User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #1651
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Warranty coverage

Beak - Read that someone got their beak fixed, and strengthened, under warranty - how did you do that? I phoned BMW's 1800 number and they said there were no recalls on it. BMW Manhattan wasn't going for that either.

Decompression Lever - I'm having the stop/go starting issue, and BMW said they would "take another look at the battery"! Not much use to me, as we all know it's worthless, and I've already ordered the scorpion one. Phoned BMW, who again, said there was no recall on that.

Neutral - notchy as hell. Falls in and out of neutral, or sometimes its in neutral and the light doesnt show up. How long does the gearbox take to wear in?

Ugh.

PS - i have the large Expedition Tank Bag, and dont find it too soft at all. Not sure what the "expedition light" bag that pasemon is referring to.

The expedition
About the bike

nylon2000 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:10 AM Reason: Edited to add the PS
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #1652
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Nylon.

There's a reason that I stayed away from NYC BMW and sticked w/ Max BMW in CT. It's a drive but a nice ride either way. As for the beak I haven't had a issue yet. It is very flexible for sure lets see if it lives through my falls. As for the decompress issue there is a bulletin from BMW. I called Max BMW and they told me to bring it in and they serviced it while I waited. Took about 2.5 hrs. While I waited I test drove a few Demo bikes. You need to be a bit more persistent with them and tell them to fix the issue. Or try another dealer. Since my decom issue been fixed its riding fine. As to the neutral issue is quite common. How many miles on the moto? Probably still breaking in.

My 2cents. Good luck pm me if u need anything since I'm local.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #1653
nylon2000
Wanderer

1,000 miles, so maybe it'll take a while longer.

After I put the new battery in, I'll do a hundred miles of stop/go driving to see if the decomp thing is an issue.

May give max BMW a call also.

Thanks.

The expedition
About the bike
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #1654
nylon2000
Wanderer

Called MAX BMW - man, a world of difference. Super helpful. Brianna was really nice.

I'll drive it up and have the lever put in next week.

She said, that there was "another guy from manhattan with the same issue last week, and he rote the scooter while he waited"

lol, i think i know who that was...

PS. The decompression issue is on all Sertao's. The weak beak is Vin number specific.

The expedition
About the bike

nylon2000 screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 11:54 AM
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1655
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
PM me your email address if you're still having issues getting your fender replaced and I'll send you the ammo I put together that ended up pushing them to warranty my fender.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #1656
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Called MAX BMW - man, a world of difference. Super helpful. Brianna was really nice.

She said, that there was "another guy from manhattan with the same issue last week, and he rote the scooter while he waited"

PS. The decompression issue is on all Sertao's. The weak beak is Vin number specific.
I was told that according to the Service Bulletin, the decompression issue occurs on bikes manufactured after June 2012. Can anyone else confirm this.
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #1657
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff654 View Post

I was told that according to the Service Bulletin, the decompression issue occurs on bikes manufactured after June 2012. Can anyone else confirm this.
I can't confirm what the bulletin says, but I can tell you that I'm having the issue and I purchased mine in March 2012.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #1658
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:

Guys in the UK were having this issue show up on their G650GS before that time. See discussion in f650.co.uk

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #1659
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

Why yes that would be me ;-)

There good people and there customer service is great. Briana is the service manager and she'll help you out. My bike has over 7000 miles now, and it just started happening randomly. Brought in and job done, no hassle. I got my bike last march and had my s 600 and 6000 mile service done there. For my next interval I'll attempt it myself.

Good luck.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #1660
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
Guys in the UK were having this issue show up on their G650GS before that time. See discussion in f650.co.uk

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I have not experienced it yet. Purchased a 2012 in January with 2200 miles on it and have put on another 400. Previous owner said that he never experienced the hot start issue. I'm hoping this bike doesn't have it and that it will not surface in the future.
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #1661
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Decompression

I had the issue and my bike is a 2011 (non sertao but same engine)
BMW up here in Canada was aware of it and fixed the problem under warranty. I did have to ask, and then they asses if you need the service done or not.

I posted something about it here a few days ago:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=745

It is a bulletin and indeed NOT a recall.

Quote:

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #1662
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
It is a bulletin and indeed NOT a recall.
This is a good point, but -- speaking as an ex-parts manager -- a good dealership will still proactively track down owners and suggest service. Make no mistake: Dealerships make money on warranty repairs. I've always found it hard to fathom how and why dealers try to avoid doing warranty work.

In our shop, we'd look at each new bulletin coming in and see whether it applied to bikes we'd sold. If so, we'd call the customer. Same deal with bikes coming in for service. It's not difficult to run a year/model or VIN against a bulletin database to determine what's what. An up-to-date service history for your customers' bikes will let you know what service has been done.

It's not hard to treat your customers well. It flames my butt that so many dealerships don't.

/rant
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #1663
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post

It's not hard to treat your customers well. It flames my butt that so many dealerships don't.
Agreed!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #1664
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:

I don't think so. Mine is about to be done (decomp. lever on order) and I was told that this applies to bikes manufactured BEFORE October 2012. I think it was October. In any case, it's before, not after.

windowto screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 04:24 PM Reason: More info
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #1665
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Max, NY ordered up my warranty beak and it'll be in friday
Tires are on so the bike will be totally ready to go! Truck it home and into the nice, bright garage and time to get to work on it
I'll post some pic's as soon as she's finito