ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #1561
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,661
I use standard oil .Rotella15 40. About to try the valvoline moto oil from autozone. I think its 20 50. I run amsoil synth in my husqvarna te250 . I'm sticking with dino in the Tao.
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE
Spot Tracker
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1562
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZBone's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: CO (temporarily relocated to WV)
Oddometer: 214
Well, still no good weather here but I had some extra time today so I snapped a few pics of the TT skid plate.





I like the increased coverage and strength, as well as the relocated mounts on the bottom. The stock mounts are so bent from catching rocks that I wasn't sure how I was going to install the new plate. It also looks exponentially better than the turtle shell.

I sat on the new seat for a while as well and although I don't notice much difference in height, if any, my cheeks definitely feel much more at home. I never realized how uncomfortable the stock seat was until I sat on the new one.

Now to fix the tail light bracket that failed, order the new exhaust and K60 rear, and blast the stickers off at the car wash. Thinking about finding a large waterproof duffel bag for the rear and I should be set for the summer. Spring can't get here soon enough.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1563
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
africa twin,
both impressive and interesting.

so what you are saying is: " after the dealer fixes the decompression lever issue the valve spec changes." ?

did you have your dealer fix the hot start issue on your 'Tao ?

-i brought mine in and they fixed it-
Yes I took mine in for a emission control sticker recall of all things and asked them to do the hot start update while it was in there. They said if they could verify the problem they'd perform the update. I said its easy to reproduce, get it hot and try to start it. They took care of it and now it starts perfectly. I had actually found a work around to the hot start issue but it was still a PITA. I was planning to perform the update myself at the next valve adjustment but then this recall for the sticker came up.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #1564
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,661
looking good zBone.
-what kind of seat is that ?


quick question for you guys without the center stand.
how are you doing trail side tube changes ?

i have smaller bikes (250s, 400s etc) where the procedure is to just find a large rock or a tree to heft the bike onto to raise the rear wheel off the ground just like putting the bike on a bike stand.

the sertao is too damn heavy for me to pick up off the ground and put it on a rock.. and i'm pretty sure if i were to try to use the kickstand as a pivot i.e. put kick stand down and pull the bike towards the kickstand in order to raise the rear tire... that the kickstand mount would break.

... so , what's your technique for raising the rear tire off the ground without a centerstand ??
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE
Spot Tracker
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1565
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Well, still no good weather here but I had some extra time today so I snapped a few pics of the TT skid plate.





I like the increased coverage and strength, as well as the relocated mounts on the bottom. The stock mounts are so bent from catching rocks that I wasn't sure how I was going to install the new plate. It also looks exponentially better than the turtle shell.

I sat on the new seat for a while as well and although I don't notice much difference in height, if any, my cheeks definitely feel much more at home. I never realized how uncomfortable the stock seat was until I sat on the new one.

Now to fix the tail light bracket that failed, order the new exhaust and K60 rear, and blast the stickers off at the car wash. Thinking about finding a large waterproof duffel bag for the rear and I should be set for the summer. Spring can't get here soon enough.
Good report!
I have the Dakar high seat coming and can't wait.
I just got the Wolfman Expedition small dry duffle (yellow) and it seems like a perfect fit along with my Expediton dry saddle bags and Explorer lite tank bag.
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1566
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZBone's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: CO (temporarily relocated to WV)
Oddometer: 214
It's the BMW Tall Seat.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...32345735-p-502

Again, I notice hardly any difference in actual seat height and it's still comfortable for me to get one whole foot or a bit of both feet down. (I'm 5'11'' with ~32" inseam)

As far as the trail side tube changes go, the short of it is that I've been fortunate and haven't had to perform one yet and will be adding a center stand some time in the near future.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1567
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
It's the BMW Tall Seat.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...32345735-p-502

Again, I notice hardly any difference in actual seat height and it's still comfortable for me to get one whole foot or a bit of both feet down. (I'm 5'11'' with ~32" inseam)

As far as the trail side tube changes go, the short of it is that I've been fortunate and haven't had to perform one yet and will be adding a center stand some time in the near future.
Cool,
I'm pretty sure that Max has that saddle coming for me.
Thanks
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #1568
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Wow, you beat me to it..

Kdennan, funny which Max BMW dealer you go to? I go to the one in CT, great group of people. I'm having them address the decomp on Friday, I'll be waiting while they make the change. Probably go out and test some bikes while they work on stuff
The one in Troy, NY. The guys are great. I had the decomp issue surface early on and they got the service bulletin and fixed it in no time.
They all told me that they feel I got the best bike they make for what I want out of it. They all have big bikes because it's cool and all but they still have their trusty 650's for most everyday.
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1569
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
looking good zBone.
-what kind of seat is that ?


quick question for you guys without the center stand.
how are you doing trail side tube changes ?

?
Swamp,



You can buy it here , I've heard only but great things about it. There's a guy going around the world on a KTM 690 and he swears by it! That's enough for me. But I opted for the center stand as I do most of my fixing in a small space with no room for lift.

You can read about it here
__________________
12' BMW Sertao For everything
01' Triumph Bonneville Holligan Bike
94' Suzuki DR250 strickly woods
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1570
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
The one in Troy, NY. The guys are great. I had the decomp issue surface early on and they got the service bulletin and fixed it in no time.
They all told me that they feel I got the best bike they make for what I want out of it. They all have big bikes because it's cool and all but they still have their trusty 650's for most everyday.
Kool. You should defenitly try to do the Berkshire Big Bike ride it's alot of fun. It's a two day event this time, camping and riding you can ask for more. It'll be fun to have another Sert around I was the only one last year.
__________________
12' BMW Sertao For everything
01' Triumph Bonneville Holligan Bike
94' Suzuki DR250 strickly woods
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1571
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank
 
swamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: lower appalachia, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Swamp,



You can buy it here , I've heard only but great things about it. There's a guy going around the world on a KTM 690 and he swears by it! That's enough for me. But I opted for the center stand as I do most of my fixing in a small space with no room for lift.

You can read about it here
yea i've looked at that thing and i've seen pictures of people on ADV using it but im still not convinced. it just looks so unstable to me. I would love to try one out.

i just dont think it would work well with the angle of the Sertao's side stand... being all funkatated and all. .. anyone have one that could post a photo of it in action?
__________________
Enduro Earth
YOUTUBE
Spot Tracker
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #1572
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Kool. You should defenitly try to do the Berkshire Big Bike ride it's alot of fun. It's a two day event this time, camping and riding you can ask for more. It'll be fun to have another Sert around I was the only one last year.

Sounds great. I just have to ask for leave from the colonel
I'm pretty psyched she's into me doing the WHACO Jamaica ride. It's going to be a blast!
If it looks good I'll PM you and see if we can meet up.
Thanks
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #1573
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Kool. You should defenitly try to do the Berkshire Big Bike ride it's alot of fun. It's a two day event this time, camping and riding you can ask for more. It'll be fun to have another Sert around I was the only one last year.

Doh!
Same weekend as the WHACO
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #1574
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
homme de fer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: GTA, Canada
Oddometer: 176
Part 1 of farkling complete. SW Motech centre stand, Jesse Luggage, and painted skid plate. Not shown, Giant loop Diablo tank bag, 45L tail bag. Still to come: Barkbusters, TKc80 front, Heidi K60 rear, perhaps a pipe.

homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #1575
Mr. GREEN
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: JURA / FRANCE
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
order the new exhaust
warning for new exhaust !


"The wolfman rack does not adapt with a silencer remus.
See the photo"




Uploaded with ImageShack.us


here it's just possible (3/5 mm)



Uploaded with ImageShack.us


but not here ! I have cut



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr. GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014