Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #1561
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,661
I use standard oil .Rotella15 40. About to try the valvoline moto oil from autozone. I think its 20 50. I run amsoil synth in my husqvarna te250 . I'm sticking with dino in the Tao.
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1562
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Well, still no good weather here but I had some extra time today so I snapped a few pics of the TT skid plate.

I like the increased coverage and strength, as well as the relocated mounts on the bottom. The stock mounts are so bent from catching rocks that I wasn't sure how I was going to install the new plate. It also looks exponentially better than the turtle shell.

I sat on the new seat for a while as well and although I don't notice much difference in height, if any, my cheeks definitely feel much more at home. I never realized how uncomfortable the stock seat was until I sat on the new one.

Now to fix the tail light bracket that failed, order the new exhaust and K60 rear, and blast the stickers off at the car wash. Thinking about finding a large waterproof duffel bag for the rear and I should be set for the summer. Spring can't get here soon enough.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #1563
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
africa twin,
both impressive and interesting.

so what you are saying is: " after the dealer fixes the decompression lever issue the valve spec changes." ?

did you have your dealer fix the hot start issue on your 'Tao ?

-i brought mine in and they fixed it-
Yes I took mine in for a emission control sticker recall of all things and asked them to do the hot start update while it was in there. They said if they could verify the problem they'd perform the update. I said its easy to reproduce, get it hot and try to start it. They took care of it and now it starts perfectly. I had actually found a work around to the hot start issue but it was still a PITA. I was planning to perform the update myself at the next valve adjustment but then this recall for the sticker came up.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #1564
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

looking good zBone.
-what kind of seat is that ?

quick question for you guys without the center stand.
how are you doing trail side tube changes ?

i have smaller bikes (250s, 400s etc) where the procedure is to just find a large rock or a tree to heft the bike onto to raise the rear wheel off the ground just like putting the bike on a bike stand.

the sertao is too damn heavy for me to pick up off the ground and put it on a rock.. and i'm pretty sure if i were to try to use the kickstand as a pivot i.e. put kick stand down and pull the bike towards the kickstand in order to raise the rear tire... that the kickstand mount would break.

... so , what's your technique for raising the rear tire off the ground without a centerstand ??
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1565
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Well, still no good weather here but I had some extra time today so I snapped a few pics of the TT skid plate.

I like the increased coverage and strength, as well as the relocated mounts on the bottom. The stock mounts are so bent from catching rocks that I wasn't sure how I was going to install the new plate. It also looks exponentially better than the turtle shell.

I sat on the new seat for a while as well and although I don't notice much difference in height, if any, my cheeks definitely feel much more at home. I never realized how uncomfortable the stock seat was until I sat on the new one.

Now to fix the tail light bracket that failed, order the new exhaust and K60 rear, and blast the stickers off at the car wash. Thinking about finding a large waterproof duffel bag for the rear and I should be set for the summer. Spring can't get here soon enough.
Good report!
I have the Dakar high seat coming and can't wait.
I just got the Wolfman Expedition small dry duffle (yellow) and it seems like a perfect fit along with my Expediton dry saddle bags and Explorer lite tank bag.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1566
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
It's the BMW Tall Seat.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...32345735-p-502

Again, I notice hardly any difference in actual seat height and it's still comfortable for me to get one whole foot or a bit of both feet down. (I'm 5'11'' with ~32" inseam)

As far as the trail side tube changes go, the short of it is that I've been fortunate and haven't had to perform one yet and will be adding a center stand some time in the near future.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1567
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It's the BMW Tall Seat.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...32345735-p-502

Again, I notice hardly any difference in actual seat height and it's still comfortable for me to get one whole foot or a bit of both feet down. (I'm 5'11'' with ~32" inseam)

As far as the trail side tube changes go, the short of it is that I've been fortunate and haven't had to perform one yet and will be adding a center stand some time in the near future.
Cool,
I'm pretty sure that Max has that saddle coming for me.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #1568
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Wow, you beat me to it..

Kdennan, funny which Max BMW dealer you go to? I go to the one in CT, great group of people. I'm having them address the decomp on Friday, I'll be waiting while they make the change. Probably go out and test some bikes while they work on stuff
The one in Troy, NY. The guys are great. I had the decomp issue surface early on and they got the service bulletin and fixed it in no time.
They all told me that they feel I got the best bike they make for what I want out of it. They all have big bikes because it's cool and all but they still have their trusty 650's for most everyday.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #1569
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
looking good zBone.
-what kind of seat is that ?

quick question for you guys without the center stand.
how are you doing trail side tube changes ?

?
Swamp,

You can buy it here , I've heard only but great things about it. There's a guy going around the world on a KTM 690 and he swears by it! That's enough for me. But I opted for the center stand as I do most of my fixing in a small space with no room for lift.

You can read about it here
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1570
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
The one in Troy, NY. The guys are great. I had the decomp issue surface early on and they got the service bulletin and fixed it in no time.
They all told me that they feel I got the best bike they make for what I want out of it. They all have big bikes because it's cool and all but they still have their trusty 650's for most everyday.
Kool. You should defenitly try to do the Berkshire Big Bike ride it's alot of fun. It's a two day event this time, camping and riding you can ask for more. It'll be fun to have another Sert around I was the only one last year.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1571
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Swamp,

You can buy it here , I've heard only but great things about it. There's a guy going around the world on a KTM 690 and he swears by it! That's enough for me. But I opted for the center stand as I do most of my fixing in a small space with no room for lift.

You can read about it here
yea i've looked at that thing and i've seen pictures of people on ADV using it but im still not convinced. it just looks so unstable to me. I would love to try one out.

i just dont think it would work well with the angle of the Sertao's side stand... being all funkatated and all. .. anyone have one that could post a photo of it in action?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #1572
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Kool. You should defenitly try to do the Berkshire Big Bike ride it's alot of fun. It's a two day event this time, camping and riding you can ask for more. It'll be fun to have another Sert around I was the only one last year.

Sounds great. I just have to ask for leave from the colonel
I'm pretty psyched she's into me doing the WHACO Jamaica ride. It's going to be a blast!
If it looks good I'll PM you and see if we can meet up.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #1573
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Doh!
Same weekend as the WHACO
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #1574
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Part 1 of farkling complete. SW Motech centre stand, Jesse Luggage, and painted skid plate. Not shown, Giant loop Diablo tank bag, 45L tail bag. Still to come: Barkbusters, TKc80 front, Heidi K60 rear, perhaps a pipe.

homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #1575
Mr. GREEN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
order the new exhaust
warning for new exhaust !

"The wolfman rack does not adapt with a silencer remus.
See the photo"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here it's just possible (3/5 mm)

but not here ! I have cut

Mr. GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote