User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #1576
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
New Sertao owner

Hey - just stumbled across this thread and working my way through it backward.

I am new to biking, and bought a 2012 Sertao 10 days ago! Have some big plans, so on a (hopefully) accelerated path. I have a lot of time off coming up, so am planning the northern part of the TET from NY and then the TAT to the Overland Expo in AZ, and then...who knows.

Oh yeah, I broke the front fender off in deep sand the other day. $160 to replace the bracket! I don't like the fender, and if I break it again will replace it with a bendy offroad one.

Here's what I've done, and plan to do to the bike to get it ready:
-- TT Bash plate - found the brake lever rubs against it slightly. Anyone else have this issue?
-- TT Fairing Crash bars
-- TT Headlight protection guard
-- TT Adjustable windscreen
-- TT GPS Mount with TT Garmin lockable mount and the Rugged mount. Insanely expensive combo, but I want to leave the GPS on the bike and for it to be (relatively) secure. Love the placement of the mount, right at the top of the windshield.
-- Ram aqua box on the handlebars for my iPhone, on which I usually am logging my track.
-- Wolfman Large Expedition Tank Bag

Arriving soon:
-- Wolfman Rocky Mountain Panniers - Didn't like that they increase the width of the bike by 3", but liked the storage amount, the price, the waterproof inner bags and much more.
-- Wolfman Large Expedition Duffle - I feel like a walking ad for Wolfman (and TT!), but I really like their stuff. Total storage is a whopping 130 liters. That's a lot, but I intend on using it on the long distance solo stuff.
- Proper dual sport tires
- the battery is crap, I took it back to the dealer already. They "deep charged" it, which will fix nothing. I'll probably buy another.

Brand new with 5 miles on the clock:

In some deep sand in the Pine Barrens, NJ:

With current farkles:

- Does anyone else have the TT bash plate issue (brake lever rubbing)?
- After fitting the light guard, the headlight angle changed, so I need to recalibrate it - any useful rules of thumb for this?

What else do people commonly do on the Sertao?

The expedition
About the bike

nylon2000 screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 10:37 PM
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #1577
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Welcome..

Seems like we're in the same city, so I'll probably see you around. Pretty much decent farkles on it, the list is limitless

I see you found the sand, you should try to make it to the PB300 in Nov(I think)? I'm doing the PB class in April, need to burn off the rusty skills. Look in the NE section for up coming events. A must do is the Berkshires Big Bike event alot of fun and it's now a two day event. The TET, there some good info on the Route forums with GPS routes. As for the TAT, I'm running it in July solo... Let you know how it goes.

Front fender: There is some info to the part being defective (not made properly). If mine breaks I will go big beak Acerbris like.

Battery: Its shitty! Get a nice sealed one for about $65 bucks you wont have to worry about the levels maintance on the OEM one.

Bash Plate: Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. You must be off when putting it on, check your alignment on the bash plate.

Seeya around, ride safe...
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #1578
nylon2000
Wanderer

Yup - NYC. I'm going to the PB training in April as well. See you there, if not before.

Where in the city do you live? I'm basically midtown - pita to get my bike in and out really.

The expedition
About the bike
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #1579
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
Part 1 of farkling complete. SW Motech centre stand, Jesse Luggage, and painted skid plate. Not shown, Giant loop Diablo tank bag, 45L tail bag. Still to come: Barkbusters, TKc80 front, Heidi K60 rear, perhaps a pipe.

What crashbars are those?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #1580
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GREEN View Post
warning for new exhaust !

"The wolfman rack does not adapt with a silencer remus.
See the photo"

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here it's just possible (3/5 mm)

but not here ! I have cut

Shiiiit. I hope I don't have a problem with my Leo Vince can
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #1581
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Shiiiit. I hope I don't have a problem with my Leo Vince can
Ah, now I see what you're talking about Mr. Green. I can't imagine any major problem in terms of function. A fall at just the right angle/location is going to have a better chance at bending the rack but that's about it.

I've thought about getting the TT pannier rack and having someone tack on mounts for my Wolfman bags that way I have the option of running hard or soft luggage. This might be a good time to look in to that further.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #1582
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
What crashbars are those?
I believe those are SW Motech bars. I want to believe that there is another matching set that sits lower to protect the cases but I have yet to find it.

Those bars are solid steel and could probably take a good kicking.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #1583
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
Ah, now I see what you're talking about Mr. Green. I can't imagine any major problem in terms of function. A fall at just the right angle/location is going to have a better chance at bending the rack but that's about it.

I've thought about getting the TT pannier rack and having someone tack on mounts for my Wolfman bags that way I have the option of running hard or soft luggage. This might be a good time to look in to that further.

Ok!
Had my man Tim at Max run out and measure the stock can.
Just about 4.5" high
13" long
I then measured the new Leo Vince
5" high
20" long

Tim said there's at least an 1.5" clearance between the bottom of the stocker and the Wolfman side rack brace so I'm good to go!
Now those of you considering going this route (why the hell wouldn't you?) can buy with confidence. I got my pipe from RevZilla from Drew. Nice guy. $320 USD
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #1584
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
-- TT Bash plate - found the brake lever rubs against it slightly. Anyone else have this issue?
I just got home and took a peek at my bash plate/rear brake lever. My lever is at least 2 inches away from touching my bash plate. I can't concieve how one would mount the plate in a way that would get it close enough to rub?
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #1585
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,765
the last pieces arrive tomorrow.
picked up my 606s today.
bike should be together by sunday evening ... unless i get to drunk and stoned to finish it ("where did i put that!? it was just in my hand 5 seconds ago! ... jeez") maybe i can remember where all those bolts go.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #1586
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
the last pieces arrive tomorrow.
picked up my 606s today.
bike should be together by sunday evening ... unless i get to drunk and stoned to finish it ("where did i put that!? it was just in my hand 5 seconds ago! ... jeez") maybe i can remember where all those bolts go.

funny, It's my weekend already so I beat you to the drinking and stone part Tomorrow I go to get the decomp addressed, then I go exploring some roads. Swamp dont be greedy on the update, I want to see pictures or your not doing anything!

Btw, $320 for leoVince that's pretty freaking cheap. How does it sound on the Sert, anyone?
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1587
nylon2000
Wanderer

ZBone - thanks for checking. I'm wondering if my brake lever came bent. There's not enough wiggle room on the plate to create 2" of spare for me. I have been feeling like I had to twist my ankle in to reach it.

Swamp - 606s? These are for the pine barrens and the TAT? I was going to get either the KTCs or Kendas for the sand. I thought 606s were more for mud.

NY-Lon

The expedition
About the bike
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1588
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

NY-Lon

Nice, it's going to be fun at the PB class looking forward to it.. As of now I'm still riding with my Scout k60, they've done well but I'm pushing it as I actually got 7000 miles out of them. I have a pair of Kenda big block sitting waiting to be put on but I'm pacing myself. I'll probably have fresh rubber on for the April class.

Swamp is traveling far and good hardcore rubber is what he needs... I'll let him chime in..
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #1589
nylon2000
Wanderer

Whoops. Spaced on the usernames and mixed you guys up.

Alskee - For the big blocks- they are tubess, right? You just run them with tubes inside? Just makes them harder to change I guess.

Swamp - do they even make a 606 rear that fits. I know they do a 90/90 for the front, but I didn't think they made a rear that worked. Unless you've changed the wheels I guess...

The expedition
About the bike
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #1590
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

nylon

Yes, there tubes. Swamp got new rims and increased his rear to an 18". Something I'll tackle next winter when there is more $$.

oh, I'm uptown way uptown. Washington Heights.. PM me if u want to hit some PB routes I have some tracks we can make a day of it...
Soto Moto Adventures