Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #1531
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Wow! Looks so freaking hardcore! Performance will be exceptional! Keep those pic's coming it's looking good and your doing a great job.

That looks like an incredible trip you took there, that was you right? It's rides like that which will last good memories forever.

cheers..
yea thats me on the XT. ill never forget that ride.

on another note. .. im digging in the guts now. . and hoping for the best.

i hate electrical. I mean REALLY hate electrical.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #1532
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
what kind of tires are you running on the TAT ?

if you get ballsy , try this route :
http://enduroearth.com/the-quest-for...h-eater-route/

GPS data here:
American Flesh Eater
http://enduroearth.com/dvds-and-gps-cds-for-sale/

.........getting close.
just need my wheels , pegs, skid plate, center stand, radiator guards, need to fix the ABS and then. put the subframe back on, install my Leo slip on and then put humpty dumpty back together again

.... you dig ?

This is all very impressive!
I have been watching and reading and almost wonder why you chose the Sertao in the first place? Not bagging on you, it just seems there might have been a better starter.
But I L O V E the work!
Aren't you able to turn off the ABS, or is it not completely off when switched off at the button?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #1533
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I have been watching and reading and almost wonder why you chose the Sertao in the first place? Not bagging on you, it just seems there might have been a better starter.

Aren't you able to turn off the ABS, or is it not completely off when switched off at the button?
I concur and wonder the same thing about starting with the Sertao rather than another more proven, less complicated, non ABS bike.

But whatever ... its not my $$$. Some folks just gotta beat on shit with hammers in order to be happy I suppose.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #1534
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Honestly, the way I see it and I've done major mods to my other rides. There are many motorcycle out there but you can never find one that is the right one and setup the way "You" ride. So every manufacture comes out w/ a motorcycle that is just enough to make the average customer happy.

They pretty much leave it to you or other manufactures like Touratech to come up w/ the ideas for you.

Hence:

They charge you more than what the bike cost you, but with a bit of inginuity and research you can do it all for probably $500-$1000 depending how far you like to go.

Swamp, is doing the HW for us all. Maybe at this point you dont see a need to change but maybe in a few years from now you'll look at it differently when you start pushing the bike for more off pavement. This all has been done before by the original Dakar models which is what the bike is a Dakar rebranded to Sertao with some minor changes.

He's chosen better parts than the OEM ones. Woody's wheels, lighter and stronger and has been proven on the Dakar race circuit. Front USD forks with adjustability up the wazoo, once you get it revalved to your riding style and weight. Pretty sure he's going to go w/ a Ohlins in the back sooner or later (or maybe he's already done that), again better than stock.

Personally, I dont like the ABS. Never ridden with it on any of my bike and dont think its all that good. I tend to ride to where I need to turn it off more than leave it on. But that's just my opinion and everyone rides differently

I'm currently looking for a front end on ebay including an upgrade to the wheels as well. I'll wait til next winter to get going on that and $$.

Hope that helps, just me thinking out loud.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #1535
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Honestly,

Swamp, is doing the HW for us all. Maybe at this point you dont see a need to change but maybe in a few years from now you'll look at it differently when you start pushing the bike for more off pavement. This all has been done before by the original Dakar models which is what the bike is a Dakar rebranded to Sertao with some minor changes.

Its his bike, if he wants to piss in the gas tank and take a dump under the seat before he rides every day that's his prerogative.

I too have modded bikes before.

I'm not trying to put a damper on his efforts, nor am I trying to be drag on the excitement of it all. I hope he gets out of it whatever it is he is seeking.

Still, doesn't stop me from shaking my head in wonder at his descriptions of dead blow hammer techniques and hacking into ABS circuits. I've done the same head shaking in about a dozen other threads on this forum from other folks.

I wish him good luck, and hope he is taking copious notes and pictures for folks that want to travel that same road.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #1536
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Honestly, the way I see it and I've done major mods to my other rides. There are many motorcycle out there but you can never find one that is the right one and setup the way "You" ride. So every manufacture comes out w/ a motorcycle that is just enough to make the average customer happy.

They pretty much leave it to you or other manufactures like Touratech to come up w/ the ideas for you.

Hence:

They charge you more than what the bike cost you, but with a bit of inginuity and research you can do it all for probably $500-$1000 depending how far you like to go.

He's chosen better parts than the OEM ones. Woody's wheels, lighter and stronger and has been proven on the Dakar race circuit. Front USD forks with adjustability up the wazoo, once you get it revalved to your riding style and weight. Pretty sure he's going to go w/ a Ohlins in the back sooner or later (or maybe he's already done that), again better than stock.

Personally, I dont like the ABS. Never ridden with it on any of my bike and dont think its all that good. I tend to ride to where I need to turn it off more than leave it on. But that's just my opinion and everyone rides differently

I'm currently looking for a front end on ebay including an upgrade to the wheels as well. I'll wait til next winter to get going on that and $$.

I don't think anyone was questioning swamp's decision to perform extensive mods on his bike. They were merely sharing their surprise that he decided to start with the foundation for the mods he did. It is a lot of extra work when you consider all the non-ABS 650cc alternatives out there, but I'll be the first to admit that I want what I want and will always find a way to modify it to suit my needs. I'm super thankful for swamp's hard work and documentation. Hopefully next winter I'll be following in his footsteps. Well, other than the ABS... That looks like a pain in the ass.

PS I'll post a pic of my TT skid plate as soon as the weather here is nice enough to warrant getting the bike out of the garage...
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #1537
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

hammers, torches and drimmel tools

yea, i tend to enjoy destroying and modifying my bikes.
as you say "some people just enjoy beating on things with hammers"
personally. i think it helps me get "in touch" with the bike. i like knowing what size tools i need, where all the bolts are, and how everything is routed and where everything is located and where the weak links are.

you are right. i could have just bought a DR650 and been done with it and there have been a few moments where i wished that i had done just that.

but when i finish, this bike will be "my bike". hate to use this analogy but its kind of the "chopper" mindset.

i did this same thing to my XT225 that i rode across america, for a month, in the dirt on (Not the TAT):

the rear shock on that bike is worth more than what i initially payed for the whole bike

actually now that i think about it ive hammered on every bike that i've ever owned. they never come set up the way that i like them.

yes destroying a perfectly good bike is a waste of money. i understand, but fuck it. it sure is fun.

oh. sorry for the rant.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #1538
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
I totally get that. You're going to have one hell of a bike when all is said and done. As far as the "wasting money" business is concerned, I didn't buy a dual sport for its resale value. If my bike is worth anything when I'm done with it, I have failed.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #1539
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
I don't think anyone was questioning swamp's decision to perform extensive mods on his bike.
Hopefully no one took my explaination wrong. I was just trying to point out how I believe what Swamps intentions are for modding his bike and that I applaud him for his balls. Mine will look closely to his soon

Now back to the program
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1540
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Nice Swamp! Once you go lighten and go USD on the Sertao you'll love it. Makes it a completely different machine, what is should have been. Have fun with it and yes, shitcan the ABS!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #1541
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

the cluster

ok.. so back to destroying the 'Tao

on the older versions of the bike they say to remove the ABS bulb from the instrument cluster so that it doesnt always blink. so, i remove the cluster, remove all the tiny screw. wont open. so i then take a screw driver and try to pry the bitch open. no. i continue to try to pry the bitch open all the way around. resulting in one marred up piece of plastic and a level 1 on the Swamp Agro Meter

i talked to the tech at my local BMW shop today and he tells me " there are no bulbs on the new bikes... they are LEDs". Ah yes, foiled again by technology. impossible to remove LED from circuit board.

so, my plan is to fill in the hole where the ABS indicator is. pretty sure im just going to put a glob of JB Weld there. out of sight out of mind

anyways, just so you know. dont try to pry open the god damn thing with a screw driver because you wont win.

CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO THE LOCATION OF A .PDF SHOP MANUAL ?? ... like a FREE one ;)

swamp screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #1542
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO THE LOCATION OF A .PDF SHOP MANUAL ?? ... like a FREE one ;)

PM your email address I got you covered, but I'm at work so it will be later tonight.
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #1543
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hey Swamp - nice work !

I would have thought the motor would best be installed in a YZ frame - dont you think the frame is where most of the dead weight is at? Have you though about extending the swingarm by 3" for stability.

Keep up the make-over - enjoying it a lot.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #1544
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozi View Post
Hey Swamp - nice work !

I would have thought the motor would best be installed in a YZ frame - dont you think the frame is where most of the dead weight is at? Have you though about extending the swingarm by 3" for stability.

Keep up the make-over - enjoying it a lot.

ha! laugh my ass off . you fucking cunt. piss off!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #1545
Ozi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
@swamp - also .... You could bore out the motor to 750cc while you have it off the road; and open the gearbox and change the first gear ratio down and the sixth gear ratio up too....