari is in town and you’ll be sharing the trails, restaurants and lodging with 2000 Jeeps. They also have a big car show in the spring, while the trails will be less crowded the town is full.

Riding Moab

The easiest way to ride Moab is to be dual sported, you can ride to almost all of the trail heads from town (areas like Top of the World are 30 miles out of town and a bit far on a dirt bike) but trailering to the riding areas is not a problem as the region is pretty confined. All of the popular trails have parking/staging areas and are within 10 miles of town. *Usually* the local law will look the other way when riding through town if you don’t have a plate (a state trooper on the highway may have other ideas though) as long as you are not drawing attention to yourself. I would doubt though if a quad could get away with it.

When I rate these trails it is from an average rider standpoint. I love this sport and ride when I can. I know my skill level (mediocre at best). What I find hard may be a walk in the park for you. When reading published trail guides make note if the ratings are for Mtn. Bikes or Jeeps, 5+ double diamond on a Jeep may be a bump in the trail for a skilled cycle rider. Again Moab is as much about where you are riding as the ride itself!

Here is a great site that shows some of these: http://www.4x4now.com/mu4wd.htm remember it is written from the Jeep standpoint

Here is my list of "must do's"

Slick Rock/Hells Revenge/Porcupine Rim
Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Golden Crack
Kane Creek (if you like technical connect it to Pritchett Cyn!)

If you have time Monitor and Merrimac and Klondike Bluffs (these are great starter trails)

I have fallen in love with the Sovereign and Salt wash trails, which is a relatively new set of singletrack loops just north of town. I suggest doing a “Google” search on “Sovereign trail” and you will find information or look at this site: http://www.chpc.utah.edu/~mcuma/images/fall03/moab/sovereign/
The down side to this trail is it is easy to miss the best parts. The “canyon” portion, while not hidden, is really easy to ride by. The guys from “Ride with Respect” have put in several thousand hours adding new trail miles, please cherish this trail, protect it and leave it better than you found it! There are “money tubes” at many of the entrances, drop a buck or two to help keep this trail open and maintained!

You can find maps to all of the trails in Moab but I really recommend the “Latitude 40” maps from http://www.latitude40maps.com/ get both Moab east and Moab west, the Slick rock map is not needed.

There are many other trails such as Hurrah Pass, Amassa Back, Chicken Corners, etc… all are listed on the maps above and all have their good points. The trails listed below are the most popular and thus see the most traffic…but they also offer the best views etc…I list them because In my opinion they give the best bang for the buck if your stay is limited in the area.

Easier trails:

Klondike Bluffs (about 9 miles north of Moab) Difficulty 3, View 8+
Spur trail, this has a bit of everything, sand, hard pack and slick rock. There are two trailhead options, park at the highway (leave gate as you found it please) or drive in to the 2nd lot and cut off about 3 miles of dirt road. Most of it is Jeep or ATV track and the first few miles (to the second lot) in can be done with a car if it is not muddy. The last couple hundred yards is a little tight but not hard. There are Dinosaur tracks just off the trail as soon as you hit the big slick rock expanse (look for the ring of rocks to the left of the trail) Follow the trail to the end and you'll come to a gate with a "No motor vehicles sign" this is the edge of Arches Nat'l park. Park the bikes and hike in (pain in MX gear but totally worth the view!) it's probably a 1/4-mile hike to the overlook. This is usually the first ride I take people on who have not been to Moab.

Gemini Bridges/Monitor and Merrimac (4 +/- miles north of Moab) Difficulty 2, view 4
Loop trail. This is one of the more "Wide Open" areas of Moab. This area features more dirt roads, where you can open things up. But there is also some great slick rock, and a couple of cool arches. The area is criss-crossed with trails and if I remember there are a couple of technical places on the M/M portion but nothing tough on the Gemini side. (I have not ridden MM since ’99-’00 so I’m working from memory)

*I re-rode the Gemini trail 5/04 and the road has been graded to allow low clearance (Subaru) 4x4 (or 2wd truck) access to the bridges. Not a technical route but a neat chance to get to an arch you can walk across. You can also do the Bull Canyon Spur (marked on the Gemini trail) and get some sand riding and a neat view of the Gemini arches from below. The BLM has marked the dunes in Bull Canyon no-OHV, please be mindful and stay on the marked trail.

You can also connect to “Metal Masher” from the trails in the Gemini area; it is 24 miles long and has some good obstacles that would place it in the moderate trail area.

Rodzilla screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 01:12 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Moderate Trails:

Slick Rock/Hells Revenge/Fins-n-Things/Porcupine Rim
These four trails are in the Sand Flats Recreation area on the east side of town (there are blue directional signs pointing you to the area on the main street in town) This is a user fee area, it’s approximately $5 per vehicle (camper/van etc or 2 bucks for a bike if you are dual sported and ride in) the pass is good for 3 or 4 days. You can camp in the area (designated sites) but it is very wide-open and offers little shelter from wind or sun. Take a few minutes to experiment when riding the slick rock, traction is amazing and wheel spin is non-existent. Be aware that looping your bike over is a real possibility on the up hill sections if you grab too much throttle. It is possible to stop using your brakes in the middle of all but the steepest downhills.

Hells Revenge: Difficulty 5 view 4-5

This trial crosses the Slick Rock trail and is open to ATV and Jeeps, As soon as you enter the recreation area (just after the toll booth) you’ll see the trail marker on the left. This trail offers some of the steepest climbs/descents in the area and may be a bit intimidating if this is your first slick rock experience. “Campfires” painted on the rock mark the trail. The trail will loop around and drop off outside the tollbooth on the road leading to Sand Flats where you went in.

Slick Rock: Difficulty 4-7 view 6
Thisis the “definitive” Moab Mtn bike trail. It is open to two wheeled vehicles only. All slick rock (petrified sand dunes) the trail (actually a painted track on the rock) was created by dirt bikes in the late 60’s (well before the first Mtn. Bike). Most of the pedal bikes are cool and often look at you longingly as you power up things they struggle with. That said, we can be one happy family, you may get a few sneers, but let it roll off your back. The trail is divided into two sections, the practice loop (about 3 miles) and the main loop (around another 10). It is really important to not be “on the pipe” when passing the pedal bikers, if they are working hard at an uphill section please wait for them to clear the section. There are Dangerous areas (marked with yellow danger signs painted on the rocks) where there are steep drops. It is also important to follow the painted lines. This area is only about 20 square miles but a young man was lost out there and was not found for a week as he had ridden off of the marked trail, and there are a couple of spots where you top out on a climb to find the trial does a 90 degree right or left and straight ahead, goes straight down!

Fins-N-Things: Difficulty 4 view 4+
This trail is a little bit “lesser known” I have no idea why, it is about 1/4 mile down the road from the entrance to Slick Rock. On the right side of the road you’ll see the trail marker stating Fins-N-Things. If you pass the first entrance, the second will come up on the left. This trail crosses the road at least once so watch for traffic. Once on the trail, follow the painted “stegosaurs” on the rocks. The trail forks several times, options are marked either Sand Flats Road (the paved road to Slick Rock) or Porcupine Rim. Following the PR route will place you on Porcupine Rim approx. 200 yards from the main trail head and the paved road.

Porcupine Rim: Difficulty 5-6 View 9
If you don’t use Fins to get to PR, you can stay on the paved road. Follow the paved road past Slick rock until you come to a parking area with port-o-lets. It’s pretty obvious.

Spur, PR is a lot of fun, but really rocky. IMO it's different than most of the other popular trails. This is one trail where you really need to be aware of the pedal bikes, there are areas with little visibility and you can’t hear them coming.

Not much slick rock but lots of "baby heads" and ledges along with Sand on the far end. You will feel sore after this one! Watch for the big scenic overlook on the right (you GOTTA go look) The singletrack at the end has now been closed to moto (used to take you out to the old highway north of Moab. On the route out and back, you will come to a fork, one leading up and one leading down. Staying to the left will place you at the PR trail head and onto the paved road back to Slick Rock. Taking the right (downhill) will place you on the “Fins-N-Things” trail.

Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim (Just northwest of Moab on Potash Road) Difficulty 5-6 View 7
Drive out of town to the north; as soon as you cross the bridge (over the Colorado River) take your first left onto Potash road. Follow it back about 2-3 miles past the Indian carvings and the rock climbers; You’ll see the trail head/parking area on the right side. The first mile or so is just rocky jeep road then you’ll end up on a sand road. Follow it into the canyon and then you’ll go up a big “waterfall” (no water, you’ll know it!) At the top you’ll need to make a hard right to find the trail! (Lots of people have trouble with this spot) the trail is hidden behind a rock ledge. Follow it up the two sluice boxes and up to the slick rock dome. Note the arrows on the rock! Right goes to the “little Arch” and left continues up the trail. Once you follow the trail to the top of the mesa, you can look down on the town of Moab. Now you have a decision to make. After you get to the overlook where you can see the town, you can follow the trail to the north and it will “T”. If you go left it will take you through the Golden Spike trail and back to Poison Spider to make a loop. (this is a fun trail) There is one sandy hill climb that is pretty steep and has a bit of a rock lip at the top. It can be tough on a smaller bike.

If you go to the right it will take Golden Spike north to the Golden Crack trail and eventually dump you out about 5 or six miles north of town on the highway. A lot of this trail is marked only by cairns (stacks of rocks) and rubber marks on the rock. So keep and eye out. There is nothing on GS or GC harder than you’ll find on PS, but you do have to get across the “crack” and it can be intimidating (you can do it by hand if you need to (I have!) This trail will put you out at the big parking area that is the trailhead for Gemini Bridges.

Kane (or Cane) Creek trail (there are three ways to access this trail) It is a spur trail unless you connect it with Pritchett Canyon trail (see difficult trails). Difficulty 5 higher if there is a lot of water (there is one rocky downhill that can be tough) If you connect it to Behind the Rocks/Pritchett Canyon it becomes a 9 but mostly it’s just a plain old fun trail! View 4

If you run this as a spur trail, you can access it either from highway 191, south of town, (the only way I’ve done it) or from Kane Creek road (turn west at the McDonalds in town and follow it to the trail head. Stay left at the turn off for Hurrah Pass.)

If you go from the highway (191) side, follow the highway about 13 miles (+/-) to the south from town. You’ll see a Rest area on the left side of the highway the entrance to Kane is directly across the road. Once through the gate take an immediate left and down to the river bottom. If you get to a store called “Hole in the Wall” (good place to get water/ice). You’ve gone too far. This trail crosses the stream many times, and if there is water, expect to get wet! There are a few ledges and two good down hill “tough spots” until you get into the ravine then it’s just plain fun, but watch for oncoming traffic this is a two-way trail! Also be aware there is a barbed wire gate at the end of the water section, so watch for it! Once through the water section you’ll be on a dirt track (Jeep trail/fire road) through the canyon. Ride is pretty easy with no real obstacles but there are dips and wash outs on the trail so be prepared if you are going to go fast! Going all the way through puts you out on Kane Creek road, on the other side of the river from Poison Spider, and 4 or so miles farther west from the Pritchett entrance.

* I rode this on 5/’04 and noted that the quads have blazed some new trails through the brush on the north side of the Kane Creek trail, it is fun two track and as close to “tight” riding as can be found in the area. But this is not official trail and should be treated as such.

Steelbender: Difficulty 5-6 View 4

Spur/Loop (if you connect it back using roads) Steel bender is another “Mix” trail, with a bit of everything, the obstacles are a bit spread out with areas of sand two track in between. Many of the hard parts have work arounds but some do not. This is a perfect “just one more ride before we go home” trail. To get there, take Hwy 191 head south through town. Turn east on Spanish Trail Road. (Across from the Spanish Trail campground) Go through the round-a-bout at S. Murphy Ln. Continue straight, at the Y intersection turn right on E.Westwater Dr. Follow Westwater about ¼ mile, Steelbender will fork off to the right. The trail has two options. Once on SB, the trail will fork. If you go left, you will hit more of the “good stuff” this will loop back and re-connect to the trail just down the way from the right fork. In other words, turn left= longer loop, turn right=shorter route. The trail will drop back out on County road 175 and take you back to the highway. If you want to avoid the pavement…turn right on Las Sal Mtn loop road and head back to Spanish Valley road.

Top of the World: Difficulty 5 view 100! In my opinion this is the best view in Moab. The trail not particularly spectacular, but the view is…. This trail is a long way out of town so I try to do it on the way back to Colorado. Take the old highway out of town (turn northeast out of Moab before the river) about 30 miles. The parking area is on the south side of Dewey Bridge. Park, unload and take the dirt road 5-6 miles in. The second “spur” off to the right off the road is the TOTW trial. Lots of rocks and ledges but when the trail dead ends, you better stop or you’re in free fall for about 1500 feet.

Rodzilla screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 01:18 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Hardest trails:

Pritchett Canyon: Difficulty 8-9 (Kane Creek Road to Behind the Rocks) 6-7 (Behind the Rocks to Kane Creek Road) view 3:

From town turn west at the McDonalds onto Kane Creek Road, approximately 3 miles in you will see a parking area on the left for the trail, if you get to the Harrah pass exit, you’ve gone too far. The first portion of trail is in private property and the owner asks for a $2 donation to use his land. While I know some bypass this step, the owner could just as easily close the access. Be aware there is also a barbed wire gate you need to watch for in the first 100 yards. Please leave it open or closed as you found it.

This trail has lots of tricky parts, climbs, ledges and technical junk (the first 100 yards has a 4 foot ledge). There are 7 major obstacles in the span of about 3 miles only one of which has a bypass. The degree of difficulty varies with the amount of traffic the area has seen and how many of the spots have rocks stacked in the area from previous visitors If you go all the way through it will dump you out on the “Behind the rocks*” trail.

If you ride through to Behind the Rocks you will come to a “T” intersection. Turning left will continue to the technical side of “Behind the rocks” and you’ll find a handful of nice tough spots, turning right at the intersection will put you on the easy route to the highway, mostly graded road. The large red rock is called Prostitute Butte (yes it’s real name) and has three arches in it. This is a good camp area if it is available (open primitive camping). Following the road to the northeast will place you on Hwy 191 10 miles south of town. Turn left to go to Moab, Right to get to Kane Creek or the Hole in the Rock Store.

I have only ridden this trail the ”hard way” from Kane Creek Road through Pritchett Cyn. to Behind the Rocks, down the highway to Kane Creek and back to the start point. If you were to ride it the opposite direction the difficulty level drops some as all but two of the tough spots are now down hill instead of up hill. If you plan to go this direction, follow the signs on Behind the Rocks trail marked “Pritchett Arch”

Moab Rim:Difficulty 9 view 8

Moab Rim is located on Kane Creek Road (turn west at the McDonalds in town) and follow the road back next to the river. The parking area is about 1-2 miles in or so. There is a large sign that warns the Jeepers that this is a 5+ trail and that 90% of the vehicles that attempt this suffer body damage. It is very short, but intense. It goes to the top of the mesa and the trail is jeep wide. But you have a wall on one side and a 300 ft drop on the other and you’re climbing 3-4 foot steps all the way up. Pretty technical.

OTHER AREAS:

White Rim Trail (Long Loop)

White Rim circles Canyonlands National Park. Because it is in the park, all vehicles are required to be plated. There are several ways to enter the park, either via the main paved entrances or via Potash Road from Moab. If you enter on the main roads, you will need to pay the park entrance fee, if you enter off of Potash Road, there is no entry fee, unless you leave via the main roads (if you want to make a loop you will have to pass an entry booth to loop back to Potash) This is a very long ride, between 110 and 118 miles depending on spurs taken during the trip. Mtn bikers often do this trip over 3 days. Not a technical run, it’s mostly dirt road but the scenery is breathtaking. There is one climb, a rock strewn hill called Murphy’s hog back that would require your attention. Then north west section of the loop follows the river and there are several places you can stop and get your feet wet if you are so inclined.

****NOTE*** There are reports that Rangers are enforcing speed limits in the park, those speeds are agonizingly slow for dirtbikes (15-25 mph) just an FYI

If you want more info let me know.

Rodzilla screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 01:19 PM
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

wow, thanks for the writeup. tons of info! this is very helpful for me, as i am kind of an A-R planner.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,524
Quote:
wow, thanks for the writeup. tons of info! this is very helpful for me, as i am kind of an A-R planner.
Avoid spring break, easter, memorial and labor days if at all possible

Feel free to PM, seen it once or twice
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,347
free camping

If you want to dry camp for free, and have great access to many of the trails listed here (except maybe Kane Creek),
Take hwy 191 south from I-70 to rt 313. this heads out west to Canyonlands N.P. Go about 3 miles or so ( hey I wasn't driving!) look for a big paved overlook on the left. Directly across from this, on the right, is a big dirt road headed west, takes you out to BLM. Go about 1.5 miles, come to a big "Y", hang right. Then just start looking for camp sites. Many awsome ones, and you can ride out in the westerly direction for days. You are only a few miles from Schaffer trail, drops you down onto White Rim Trail.
BTW, you better make your trip 3 weeks long!
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

thanks for all the replies. lots of info to consume, but i have time!

the one bummer i can see is that one friend will likely be a teacher by then, and will only be able to get oregon's spring break off. is spring break really that bad out there? seems it's kinda out of the way of the normal spring break stuff?

re: orv tags. is that something i can buy when we get there (where?) or should i pre-buy them?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Quote:
thanks for all the replies. lots of info to consume, but i have time!

the one bummer i can see is that one friend will likely be a teacher by then, and will only be able to get oregon's spring break off. is spring break really that bad out there? seems it's kinda out of the way of the normal spring break stuff?

re: orv tags. is that something i can buy when we get there (where?) or should i pre-buy them?

Spring Break...

Cons: Tons of college age mtn bikers and families from CO who have cabin fever.

Pros: Tons of college age co-eds in spandex.

The "free" camping areas close to town (i.e. along Potash Road aka Wall street) will fill up fast. Trails like Slickrock will have more traffic, the sandier trails will be bike free.

There are two Maverik Gas stations in town (one on both ends of town) they carry the stickers. MUCH easier to write down your VIN for the bikes BEFORE you go in.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Pitster
miniac

Oddometer: 347
Also some great single track about 20-25 miles north near White wash and Ten Mile.
So many trails so little time!!

www.nomadrider.com Adventure luggage and gear
Pitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #30
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
There is camping everywhere. If you are self contained, I would go that route.