Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #1486
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
@Swamp - Whats the weight saving kg's - difference in the weight of the two batteries? Stock vs Shorai LFX21A6-BS12?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #1487
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
heavy ass stock battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
@Swamp - Whats the weight saving kg's - difference in the weight of the two batteries? Stock vs Shorai LFX21A6-BS12?
Hey, make sure you get the correct polarity battery ! pretty sure the part # you posted above is not correct. check on shorai's web site!

the shorai is 3.something pounds (according to the box it came in).. about as much as my left shoe..... the stock battery weighs as much as this

yea, im not friggin kidding. seriously not kidding.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #1488
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
started putting it on a diet.

its on the stand waiting on the front and rear wheels to come back from Woody's

im about to take the forks off and remove the shit handle bars and the shit fake bark busters.

Nice... Interested in knowing more about your wheel setup same size? What about the handlebars I've been contemplating changing them. Found a few bars that can work. I have the bark busters but the HDB look way better.
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1489
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
started putting it on a diet.

its on the stand waiting on the front and rear wheels to come back from Woody's

im about to take the forks off and remove the shit handle bars and the shit fake bark busters.

Nice... Interested in knowing more about your wheel setup same size? What about the handlebars I've been contemplating changing them. Found a few bars that can work. I have the bark busters but the HDB look way better.

im going with excel 21 front and 18 in the rear / superlaced from woodies wheel works. im also replacing the whole front end with the Yamaha 250 forks. .. or at least im going to attempt it. the forks are at house of horsepower now being revalved for the Sertao.

not sure about the handlebars yet. i would like to keep the heated grips but that will require drilling and tapping a new set of bars. . or possibly just running a single bolt straight through the bars. ill go buy some stuff tomorrow to see what i can come up with.

ill probably end up running a good set of Cycra pro-bends. i have them on all my woods bikes and they are pretty much indestructible. i trust the Cycras.

ive looked at the highway dirt bike stuff. . every time i go to their website i get confused and give up. it requires too much effort. they sell Cycra at the local shop. they come in a box with a price tag on them

Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #1490
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Yeah I got the Shorai battery number off the photo of your Shorai - When I saw the chainsaw (before reading your comment) I thought you were going to use it to reduce weight on the Sertao
Old 03-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #1491
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
Yeah I got the Shorai battery number off the photo of your Shorai - When I saw the chainsaw (before reading your comment) I thought you were going to use it to reduce weight on the Sertao
yea, i ordered the wrong damn battery... thought i would save you the trouble.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #1492
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I'm glad you guys are talking about batteries. I want to toss the stocker for something maintenance free and sealed. I don't want a Shorai. I'm not really concerened about weight savings. Just want a better, reputable battery. I can't seem to cross reference anything that will work and my dealer wasn't really that helpful either.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #1493
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

has anyone other than me noticed that its impossible to remove the radiator cap ?? or am i missing something. someone prove me wrong ..

Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #1494
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I'm glad you guys are talking about batteries. I want to toss the stocker for something maintenance free and sealed. I don't want a Shorai. I'm not really concerened about weight savings. Just want a better, reputable battery. I can't seem to cross reference anything that will work and my dealer wasn't really that helpful either.
I would be curious as well, I have had zero issues so far, I have yet to charge my stock battery as well, I do try to drive it once a month here during the winter.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1495
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
has anyone other than me noticed that its impossible to remove the radiator cap ?? or am i missing something. someone prove me wrong ..
I haven't tried, but if it's anything similar to our BMW car, they are difficult.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #1496
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I haven't tried, but if it's anything similar to our BMW car, they are difficult.
i looked at it for about 5 minutes. there is no way to remove it. if there is i cant figure it out.
it bothers me.

((edit)))

.. ok so i went back down to the garage to fight with the radiator cap. i grabbed my flat sided file and removed some material from 2 of the nubs.
works like a normal radiator cap now.
i suggest all of you guys do it. . well , you probably will when you try to get that bitch off there.

swamp screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 10:02 PM
Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #1497
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Take a looksie

http://www.batterymart.com/p-ut12cl-...m-battery.html

It is slightly, slightly bigger than the stock Yuasa YB12AL-A
5.3125"x3.1875"x6.3125"

It came up when I typed in G650GS in the search. There is another battery that comes up

http://www.batterymart.com/p-mb12u-m...-650cc-battery

It is just smaller than stock and 15amp. I'm no electrical guy so I don't know if this works. It is a 12volt

What do you think?

kdennan screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 05:49 AM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #1498
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

destroying a perfectly good bike

the shorai battery that i bought fit inside the battery compartment . it was snug but it fit. yes the shorai is slightly larger than the stock battery. . and weight a considerable amount less.

i'm tearing into mine. lots of help from gsbs and the dakar thread guys.
not sure if any of the Sertao guys have done this yet.

removing the ABS today..and doing electrical.. you may see a picture of a burning bike later , i hate electrical ,

and adding a toggle switch to replace the keyed ignition

im going to put yamaha forks and clamps on the 'Tao ..
i cant seem to figure out how to remove the keyed ignition for the Tao.
i tried: blow torch, drill press, hammer with screwdriver, knife point as pry-bar, cut-off /angle grinder, and finally dead-blow hammer (which i broke)

i think the ignition is cast into the top clamp. . bastards!

this is why im adding the toggle switch

Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #1499
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
im going with excel 21 front and 18 in the rear / superlaced from woodies wheel works. im also replacing the whole front end with the Yamaha 250 forks. .. or at least im going to attempt it. the forks are at house of horsepower now being revalved for the Sertao.

not sure about the handlebars yet. i would like to keep the heated grips but that will require drilling and tapping a new set of bars. . or possibly just running a single bolt straight through the bars. ill go buy some stuff tomorrow to see what i can come up with.

ill probably end up running a good set of Cycra pro-bends. i have them on all my woods bikes and they are pretty much indestructible. i trust the Cycras.

ive looked at the highway dirt bike stuff. . every time i go to their website i get confused and give up. it requires too much effort. they sell Cycra at the local shop. they come in a box with a price tag on them
Nice, love to see how the wheels are going to come out. If I had enough money I would also upgrade the wheels. What I'm looking into is a steering stabilizer, need to do more research on it though.

As for handlebars setup, yes if you get any thing different you will need to tap and drill to get the heated grips to work. I'm with you the heated grips are a treat. I was thinking about Renthal Street bars high or Pro Taper KX High Bars. My current bars were bent on fall, not really bad but bent enough to know that the OE bars are shitty. A replacement would cost around $140 bucks while the aftermarket stronger bars are $70 or less.

I think I can salvage the OE bars now by bending them back to place. I was thinking of having a friend weld a brace on it to give it a bit more strength. I need to save money as I'm planning a trip this summer on the moto. We'll see how it goes... Good luck on your upgrades, would like to know how it goes and pictures please
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #1500
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Eek

point of no return

the ABS conundrum ....
how do i get the ECU to understand that i have removed the ABS?
can i just throw away that big silver thing now?

i pulled all the ABS lines... making the rear brake work like a non ABS bike is going to be tricky. b/c the routing is all fucked up. i need a line that goes from here

to here

and it will probably look something like this... but im not sure.. .any body know ?