User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
My R90/6 build

Well after doing alot of searching I found my bike. I was close to getting a 75/7 but the guy selling decided to never answer his emails and left no phone number in his craigslist ad so I moved on. After some searching in surrounding states I found a 76 R90/6 in Warrensburg IL about a 5 hour drive from my home in Des Moines IA. We called the guy and everything sounded pretty straight forward, he was honest and hid nothing. I made a deal with him and this past Saturday (Dec 3rd) I took off to get it.

Ran into some trouble about half way to Warrensburg, we took my fathers truck to pick the bike up and with out warning the transmission went out on it. Had to have the truck towed and then picked up a penske truck and finished the rest of the drive to get it. After arriving and looking the bike over I was pleasantly surprised that it was cleaner then expected from the picture of it on craigslist.

Got home late Saturday night and parked it in the garage. Came back Sunday to my fathers house where he has a shop and started taking everything apart. The plan is to strip it down, sandblast the frame and put a new coat of paint on the frame. The bike will be painted wimbledon white with the classic black stripes. The motor is not going to clean up as much as I would like so I am doing the motor / wheels black. It needs new mufflers and a new odometer and a new battery still.

Ok enough talking here are some pictures!

At the sellers house we pulled it outside to take a good look at it.

Loaded up in the Penske truck

Unloaded in our shop

And the following pictures are what we accomplished Sunday. Were taking everything off the frame, should have the motor/tranny pulled tonight after work.

I will be continuing to update this thread with progress pictures.

lmyamen screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 09:01 PM
lmyamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,247
You said you are painting the motor black because it won't shine up as much as you want? I think that's what you said. It is possible to clean and shine the motor. It's a lot of work and there are special products and procedures that will help. But I don't think this or any Beemer is impossible to clean. It will be different with everything black in a white frame. I'm not sure how well that will work out.

How's the truck doing?

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
You said you are painting the motor black because it won't shine up as much as you want? I think that's what you said. It is possible to clean and shine the motor. It's a lot of work and there are special products and procedures that will help. But I don't think this or any Beemer is impossible to clean. It will be different with everything black in a white frame. I'm not sure how well that will work out.

How's the truck doing?

Charlie

The motor itself has scrathes/scuffs that wont rub out so I am really liking the concept of painting the motor/wheels black. The frame is staying black though I have no intention of painting it white ha. The truck is just sitting at a friends house right now, AAA only tows 100 miles and we had a friend who lived 96 miles from where it broke down. Were going to pick it up next weekend and tow it home ourselves.

Here is a pic of the black wheels/motor that got me thinking about it. My bike is not going to look like this one as I am keeping the seat/fenders the same but this pic will give you an idea of the black motor and wheels.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Yay, another r90 /6 to add to the gang.
Love mine to death. It's my life-long bike!
Click the link in my signature if you want to check out my full rebuild.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Yay, another r90 /6 to add to the gang.
Love mine to death. It's my life-long bike!
Click the link in my signature if you want to check out my full rebuild.
Fantastic build! Would you mind if I shot you a few messages in the future if any assembly questions pop up when I am putting everything back together?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyamen View Post
Fantastic build! Would you mind if I shot you a few messages in the future if any assembly questions pop up when I am putting everything back together?
You can absolutely send questions my way!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,247
The overall effect is not bad to my eyes. I would do the license plate holder somehow differently. And a few other details I didn't like but overall it works, I think. Good luck with it.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

the only thing my R90 will resemble on that bike is the motor and wheels. The stock R90/6 Fenders/metal will be staying on my bike. I just showed that one to give you and idea of a black motor and wheels
Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
SDVET
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Laugh

It looks like you are starting with a good bike! It is a fun journey bringing them back, or to whatever you want.
Mine started a little rougher, but I love it now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=coal

They are fun bikes to ride!
By the way, I still have the nice Vetter fairing, saving it just for you
SDVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Aww yeah!

R90/6's are a hoot.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just some progress from tonight. Got the motor/tranny pulled touched up the black paint on the frame and started to sandblast a few bits from the engine that I could. Since we are painting the engine I figure anything that Can be removed and sandblasted will help cut down on the pre paint cleaning process that needs to be done.

Difference between being sandblasted and not

Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Decided to test out a few spots with a rubbing compound we picked up to see how they would clean up. Decided to polish the wheels instead of painting them black. I may go to a Morris mag wheel in the future but would have to find a decent price on one to actually go through with it.

bottom right side of wheel tested

Right side bar tested

Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #14
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last night we replaced the base gaskets and the head gaskets. And sandblasted the cylinders to prep for paint.

Not much to see, cylinder/heads off

Degreasing the heads

Finished polishing the front wheel.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
lmyamen OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just some small updates. Motor is back together. Heads/Cylinder sandblasted. I am scrubbing the whole exterior of the motor with carb cleaner. I have to get all the oil/grease off the motor before I paint it other wise it wont have a clean surface for the paint to stick to. One more night of scrubbing with the wire brush and carb cleaner and it will be ready for paint.

The old mufflers were rusted out so purchased another set from ebay. Old muffler vs new.