Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #16
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yah, I've been told over and over by 'people who know' that the clip-in pedals racers use will produce something like a 20% performance improvement over ordinary pedals. Having run the same course with and without these pedals, I never saw any improvement at all. But whenever I mention that, the response I get is that this is because I wasn't using the correct pedaling technique.

Cool, I'll call the bike store and see if they have any in stock. The ones my bike came with are these:

Those are Speedplays and my bud loves them. I have never tried them. Get your shop to set you up with a few different styles to demo. Whatever you try get the shop to set you up for as light a release as possible. I didn't like any style until I started setting them as light as possible. I never learned to like Shimano MTB style. I like Look style although they are a pain to clip into for me, and Crank Brothers. Generally speaking, Crank Brothers are for MTB type shoes and Look are for road type shoes.

I'll see if I can pull a few links for you on the pedaling efficiency front.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Here ya go.

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/...dal-Stroke.pdf

More reading can be found by Googling clipless pedal efficiency study.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Those are Speedplays and my bud loves them. I have never tried them.
I hate them. To get your feet out of them you have to twist your heels outward and pull sideways, which is a totally unnatural movement. Getting into them is almost as awkward, although I'm told they loosen up with use. They're also maintenance intensive, and constantly need to be cleaned and lubricated.

Quote:
Get your shop to set you up with a few different styles to demo. Whatever you try get the shop to set you up for as light a release as possible. I didn't like any style until I started setting them as light as possible. I never learned to like Shimano MTB style. I like Look style although they are a pain to clip into for me, and Crank Brothers. Generally speaking, Crank Brothers are for MTB type shoes and Look are for road type shoes.

I'll see if I can pull a few links for you on the pedaling efficiency front.
I just talked to someone at the bike store. He says he's very familiar with the pedals you mentioned, and that they're going to start stocking them soon. They should have some in by the middle of the week for me to look at.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I hate them. To get your feet out of them you have to twist your heels outward and pull sideways, which is a totally unnatural movement. Getting into them is almost as awkward, although I'm told they loosen up with use. They're also maintenance intensive, and constantly need to be cleaned and lubricated.

I just talked to someone at the bike store. He says he's very familiar with the pedals you mentioned, and that they're going to start stocking them soon. They should have some in by the middle of the week for me to look at.
Get the shop to set the release very light.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here ya go.

Excellent! I'll be forwarding this link to some of my bicycle riding friends.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
I'm not a racer but I have done more than my fair share of riding.
I'd like to weigh in on the clipless issue.

My experience is that clipless are just more comfortable. I started on
pedals with toe clips and the switch to SPD gave me a better foot position (big feet)
on the pedal and lateral float. Efficiency is really debatable but comfort cannot
be underrated.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
I have tried 3 different styles and have found the Crank Brothers style to be the simplest and easiest.
I have a set on my mountain bike - love em, but was hesitant at first having never rode clipins. They are rebuildable as well - picked mine up used for $40, and will rebuild should the springs become weak. We dont have much for off road trails here around toledo (that I know of anyways) so I may swap them onto a hypothetical road bike that should be working its way into my life this spring.

Very easy to clip in/clip out of. Pay attention to the orientation of the cleat you when you put it on the shoe - one way is "looser" than the other, making the clip come free with less rotation of your heel. I've had my feet pop out just riding causally down the sidewalk which can be annoying.

The worst part of the crank bros design is the fact that once you have them installed, you are pretty much committed to wearing cycling shoes at all times. The other clipin styles you could probably pedal for a couple miles platform style in regular shoes if you wanted to go to a store or something, whereas these are pretty difficult to do so. I used to commute to class during college with the clipin mountain bike shoes and then look like a real asshole in the hallway going "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" every step on the tile

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S

Crocodile Tears screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 01:09 PM
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #23
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
I have a set on my mountain bike - love em, but was hesitant at first having never rode clipins. They are rebuildable as well - picked mine up used for $40, and will rebuild should the springs become weak. We dont have much for off road trails here around toledo (that I know of anyways) so I may swap them onto a hypothetical road bike that should be working its way into my life this spring.

Very easy to clip in/clip out of. Pay attention to the orientation of the cleat you when you put it on the shoe - one way is "looser" than the other, making the clip come free with less rotation of your heel. I've had my feet pop out just riding causally down the sidewalk which can be annoying.

The worst part of the crank bros design is the fact that once you have them installed, you are pretty much committed to wearing cycling shoes at all times. The other clipin styles you could probably pedal for a couple miles platform style in regular shoes if you wanted to go to a store or something, whereas these are pretty difficult to do so. I used to commute to class during college with the clipin mountain bike shoes and then look like a real asshole in the hallway going "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK" every step on the tile
They have a variety of styles in their line-up.

http://www.google.com/products?q=cra...ers+acid&hl=en

http://www.google.com/search?q=crank...&tbm=shop&aq=0
Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #24
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here ya go.

Saturday I stopped in at the bike store and they showed me the Crank Brothers pedal you were talking about. The sales guy actually uses these on what he describes as his 'commuter bike'. I'm still undecided as to whether I actually need anything other than flat pedals, though. I found another study on line showing (among other things) that clipless pedals provide no demonstrable performance improvement over conventional flat pedals (pages 21-23):

http://www.powercranks.com/assets/pd...sis_BurnsJ.pdf
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #25
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Ah, I hear crank bros and instanly associate plain eggbeaters. Thats my experience.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 386
You and I are the same age so I figured i'm chime in with my 2 cents. Looks like you have gotten some good training advice so I won't add any more. Since you've already got a good "learning to ride clipless" story, chances are you won't have any more pedal trouble

After entering a crit race on a whim (and having NO idea what I had gotten into) I figured out pretty quickly that speed wasn't my thing and I took a liking to touring. First thing you know, I'm riding across North America with 2 women half my age! Awesome way to see the world if you have time!
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Just like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
First you shalt go slow.
Then thou shalt ride for 1k miles in the little ring
No more. No less.
The miles you shall ride shall be 1k and 1k shall be the amount of the riding you shall do
Once 1k miles have been reached, thou shalt introduce holy INTERVALS into your weekly mileage.
Under no circumstances shalt you ride more than 10% of your total weekly mileage doing the holy intervals
Holy intervals shall make you hurt. Since they are holy, they are good in *my* eyes and shall make you fast. Once you are fast, you shall snuff out your enemies' will and win races.

For more info, read 'time crunched cyclist' or Joe Friel's books. Or if you're really serious, find a coach.

M
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #28
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 997
+1 for Time crunched cyclist. I started on the program mid December after only riding sporadically most of the year. Yesterday I rode 72 miles in 3 hours with only a zone 2 heart rate. 24mph average for the whole 3 hours. All my pants no longer fit etc...
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #29
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
+1 for Time crunched cyclist. I started on the program mid December after only riding sporadically most of the year. Yesterday I rode 72 miles in 3 hours with only a zone 2 heart rate. 24mph average for the whole 3 hours. All my pants no longer fit etc...
That's amazing. That kind of performance would put you in the fastest group of riders in these parts. They usually do 80 mile rides, at an average speed of 23 mph.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #30
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Damn son! That's awesome!

Much mo bettah than when you started, no?!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: