ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
rama130 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Handguards for a 990 (2007)

Hello,
I'm searching for handguards for a 990 from 2007.
I've already used Enduro Eng in a Africa Twin and they're bullet proof.
I've been trying to find out what are the most resistant handguards that fit the 990.
I would like to ear about your experience and some pics ;)

The options apparently are: Cycra, Barkbusters and Enduro Engineering.

Cheers
XRV 750
rama130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Look at Highway Dirt Bikes. Stout units but IMO you may need to have the ability to do some bending to get them to fit right. Myself and others had issues. Search OC there is a long thread or two on them. Mine hit the fairing, I gave up and will have to wait till I get to a place where I can do some bending. They are made very heavy duty,I have Cycra's on a couple bikes and they fit good,easy to install but on a big bike I would go HWD,even if they need a tweek.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
These bad boys have held up to everything I've thrown at them and they work great with the Scott's damper. I ended up painting the bar clamp bits flat black to cut down on reflection and they took a bit of bending to get the perfect fit I wanted.
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
plumbtired
plunging into the farkle

Oddometer: 184
2nd xcf

HDB's here, some many diff bar config tweak to ur fit. Many say loose fittment to start then tighten down, search HDB for thread plenty of info there.

08 990
98 DR

plumbtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
I recently put the Cycra hand guards on my bike. An upgrade over the stock all-plastic units, but did require a little subtle modification (the use of thin spacers to clear the brake master cyclinder). The mount was still clean. The plastic hand shields are not much to write home about but work fine.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 12:22 AM
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
I have the Cycra's but when I buy another set it will be HDB for sure.. they are bulletproof..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
+1 For the Cycra's

They have held up well on my 990 ADV as it has taken several dirt naps - a couple over 25 mph. Plastic guards are scuffed up - but I figure it adds character and they still work fine.
As mentioned above - you have to put some spacers between the mount and bar to clear the master cylinder ( and I ground away a portion of the master cylinder as well to get the clearance I wanted).
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
CROM
Canuck del sur

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCanon View Post
These bad boys have held up to everything I've thrown at them and they work great with the Scott's damper. I ended up painting the bar clamp bits flat black to cut down on reflection and they took a bit of bending to get the perfect fit I wanted.
+ 1 for the Fastways.....160km/hr slide.....some aluminum ground off, but all the important stuff intact. No fitting issues for me.

2009 990 ADV
CROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
rama130 OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys ;) Other of the issues I must check is the existence of european resellers! Otherwise the customs will add a quite large amount of money to the bill.
XRV 750
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
No-one seems to mention the stock protectors (are they really that bad?) or barkbusters which (apparently) provide a trouble free (no mods required) fit.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
No-one seems to mention the stock protectors (are they really that bad?) or barkbusters which (apparently) provide a trouble free (no mods required) fit.
Since you asked...

I don't think the stock hand guards are *bad* they do pretty good to protect your hands from branches and rocks (shot from your buddy's rear wheel when he's ahead of you). However, if you want *more* protection for your expensive master cylinders that are mounted at each lever - clutch and front brake - especially during a simple tip-over when you're on uneven terrain, then a hand guard with a metal structure is the next best logical step. The difference between the various popular brands is probably mostly trivial - other than those that provide a good fit. Some, like the Highway Dirt Bikes, even offer a wider area of protection.

The other thing with the stock all-plastic guards is that they tend to swivel up (if not absolutely tight) under force. So during a fall they can slip up and then leave your expensive master cylinders or handy clutch/brake levers prone to damage during a tip over. If you only ride on the roads (most of the time) then the stock guards are probably just fine. If you ride on rocky or un-even soils then having a firmer guard is probably a good investment for your levers/master cylinders.

That is all.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC

SierraJeep screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 10:05 AM Reason: I missspelled a word
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #12
bairesman
Road warrior

Oddometer: 230
Buy HDB, you won't regret it. They are great quality and Paul is a very nice guy...
bairesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
I recently put the Cycra hand guards on my bike. An upgrade over the stock all-plastic units, but did require a little subtle modification (the use of thin spacers to clear the brake master cyclinder). The mount was still clean. The plastic hand shields are not much to write home about but work fine.
The Enduro Engineering plastic shields fit the Cycra hand gards and look a lot better.

I think Cycra are the strongest. I crash hard on my 450 and the Cycra just need repositioned after you get home. I had Acerbis on my last dirt bike and was alwasy replacing parts on them after a crash. My OE guards on the 950 are pretty damaged after one small crash on dirt. The OE one are just plastic, with the size of the 950 I would not expect them to survice one crash on real rocks.
04 FZ1

DrKayak screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 12:01 PM
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
rama130 OP
Adventurer

Hi,
the HDB are too expensive.. My indecision is about cycra, barkbusters and Enduro Eng (also because these are easily bought in Europe).

According to the knowledge gathered:
HDB, excelent quality, need some work to fit properly, expensive.
FIT, excelent quality, expensive.
Cycra need some modification to be properly fitted and are excellent.
Barckbustrs, fit out of the box, but not sure about the material resistance. Good price;)
Enduro Eng, no sure about fitting out of the box, excellent resistance, good price.

Did any of you mounted enduro engineering in a 990 (the break master cylinder is huge)?
XRV 750
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairesman View Post
Buy HDB, you won't regret it. They are great quality and Paul is a very nice guy...
And maybe the last set of guards you will ever buy . Not saying spend what you dont have, Like mentioned above-I have Cycra's on a couple bikes and like them. I have also had to tweek them on the trail a couple times because the have bent, Throttle side ( I try not to fall- but If I do- I fall right ???) . I think I could put my 990 on a 1 point landing on my HWD guards and they wont move. I do like the shape of the Cycra plastic over the HWD but.... Still going to say HWD all the way for the big boy. You could put up a W2B post in flee market, maybe someone will pull a set off a bike they are selling and do a low budget trade or just have a set they never put on and need the money. I scored a few things on FM buy asking instead of just looking, worth a shot.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote