Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #151
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Is there any way to see if the water pump area has been redesigned in the G650 or Sertao? I havent heard any issues, but its pretty early in their lifecycle.
As mentioned by Cal, the only change "we" (the riders) have noticed is a major improvement to the oil line issue, which used to need a home-made retrofit.

My guess is that since these bikes share the same parts to such a crazy extent that they have not changed anything with the pump design.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #152
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
As mentioned by Cal, the only change "we" (the riders) have noticed is a major improvement to the oil line issue, which used to need a home-made retrofit.
What's the oil line issue?
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #153
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN View Post
I don't believe that one can get a non abs version
I have been told all bmw's starting in 2012 will have this as a standard component and not an option.

Am I wrong about this?
Probably not.

All motorcycles everywhere will get ABS in a few years, I believe that
it's 2017 for the EU, it will be a LAW, and a requirement to be able to import/
sell them on everything above 125cc.

Under 125cc linked brakes will be mandatory.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #154
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
The Sertao looks promising, a proven platform (with somewhat weedy suspension) but it seems like an excellent dirt road explorer with switchable ABS.

I would love to hear some impressions and see some close up pictures.

what do you think of the instruments? is the bar tach legible (if it isn't do you care)?
does anyone have the optional taller seat?
How are the headlights?

Seems like there are split opinions regarding the effectiveness of the old Dakar's ABS --but is the Sertao ABS system the same from the Dakar, or has is been upgraded?
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #155
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What's the oil line issue?
On the original f650gs and Dakar models, the oil return line was a tube of rigid metal which was routed in a way that prevented removal of the clutch cover without also removing the oil return line. This made a huge mess and a big task out of doing a water pump repair since it involved a bunch of non related work.

The riders of the original bikes developed many work arounds, ranging from a complete swap to a flexible return line using hydraulic parts, to cutting the original line and fitting a flexible section.

For the new g650 gs and sertao, BMW fixed this obvious flaw!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #156
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
what do you think of the instruments? is the bar tach legible (if it isn't do you care)?
does anyone have the optional taller seat?
How are the headlights?
Here's a partial answer and probably not entirely useful since I have the basic (non-Sertao) version, but yes the tach is legible (and I'm running the bike in so I'm looking at it all the time to stay below 5k rpm), and yes I have the taller seat.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #157
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
On the original f650gs and Dakar models, the oil return line was a tube of rigid metal which was routed in a way that prevented removal of the clutch cover without also removing the oil return line. This made a huge mess and a big task out of doing a water pump repair since it involved a bunch of non related work.

The riders of the original bikes developed many work arounds, ranging from a complete swap to a flexible return line using hydraulic parts, to cutting the original line and fitting a flexible section.

For the new g650 gs and sertao, BMW fixed this obvious flaw!
Thanks for the explanation, any idea if the Sertao parts that fix this can be used on the earlier GSs?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #158
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, any idea if the Sertao parts that fix this can be used on the earlier GSs?
Yes it would work but....in my opinion using the new BMW oil line would be a waste of money!! They show the price on the parts fiche as $130.00 for the new line
I fixed mine with a $1.56 piece of 1/2 inch 300psi push on hose and 2, 80 cent gear clamps.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #159
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
New Sertao owner...

Gents...

My two cents, I went in with the intention of getting the F650GS twin and came out with the Sertao. I do mostly city commuting in the weekdays to and from work. I ride during weekend on some dirt roads and I'm looking forward to enter the Sertao into more Big Bike friendly Dual Sport rides this season in the Northeast.

It was a hard choice at the beginning as I went from the F800, F650GS twin and the G650GS (the last Sertao was sold but I sat on it and the seat height was just perfect!). I probably took the 800 out for about 20 minutes and just loved every minute of it, but I thought to myself if this was a bike I wanted to take to the woods and let it fall from my minor inexperience. Same went for the F650GS, I loved the response and the quiet and smooth motor, but still questioned if I wanted to spend 12G's (tax/dealer fees) out the door to let it get messed up in the woods.

Lastly, I took the G650GS out a bit noisy but it's expected for a thumper. But wow what a fun ride! I took it out twice to make sure I wanted to commit to this one or the F650 twin. I was so surprised how it handled the corners on the twisties! I was hitting redline but I was pushing that bike to its limit to see what it had and the response was very respectable. It was light and cornered w/o any problems. I wasn't able to take the Sertao out but the height on the G650GS was just not for me since I come in at 6'1. I sat on the Sertao and the fit was just perfect! It had the standard seat height of 33.9, which was perfect.

I was in the market for a used Dakar as well, but just didn't like the old look. The new Dakar (Sertao) spoke to me not in pictures but in person. People don’t let the pictures online deceive you the bike looks much better in person. My overall experience was great and I spent my day riding 3 motorcycles for about a period of 3 hrs in the back roads of Troy, NY. All in all a great sunny day and I believe a great choice for hitting dirt and commuting to and from work every day, rain or shine!

Seriously last thing; now that I went for the cheaper model I have money to farkle the Sertao to my taste. Suspension is the first upgrade that I'm hitting... Pic's to come soon...

Peace....
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #160
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Yes it would work but....in my opinion using the new BMW oil line would be a waste of money!! They show the price on the parts fiche as $130.00 for the new line
I fixed mine with a $1.56 piece of 1/2 inch 300psi push on hose and 2, 80 cent gear clamps.
Thanks for the info, any pics? I take it the best time to do this would be during my next oil change?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #161
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN View Post
I don't believe that one can get a non abs version. I have been told all bmw's starting in 2012 will have this as a standard component and not an option.
Disconnecting the ABS takes all of 10 minutes or so. Removing the unit, about a days work if there are no interruptions.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #162
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Heck, a guy or gal can also turn off the abs if they like on the Sertao too for the dirt or street-it's switchable.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #163
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Quote:
Thanks for the info, any pics? I take it the best time to do this would be during my next oil change?
Oil change time is a good idea, yes.

Perhaps cal has some pics, but in any case another option is to call a company called BAT in Florida. Some guys at the chain gang site got them to make a setup which costs around 70 dollars. Very nice looking braided line and anodized aluminum bolts make a very nice custom look. If you cannot find them, hit me with a message and I will try to dig up their contact details.

But cals solution is also popular since it is cheap. Some guys have just taken a 2 inch piece of hose, two clamps, and a hacksaw. They sawed off the line about six inches from the bottom, and then spliced in the rubber line. Lots of pics of these solutions over at f650-dot-com.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #164
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
Here's a partial answer and probably not entirely useful since I have the basic (non-Sertao) version, but yes the tach is legible (and I'm running the bike in so I'm looking at it all the time to stay below 5k rpm), and yes I have the taller seat.
Tom, its all good. those things are the same between the two bikes (wheels, suspension, and some bolt on goodies are different).

alskee750,
yeah good looking bike in the flesh. At 6'2" (33") inseam i found the seat height about right, but would have liked to have tried the optional taller seat (for more legroom). that and some bar risers would be spot on. Overall had less of a bulky feel than the XT660Z tenere.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #165
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Sertao seats...

alskee750,
yeah good looking bike in the flesh. At 6'2" (33") inseam i found the seat height about right, but would have liked to have tried the optional taller seat (for more legroom). that and some bar risers would be spot on. Overall had less of a bulky feel than the XT660Z tenere.[/QUOTE]

Spaceman..

I agree, but when I read the taller seat height comes at (I believe 35") I figured that would be too tall for me. Overall, the bike is a great platform for dual sporting and commuting. I'm going to dial in the bike to my liking and upgrade the suspension to my weight. I just placed a call into Joe at sasquatchrider to see what he can help to suit my needs.

I pick mine up on Saturday, centerstand & heidenau tires. I'm very happy with my decision.

Pic's to come soon..

Alex
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote