ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #1606
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer
 
Desertbilly's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Oddometer: 1,068
Finally

Finally showed up and in my driveway.


Got a skidplate, Dakar seat, guards, TKC80s, Jesse bags and Leo Vince can at the dealer; centerstand on the way. Have ordered a few more Touratech guards. Starting to look for wide pegs, tank & tail bags (probably Wolfman) and maybe better handguards. Will get to try it out this weekend.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #1607
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly View Post
Finally showed up and in my driveway.


Got a skidplate, Dakar seat, guards, TKC80s, Jesse bags and Leo Vince can at the dealer; centerstand on the way. Have ordered a few more Touratech guards. Starting to look for wide pegs, tank & tail bags (probably Wolfman) and maybe better handguards. Will get to try it out this weekend.
+1 on Wolfman
I have the side racks, Expedition saddle bags, Small dry duffle and Explorer lite tank bag.
How's that Leo Vince sound? I have mine at home and my bike is at the dealer right now getting tires. Heidenau K60's. My TKC's only lasted a little of 4k but I rode them for 5k
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #1608
nylon2000
Wanderer
 
nylon2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 253
Decompression issue?

Battery ordered, thanks.

Last night I wired up the GPS and the Gorilla alarm, put the TT luggage rack on the back and bent the brake lever out so it doesn't scrape the bash plate any more.

Not a great picture, but you can see the before picture - look how close the lever was:



The "decompression issue" - is that what I've been referring to as "vapour lock"? Start the engine, ride for a few minutes, switch it off, and it doesnt restart until i leave it for 30 minutes to cool down.

Is that the same thing? How do i fix that?
__________________
WineAndWater. West around the world, New York to London, then Africa. Raising money for Wine to Water, supporting clean water projects in 15 countries.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #1609
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Battery ordered, thanks.

The "decompression issue" - is that what I've been referring to as "vapour lock"? Start the engine, ride for a few minutes, switch it off, and it doesnt restart until i leave it for 30 minutes to cool down.

Is that the same thing? How do i fix that?
Yes, that is the decomp issue. Take it into your dealer. That is the only way to resolve the issue.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #1610
alskee750
Studly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I want a full ride report of that scooter!

The 800 sure looks good on the showroom floor and carving slab corners, but I'll take the Rotax 650 anyday. Bullet proof and perfect power for tight back roads and real woods
Seriously fun little scooter for around town. Very comfy seating, you can go forever on that thing.

F800 is an animal! It's acceleration and handling was right on. I could get in trouble on that thing. Just the thought about bringing that to the woods, nah.

Nylon. Get your bike to the dealer have them replace it for you. It's under warranty
__________________
12' BMW Sertao For everything
01' Triumph Bonneville Holligan Bike
94' Suzuki DR250 strickly woods
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #1611
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai UAE / Ottawa CA
Oddometer: 268
Very Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertbilly View Post
Finally showed up and in my driveway.


Got a skidplate, Dakar seat, guards, TKC80s, Jesse bags and Leo Vince can at the dealer; centerstand on the way. Have ordered a few more Touratech guards. Starting to look for wide pegs, tank & tail bags (probably Wolfman) and maybe better handguards. Will get to try it out this weekend.
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #1612
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai UAE / Ottawa CA
Oddometer: 268
G650 with 21 Inch

Not a Sertao... but... Got my G650GS kitted with a new set of Excel rims. I also did the 21 inch conversion on the standard G650 for the front. Worked out great!

__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1613
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZBone's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: CO/WV/MI/OK
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Battery ordered, thanks.

Last night I wired up the GPS and the Gorilla alarm, put the TT luggage rack on the back and bent the brake lever out so it doesn't scrape the bash plate any more.

Not a great picture, but you can see the before picture - look how close the lever was:



The "decompression issue" - is that what I've been referring to as "vapour lock"? Start the engine, ride for a few minutes, switch it off, and it doesnt restart until i leave it for 30 minutes to cool down.

Is that the same thing? How do i fix that?
Wow. That lever was seriously bent. The front of the brake lever should be parallel to the footpeg, or at least I'd imagine so. That's how it is on my bike.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #1614
alskee750
Studly Adventurer
 
alskee750's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Not a Sertao... but... Got my G650GS kitted with a new set of Excel rims. I also did the 21 inch conversion on the standard G650 for the front. Worked out great!

Interesting, did you go 18" rear? What front suspension? 21 Dakar/Sertao?
__________________
12' BMW Sertao For everything
01' Triumph Bonneville Holligan Bike
94' Suzuki DR250 strickly woods
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #1615
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Interesting, did you go 18" rear? What front suspension? 21 Dakar/Sertao?

Wow! That bike is worthy of posting here if you guys don't mind me saying. Not too much though
Very nice looking bike. Congratulations
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #1616
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai UAE / Ottawa CA
Oddometer: 268
Thanks!

No I stayed with the 17 stock like the Sertao with a 17/21 combo. It was simpler.

The suspension is stock from the regular G650 and does not have the extended travel of the Sertao G650... For now!
Adding the 21 on the front didn't require different forks.

Next project on the list would be the fork conversion... or maybe just put in some progressive springs until than.

So far other than the Excels, there are a few Touratech bits here and there and a new exhaust is going in this week. Also added the "high" bmw OE seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Interesting, did you go 18" rear? What front suspension? 21 Dakar/Sertao?
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #1617
kdennan
Studly Adventurer
 
kdennan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Vermont, USA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Thanks!

No I stayed with the 17 stock like the Sertao with a 17/21 combo. It was simpler.

The suspension is stock from the regular G650 and does not have the extended travel of the Sertao G650... For now!
Adding the 21 on the front didn't require different forks.

Next project on the list would be the fork conversion... or maybe just put in some progressive springs until than.

So far other than the Excels, there are a few Touratech bits here and there and a new exhaust is going in this week. Also added the "high" bmw OE seat.

I might stir up a wasp nest here, but I have to clarify that it's all different strokes for different folks. I like my Sertao for what it is, a dependable, proven engine and chassis that is capable of touring around the world on the cheap. Stock the bike is so much more capable off road than any big bike, but it is not a dual-sport/rallye bike. It can be made in to a rallye bike and it was great at it. If you want that bike I think I'd just get a KTM 690 and put a rally-raid kit on it. If I wanted to kill it on jeep trails and moderate single track I'd run a 690 stock. For me, I'm happy with progressive fork springs. They drastically improve the bike. I am going with an Ohlins shock because my dealer promised it will do the same as the fork springs for even my intended purpose; to ride dirt roads, back roads and some jeep trails when the road disapears.
Things like the Dakar high seat, better foot pegs, bar risers (if you're over 5'10") make a huge difference in the handling and fit. I am content with the bike as it is. You're bike looks awesome and you'll probably find that the fork springs are going to make you very happy.
But I don't know you or anyone here for that matter and certainly don't want to put words in anyones mouth.
Dah, forget it. Just a rant. I just love my bike.

And for the record, I think what swamp is doing is flat amazing! What a cool cat. Just goes to show it can be done, if you're so inclined:)
__________________
"F#%* you I won't do what you tell me!"
Rage Against The Machine
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #1618
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SwollenCranium's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
Yup, recent review on that site is by me.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #1619
nylon2000
Wanderer
 
nylon2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 253
I had to laugh at the battery reviews on that site - virtually everyone has a Dakar / Sertao and was complaining at the stock battery.

"shame on BMW" - i lol'd at that one
__________________
WineAndWater. West around the world, New York to London, then Africa. Raising money for Wine to Water, supporting clean water projects in 15 countries.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #1620
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Adventure MotoX's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai UAE / Ottawa CA
Oddometer: 268
kdennan,
Yeah that's cool. For me its a hobby to work on the bike. I don't really want to do the forks and like you said... might as well get a 690 at that point. True, but I ride a lot of street too and I like the BMW over dual sport bikes because they are actually somewhat comfortable by comparison.

I am leaning more towards just getting the new progressive springs for the front as well. It's "ok" stock but much improved with the new springs. I don't need more at the moment. I am also very happy with the bike and know the 650 very well and feel comfortable with it.

What kind did of springs did you put in?



Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I might stir up a wasp nest here, but I have to clarify that it's all different strokes for different folks. I like my Sertao for what it is, a dependable, proven engine and chassis that is capable of touring around the world on the cheap. Stock the bike is so much more capable off road than any big bike, but it is not a dual-sport/rallye bike. It can be made in to a rallye bike and it was great at it. If you want that bike I think I'd just get a KTM 690 and put a rally-raid kit on it. If I wanted to kill it on jeep trails and moderate single track I'd run a 690 stock. For me, I'm happy with progressive fork springs. They drastically improve the bike. I am going with an Ohlins shock because my dealer promised it will do the same as the fork springs for even my intended purpose; to ride dirt roads, back roads and some jeep trails when the road disapears.
Things like the Dakar high seat, better foot pegs, bar risers (if you're over 5'10") make a huge difference in the handling and fit. I am content with the bike as it is. You're bike looks awesome and you'll probably find that the fork springs are going to make you very happy.
But I don't know you or anyone here for that matter and certainly don't want to put words in anyones mouth.
Dah, forget it. Just a rant. I just love my bike.

And for the record, I think what swamp is doing is flat amazing! What a cool cat. Just goes to show it can be done, if you're so inclined:)
__________________
Motorrad

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014