User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
moralem OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Cape Town to Windhoek

I am new to this forum, usually hang out over at the BMWMOA with my 2011 RT. But, I am going to South Africa next year to visit a friend and we are interested in taking a guided tour from Cape Town to Namibia. He is relocating from South America to Capetown but I will be doing the research on the best adventure tour companies to select from. However, I need some help in at least hearing if anyone could name the top 3-4 adventure tour companies based out of Cape Town. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
moralem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
Three Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Why bother to pay for a Guided tour? It's a pretty straightforward ride, the roads are safe (the dirt roads in Namibia are great for a big GS) and there is plenty of good accommodation on the way. When I did this run (see my sig line "Noob in Namibia") my mate paid to have his bike ridden south from Windhoek by the rental people -cost him 3 days rental- if time is a problem. For our first trip we used Tony France at SAMT http://www.sa-motorcycle-tours.com/ who is a really nice bloke to deal with and will book a GPS guided tour for you. I didn't much like dealing with Karoo Biking for our Namibia trip, but the bike we took was in good shape and came from Executive Mororrad Rentals, but their link seems to be broken, although these guys are at the same address http://www.motoberlin.co.za/ .

Three Dawg screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 03:48 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
moralem OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the referral. I will check it out.....The only reason we are thinking of a tour is that all the logistics are handled by the vendor. We will have the time to ride up and back so that is not a problem. Just having to find accommodations and book them and then make sure where to find fuel just seems a bit daunting. And we would just prefer to ride and pay the premium to have someone else who knows the region. My friend is originally from Cape Town but has been living in South America for the past 10 years.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Three Dawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Aye, there's no doubt that sorting out accomms etc does take time. The map we used (Mapstudio?) had gas stations marked, although one, in the middle of nowhere, was burnt out which wasn't too useful... I don't particularly remember gas being a problem, especially as on those loose surface roads you should be keeping the speeds reasonable and therefore the consumption excellent.

Anyway, there are several threads on the main section of this website to go through covering the areas you'lll be passing through, and the guys on the Wild Dog http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php forum in South Africa are very helpful and knowledgable- it's their back yard after all.
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,029
Moralem, take a look at Magic Adventures, based in Germany but operating in South Africa and Namibia. They provide one-stop, inclusive packages with no surprises. Small groups, very personal and friendly, quality accommodations.

Disclosure: I do have an affiliation with them, primarily English-language communications services.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
karabasan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
We will be making 11 day ride from Capetown to Windhoek between 5-16 April 2011. Organisers are local company "No Limits". We will have a 4X4 backup and a spare bike all the way.

I can send you detailed information (pdf ) if you are interested.
karabasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,690
You my friend will have a great time!

I hope you are planning on renting a GS or equivalent. Some of the most beautiful sights are off tarmac a bit.
The peoples of ZA and Namibia are often friendly and good folks . Have fun .
Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
moralem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabasan View Post
We will be making 11 day ride from Capetown to Windhoek between 5-16 April 2011. Organisers are local company "No Limits". We will have a 4X4 backup and a spare bike all the way.

Please forward your detailed information. We are beginning our planing for later in the year. My friend just acquired a new BMW F800GS. My original plan was to rent but he is looking at used KTMs that I would purchase while there and then leave it behind for him to sell to the next guy and I could recoup some of my costs. Based on the security and insurance deposits that the outfitters require, might be cheaper to buy a good used bike and not worry about damages. I have been checking some of the ads out there and there are some pretty good deals.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Horsepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Tour

Drop us a line and we will help you any time
Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
redbaroness
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabasan View Post

Hello, this is one year later, but I wonder if you still have the info? Also, how did your 11 day ride go and how was your experience with that company? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
byways
byways

Magic Adventures, referenced below, is no longer operating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Moralem, take a look at Magic Adventures, based in Germany but operating in South Africa and Namibia. They provide one-stop, inclusive packages with no surprises. Small groups, very personal and friendly, quality accommodations.

Disclosure: I do have an affiliation with them, primarily English-language communications services.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Africa4Adventure
Chaz

Oddometer: 22
We are operating

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Magic Adventures, referenced below, is no longer operating.
Hi, we are operating and can help you out if you are still looking?
Africa4Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
byways
byways

Great to hear! Perhaps you should launch a US West division ...
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Al-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Local DS scene go check our "Advrider forum"

www.wilddog.za.net/forum

Not nessecary for a guided tour, open roads, straight forward. Namibia is beautiful and so is the rest of Southern Africa

PREV: 04 KLR650, 96 R1100GS, 06 WeeStrom, 05 DRZ400, 00 XR650R, 07 KTM525XC Desert Racer
Al-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Hi folks.
We are looking at doing a 3 week self guided tour out of Cape Town later this year and will need to be hiring 9 or 10 bikes. 800GS, 1200 GS or Tigers or similar.
Any advice on where to hire the bikes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote