Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #1681
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
So the question I have is when did they or when are they installing the new lever at the factory? My bike was born August 2012. I wonder if it has the new style decompressor?
I believe it is after October 2012, sorry. I am talking from memory here. Mine will be installed soon, so I will make sure and ask again for that date. I will post it , when I know.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #1682
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
Ah. Good idea alskee. I probably dropped the sensor washer on the ground and couldn't remember where it went .. or I put a washer on it and there doesn't need to be one on it.
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #1683
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
No worky
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1684
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
G650GS/Sertao or ?

Help! I have to say I'm NOT yet an owner so please don't hate...I've been researching what to buy for months now and as such have read almost every page of this thread. Just when I thought I was good buying the G650GS last saturday, the salesman says "I guarantee 6 months in you're going to wish you bought the F700GS for more power"! I hadn't even considered that bike. And I KNOW it's his job to try to get you to buy something more expensive but I wanted some input if you don't mind?
Even with the hot start and battery issue, I can't remember ever seeing one of you say you wish you bought the bigger bike. Is the dealer full of it?
It's primarily going to be a commuter for my whopping 11 mile one way trip to work. But I do have offroading in my past and hopefully future so I'll call myself and my enduro need an 80-20.
I can't see anything really scathing about the F700GS in their threads, so any thoughts?
I sure like the sound of the F700GS and honestly it's not THAT much more.
You've all owned your G650GS/Sertao's for awhile now so what do you think? I think I'd be happy with either bike.
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #1685
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Help!
I wish I had never bought my Sertao. But not for the reason you might think.

I sold my Tiger 955 because it was too much beast to move around in tight spots. Now that I'm on the Sertao I'm longing for the days of zoom zoom and the Sertao is just lame ass boring to ride at times. I've only put 1900 miles on mine since May of last year and I'm already contemplating life without it. ( Or maybe I'll just put an S100RR in the garage too for my need for speed)

But the thing is, no matter what you buy there is always gonna be a new "thing" around the corner that some other dude will call the better solution. Buy your bike for what YOU want it to be and you'll be far happier than if someone talks you into the thing.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1686
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 46
DesertDav, From what I understand, BMW seems to put more love into their bigger bikes. The Sertao being their almost-cheapest GS, you'll probably end up facing a few problems early on.
Personally, I commute on mine everyday and am fine with it. Haven't had any issues (yet). It has all the power I need when I when I roll the throttle and I've taken it out of town a few times and have been happy (although I take a lot of back roads). I'm also cheap and enjoy not paying for the premium gas

If you're really all about the pavement I suppose I'd go ahead and get the 700 as a good balanced machine.
I've got a 1200cc Harley for when I want to go too fast
Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #1687
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Help! I have to say I'm NOT yet an owner so please don't hate...I've been researching what to buy for months now and as such have read almost every page of this thread. Just when I thought I was good buying the G650GS last saturday, the salesman says "I guarantee 6 months in you're going to wish you bought the F700GS for more power"! I hadn't even considered that bike. And I KNOW it's his job to try to get you to buy something more expensive but I wanted some input if you don't mind?
Even with the hot start and battery issue, I can't remember ever seeing one of you say you wish you bought the bigger bike. Is the dealer full of it?
It's primarily going to be a commuter for my whopping 11 mile one way trip to work. But I do have offroading in my past and hopefully future so I'll call myself and my enduro need an 80-20.
I can't see anything really scathing about the F700GS in their threads, so any thoughts?
You've all owned your G650GS/Sertao's for awhile now so what do you think? I think I'd be happy with either bike.
DD,

I think the twin is a great bike. I've rented F650GS's on tours and love them. They're exteremly capable and versatile. But I just bought a Sertao, because I wanted something much more desertworthy (>50%). Specifically, saving a few lbs., 21" front/spokes, and taller suspenesion, in a simple, bullet-proof package. I didn't go with an F800GS, because I didn't want the extra weight, though it's an extremely capable ride..

I think the Sertao is going to be a great match for my needs, but I have other bikes for touring, commuting and fun. If you haven't, I recommend test-riding both. There's a big difference in the way the feel. I think the twins are a much better choice for on-road only. But only you can decide how dirt-worthy you want your bike to be, and how much compromise you're comfortable with.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1688
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
DesertDav,

It is really a very personal decision. Don't let the salesman, or anyone of us talk you into something you are not sure you want. I bought the Sertao because I wanted a single, it appeals to me more than a twin, and it is a bit (36 lbs) lighter (although still too heavy) than the F700GS. I really like the thumper. It has plenty of power to get speeding tickets and it is really good on fuel. You can get used to any amount of power and then look to the next big thing. Ask yourself if you really need that.

Anyway, whatever you decide, make sure you really love the bike. Otherwise you will always ride in doubt, no matter which bike you buy.

Good luck!

W
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #1689
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
DesertDav

Really good points on all responses.

It took me a few hour going from the f800gs to the Sert test riding the bejesus out of them. The showroom was empty and the sales guy let me take my time. I went from interstate to some twisties and back. I rode both bike twice (f800gs/Sert/f800gs/Sert), each time I was on the F800gs I was like wow! Smooth, responsive and super fast (Maybe fast enough to get me in trouble alot). But while riding the f800gs I told myself how capable am I in taking this baby in the woods, heavy/picking it up/etc. The Sert was capable in every aspect from Highway to back roads twisty and never hesistated at all. Fit me like a glove, no problemas. Very nimble to throw around and I knew with a bit of mod's I can make this bullet proof.

I have 7500 miles on mine and brought it 2012 of March. I'm happy as a camper, good luck. Test ride them as much as you can...
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #1690
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
No worky
Swamp, not sure what the correct gap is for the speedo sensor but it's important for it to be right on spec. My triumph had a sensor that needed the correct spacing for the ignitor or that puppy would not turn on!

Looks like 12? Get some guages and call BMW shop and ask them what is the gap spacing.

Good luck.. Stop being lazy and get some video up on your steed.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #1691
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
You guys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
DesertDav

It took me a few hour going from the f800gs to the Sert test riding the bejesus out of them. The showroom was empty and the sales guy let me take my time. I went from interstate to some twisties and back. I rode both bike twice (f800gs/Sert/f800gs/Sert), each time I was on the F800gs I was like wow! Smooth, responsive and super fast (Maybe fast enough to get me in trouble alot). But while riding the f800gs I told myself how capable am I in taking this baby in the woods, heavy/picking it up/etc. The Sert was capable in every aspect from Highway to back roads twisty and never hesistated at all. Fit me like a glove, no problemas. Very nimble to throw around and I knew with a bit of mod's I can make this bullet proof.

I have 7500 miles on mine and brought it 2012 of March. I'm happy as a camper, good luck. Test ride them as much as you can...
Ditto, all good points, and I'm thrilled with the amount of responses you've all given me. Thank you.
Yeah, there's good points on both. LOVE LOVE the looks of the G650Gs/Sert, but love the idea of the twin engine and candy apple red on the 700 (but then I REALLY love that Kalamata green on the 800!!!!! make it stop...lol). I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or so they revamp the looks on the Sert (blasphemy!)
Anyway, it's alot to think about, but we all know that!
Ok, thanks again, and if anyone else wants to chime in on my next ride, of course please do so. Out.
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #1692
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Progressive springs questions

I have a few questions about the progressive front springs:

Which ones are better, "Progressive Suspension" or "HyperPro"? Any other good brands?

Is it possible to replace the springs without taking the fork legs off the bike by just unbolting the handlebars and moving them slightly out of the way?

With the fork legs fully extended, are the springs under pre-load? Or do I just open the caps, fish the spacers and the springs out, and insert the new ones? This is what it looks like from the service manual, but I just want to confirm with anyone who already did it.

Now to some nerdy questions:)

Since the progressive springs theoretically have more coils in them (I didn't count), are they heavier? Anybody had a chance to compare the weights?

For the same reason, are the progressive springs longer, when fully compressed? I am just curious if they limit the travel. Then again, if the stroke of the leg is limited by stopper in the fork slider tube while the spring is not fully compressed, then it should not matter. Anybody knows the answer to this?

I am only planning to change the front springs. I don't intend on doing any serious off-roading, just a little here and there. I am happy the way the bike rides on pavement and the way it handles the bumps. The only thing I really don't like is the way it dives during hard braking. I am hoping to address this with the progressive springs.

Thank you
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1693
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
DesertDav

+1 on that!
I have ridden allot of different street bikes and owned many more woods bikes. I could have bought the F800 but I asked myself; What do you want out of this thing? I want a bike I can pick up myself when fully loaded. Good mileage on cheap gas, cheap to buy, run and fix and be able to fix most things myself, nimble-ish off road, very nimble on back slab and dirt roads and nice thumper power. No speeding tickets and a worried wife. I save going fast for dirtbikes, skiing and biking. And I'm pretty fast. Aside from the decomp issue, actually not even an issue. The bike failed to start a couple of times and I just had to sit for a minute. My dealer fixed it free immediately. And speaking of dealers; Don't listen to that asshat. Do what you want. Ask yourself the big question and make your own deciscion. Of course, if you ask us, we'll tell you we love our Sertao's, but I will not tell you to get one. Only other thing is the stock battery. POS! But, you just replace it with a Scorpion for $63 as soon as you get it home. This engine is totally bulletproof and of all the different models it has graced, there will never be a shortage of spares.
Where is your primary riding done?
Blah, blah, blah
It's up to you. Good luck
Either way, they're all beemers and that sums it up.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #1694
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
The only thing I really don't like is the way it dives during hard braking. I am hoping to address this with the progressive springs.

Thank you
progressives are gonna dive worse, you're softer at the top of the stroke. to take the dive out w/progressives, you're gonna have to have wicked stiff springs, pretty much defeating the purpose.... and you gotta pretty much take the forks off/apart to do this, and change the oil while you're at it...
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #1695
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:

I've read all the responses...and agree with everything said. The only thing I would add is that you really need a minimum of 3 motorcycles, which After many years and marital discussions, I just achieved. A trail/motocross bike, a street bike, and a in between bike. The in between bike for me is the Sertao. This will be my dirt road/forest service road bike. I believe that is the niche the Sertao fits best. If you're a one bike guy at the moment, you have to figure out what you want this bike to do. You can't have it all. Actually you can, you just need to acquire more bikes that fit your riding profile. Good Luck.
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote