Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #31
RC51LV
THE RC51 RIDER

Oddometer: 211
This morning i took the boots and did the bucket test , as i went shopping and came back 45 min later and they were dry inside ! Now iam going to put 2 coats of sno-seal and some high gloss black polish and we will see how they hold up for daily riding ...
RC51LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
I got em, i like em.

150ron screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 07:47 PM
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeIGGY View Post
Is Alpinestar good stuff? When I look at the boots(at least) in the store they look like junk. Never had a pair and probably never will do them (the boots at least) looking like junk

I have Alpinestar Gore-Tex touring boots. The finest footwear I've ever owned. I always choked on the price of genuine Gore-Tex, (snowmobile gear as well) but after several failed attempts with other wannabe membrane stuff, realize it IS the way to foul weather comfort.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #34
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,442
My 12-year old Firstgear boots were wearing out, and the Bilt Boots were priced to sell and available. The do leak in the rain, but do have a 5 Year warranty that I'll evaluate.

--Bill
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
I bought a pair of Bilt gloves because I was passing a CG store and my old AS we're shot. What a mistake. Additionally my dad bought a Bilt helmet because he is a cheapskate and even he says its a completely useless piece of junk..
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My 12-year old Firstgear boots were wearing out, and the Bilt Boots were priced to sell and available. The do leak in the rain, but do have a 5 Year warranty that I'll evaluate.

--Bill
Wife bought a Bilt Solar Modular helmet. After a few months, the mechanism for the sun shield broke. She walked it CG with a broke helmet, and out with a new one in less than ten minutes, most of which was spent BS'ing with the folks in the store. I was impressed with the warranty and that they honored it so quickly.

So, I took a jacket in for a ripped zipper about a week later. Exact same experience. The took one off the shelf in my size and I walked out with a brand new jacket.

People may think their gear is crap, but I've successfully crash tested one of their winter suits, and now had two awesome warranty experiences. I'm becoming a fan.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #37
HouseOfDexter
Flatlander

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
People may think their gear is crap, but I've successfully crash tested one of their winter suits, and now had two awesome warranty experiences. I'm becoming a fan.
I agree...

The Bilt has a 5 year warranty...(Most of the Sedeci has a lifetime...heated is only 1 year)...I took my Bilt Huricane Boots in...They replaced them because they where leaking at the toes after 3500 miles...
HouseOfDexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #38
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,024
Bumping an older thread to comment.

I recently bought a pair of Bilt waterproof Demon gloves. I was out riding, and got cold, and thought I might as well buy some new gloves. I tried on everything in the store that was insulated. All they had were Alpinestars and Bilt. They didn't have any insulated Sedici gloves. The 2 styles of Alpinestars gloves were both around $100. The Bilts were about $40. The Bilt does slightly resemble the Cortech Winter Scarab. But that's where the similarities end. I've tried on the Scarab, and will probably end up buying a pair. I have the non-winter version of the Scarab, and they've held up well for several years.

I bought the Bilt Demon, and wore them home. Yes my hands were warmer, but I was also wearing a waterproof glove, vs the ventilated glove I was wearing earlier! My fingers still got cold. The gloves are a little stiff, but they are new, and I would expect that to change with some break-in and wear. Problem is, I don't think they will.

The big reason being, the Demon gloves, although advertised as leather, and even though the tag inside says "outer leather" and "inner polyester", the gloves are not leather. There may be some leather, I think I've found a little down the fingers and thumb, but the majority of the glove is vinyl. The material is shiny, slippery and VERY thin. It's thinner than any leather I've ever seen, and the backing of this super thin material is cross hatched and man made. Obviously a vinyl material. There are some paces where you can fold back the edges and look at the backing to confirm this. You can even see the perfect cross hatched pattern grain from the outside. The darker, shiny material is definitely not leather, and most of the palm of the glove is covered in this plastic material. While there may be a thin leather under this vinyl, I don't feel at all safe with such a thin single layer of leather on my hands, in the unfortunate event of a crass or fall.

I will be taking the gloves back to Cycle Gear. They are not leather as advertised, and this is a deal breaker.

The comment about the MotoBoss brands being similar to Bilt, Motoboss was a former Cycle Gear house brand, just like Frank Thomas, Sedici, etc. The MotoBoss waterproof glove is similar to the Bilt glove, but not the same.

The Bilt glove is a $40 glove, and it shows.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #39
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,182
I have a pair of Sedeci gauntlets I bought in late 2012 or early 2013. I paid $79 for them and the first layer in the right palm is wearing through after 8k miles of riding.

I'm pretty happy with them in all other areas but won't pay for another pair. I've got similiar mileage on a pair of Fox Bombers and the leather is starting to get shiny in high wear areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #40
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
This is incorrect... Below poster has the correct story...

Bilt is CG's in house brand. After they dropped Frank Thomas (who partially had bankruptcy issues...) they opted to try to create their own line of imported gear. The FT gear was on the whole far above the quality of any of the Bilt / Sedici gear, and even the FT was hit or miss depending on the product.

CG stores have more or less ditched all of their quality gear and now push their house stuff as hard as possible, selling cheaper gear that gives them more of a profit in comparison to selling other vendors' brands. Quality has gone down the shitter. Most of their stores are now full of Bilt/Sedici products, and it's hard to find anything else on the counters. They even ditched HiFlo filters and only stock K&N at this point. It's a pretty sad state of affairs; I don't expect their new business model to last very long. Word has spread pretty rapidly around the net in regards to the substantial drop in quality.

I wouldn't chance it. Watch for other products on closeout and try to purchase some quality gear. I'm pretty disappointed in CG and wouldn't count on Bilt products being worth your while.
I don't have any Bilt gear so I can't comment, but I've been in the St. Louis and Nashville CG stores and found the same thing. Pretty much all they had on the floor was Bilt and Sedici. They did have a decent selection of helmets though.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #41
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeIGGY View Post
Is Alpinestar good stuff? When I look at the boots(at least) in the store they look like junk. Never had a pair and probably never will do them (the boots at least) looking like junk
I have a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore tex street boots that I like pretty good. They seem to have good protection and on a 3 day trip in September they were comfortable enough that I forgot I was wearing motorcycle boots. Didn't do any hikes, but sight seeing and walking around the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa for a couple of hours. I find them hotter than some other boots I have. Of course that makes them warmer too. Managed to avoid the rain in them so far, so I can't speak to there waterproofness. I think they're a pretty decent pair of boots.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #42
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,504
Don't fool yourself, their business model is doing very well. They do tailor inventory to their local market. For instance, we have a lot of First Gear and Alpine Stars in our local store. They do push their house brands hard, as they should. Not everyone can afford to go out and buy Aerostich or Klim gear. There is a huge market for reasonably priced gear, even if it is of mediocre quality. I've had two Bilt Storm winter suits. The first performed beautifully in a crash. The second saw daily winter riding use. This year I upgraded to a 'stich and Gerbing heated gear. So now I ride warmer, more comfortablye, and in thinner gear than before, but it cost me an arm and a leg to do so. Not everyone rides enough to warrant that investment, and that is where the Bilt gear comes into play. Also, how many other places in your area have that much gear on the shelves to try on and test out? Most dealerships keep it to a minimum, and most gear stores here in the Southeast tailor to the cruiser crowd. So CycleGear does a hell of a business.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #43
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Also, how many other places in your area have that much gear on the shelves to try on and test out? Most dealerships keep it to a minimum, and most gear stores here in the Southeast tailor to the cruiser crowd. So CycleGear does a hell of a business.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
That's what disappointed me about the two stores I was in. They didn't have much to try on except for Bilt/Sedici gear. The best store I've been in for having a lot of gear, from many manufacturers and in many sizes, to try on was Motorcycle Closeouts north of KC.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #44
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,024
I give Cycle Gear credit for being lenient with their return policies. They even have a 30 day trial period on helmets. They are constantly pushing their house brands and their warranties. I applaud them for that. But when they made the switch to Bilt/Sedici a few years ago, the local store here dumped nearly every other brand except for Alpinestars. They carry a few Dainese items, all very high priced. But over half of the helmet wall became Bilt. I fully understand that there is probably more money to be made by selling 30 cheap helmets a month than selling 3 high priced helmets where prices are fixed. But not offering the variety, really makes Cycle Gear look like they are only trying to attract the cheap skate customers, and no one else. I'd LOVE to be able to go there and sample gloves by manufacturers other than Sedici, Bilt and A-Stars.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #45
yoohoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
They suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote