Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #1711
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Yeah, No high expectations. Even if it turns out that the initial travel is as soft as stock I'm perfectly fine with that and I probably should have said that from the beginning. I just want better bottoming resistance, especially off road.
Thanks bro
yeah brothers, i was soundin' hissy, and i really didn't mean that.... sorry....

i really like fuquin' w/springs, and i been gettin' them from cannonracecraft, and they been hookin' me up.... they don't have BMW springs listed, but i'm bettin' that most of the aftermarket spring guys get them from these guy's and rebadge.... they were trying to talk me into progressives for this last pair i got, actually.... they're supposed to be able to make custom, but i dunno what kinda $$$$ , so.... i just don't understand that progressive thing in the front.... i read all the colebatch stuff where he wants it real cushy, but on that loaded bike, if you hit sand w/that cushy stuff, the decrease in trail that you're gonna get when it compresses and you're havin' to keep up speed in the soft stuff?..... it's gonna get real interesting.... there's alotta voodoo in getting the right spring rate and how it effects chassis geometry....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #1712
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Why not go with RaceTech HP springs to suit your riding/weight? Throw some emulators and be done with it? Just my 2cents. If I dont go the YZF conversion I will go w/ RaceTech.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #1713
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Thumb 2013 Giant Loop Great Basin on 2012 BMW G650GS Sertao

This is the bag i will likely be taking to mexico, central, south america and africa.

Someone at Giant Loop must have a Sertao because this bag seems like it was designed around our bike. it literally fits PERFECTLY.

the three mounting points in the back of the bag line up exactly to the three mounting points on the stock tail rack. its absolutely amazing how well this bag fits this bike. the other two mounts go to the rear passenger pegs. the bag doesnt come close to touching the exhaust. its golden.

you can carry as little or as much as you want. when its fully cinched down with just a few things inside it is about the same size as the coyote (with nothing in it) but it fits better (i have the coyote as well).

it is relatively easy to mount and dismount the bag. however, once it is on the bike i have never really felt the need to remove the bag from the bike during long rides. i usually just take the shit out of it and leave the bag attached.

this new model is supposed to have a place to put a cable lock (like one you would use to lock a bicycle to a tree)... i cant find it.

i've been riding with giant loop bags for a while now. they are very well made, but with this new Great Basin model they have really stepped it up in the adjust-ability, fit, quality, performance, ingenuity and practicality departments. the bags are made in the USA. when you get through dicking around with the other crap thats on the market. give Harold at giant loop a call.

a short walk around it... and talk about it:

proper way to seam seal a GL Bag:

... in other news:
i found what the rear tail box is intended for...

Aerostich makes a "1 pound compressor". It fits perfectly in the tail box.
saaaweeet!

This is what a 1 gallon Rotopax looks like lashed to the rear tail rack.

... and i hit my knee with a chainsaw while working on some single track. thought for sure i was screwed.

swamp screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 09:52 PM Reason: iframe videos
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #1714
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
... and i hit my knee with a chainsaw while working on some single track. thought for sure i was screwed.

Jeeezuz, man! Glad you came out relatively unscathed. That could have been a freakin' disaster!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 AM   #1715
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Jeeezuz, man! Glad you came out relatively unscathed. That could have been a freakin' disaster!
Chaps anyone
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #1716
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:

BTW, it really must be said that this is THE BUSINESS! *ahem*

Best looking Sert I've seen yet. As in, "BMW ... uh ... you lookin'?"
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #1717
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298

Beautiful Swamp! I love my YZ front, completely changed my bike! The Sertao looks better single piped than the Dakar due to the tank taper towards the rear. Wish they would have just sold it with a single pipe and tapered / balanced the tank all the way to the rear of the side fairing. The Dakar looks just like something is missing, although I like my bigger tank! Running Wolfman racks, bags and x2 rotopax on the sides when camping and cannot say enough about either! Great package. Thanks for being a trailblazer with the Sertao. It was a huge move with such a freshly new bike!
Just for shits and giggles when you have time from chopping yourself and bike up, can you throw on the Sertao front fender and let us see it? I know it's a weak point of contention w/you Sertao owners, had the same thoughts on the Dakar fender but it visually completes the bike IMO. That and, I'd keep the fender for if/when you resell later.
Now if they would just lighten the bikes with this package and a lighter tubular frame!......
Cheers.

nomad5326 screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 07:21 AM
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #1718
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

sweet ride nomad.
i like that redneck, red painted sub-frame action

yea ill keep the stock front fender but i really hated the way it looked & bobbled around on my bike. (ill sell it to you if you want to buy it or trade for something cool.)

you say the dakar has a larger fuel tank. the sertao is listed at 3.7 gallons . how many gallons does the dakar have ? just wondering.

--- i still havent figured out how to get my speedo / odometer to work. yes i followed the instructions to the T. I even took the bike to the bmw shop to have my friend (the lead tech there) take a look at it. an hour later we gave up.

whoever the next Sertao/YZ mod guy is please pay attention to this part of the conversion. let me know if you are able to get it to work. as for now, ill be rocking the gorilla tape

thanks!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1719
robram
Trilheiro

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Looks nice, in how many places does it attach to the frame? by looking at the picture is really hard to tell, please post more picures. How much does it cost?
Hi,

6 places.

At Brazil this protector value is about US$ 325.

robram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1720
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
you guys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Or not. Some of us are perfectly happy with smaller displacements. I'm firmly in the "slow bike fast" category of rider. "Fast bike slow" seems to be such a waste. YMMV an' all that.
Yep, I have to say to the comment a few posts back, I wasn't thinking of the 700 as an "in between" or compromise between the 650 and the 800. I've got the "inseam challenged" disease, so the 800, although I do love that Kalamata color, wasn't really a viable option for me. My mind was kinda just working in overdrive with too much logic, thinking hey for only a couple grand more, I get 50% more horses.
And as far as the Sert goes, it's almost a tippy-toer, too...maybe not quite as bad. Another dealer said he rode a sert for awhile and that you get used to that problem in about a week. NOT to sure how THAT works! lol
But the biggest theme of "buy it for what you're going to use it for" is the common thought, I think. Going back and forth to work 11 miles each way...I think G650GS is the one for me. I like how they're offering spoke rims on it now, so I can get that "in-between" of a G650GS and a SERT possibly without the tippy-tow syndrom that I'm afraid of. My last two bikes had 6 speeds so hopefully I'm not always lookin for 6th.
If that's my only problem with it, then happy day! YMMV?
Thanks again for all the valuable insight, and I'll let you know what I get when I get it.
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #1721
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 298
"You say the dakar has a larger fuel tank. the sertao is listed at 3.7 gallons . how many gallons does the dakar have ? just wondering."

2002 F650GS Dakar Fuel: Looks like a full gallon diff!

Fuel capacity:17.30 litres (4.57 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity:4.50 litres (1.19 gallons)
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #1722
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Picked up my bike from Max today with the new Heidenau's on it and all of my parts in a box.
I threw the High seat on right away to make sure it was going to work and wow! Along with the bar risers, the bike fit is totally transformed! I'm up on it now like a dirtbike instead of down in it like a friggin' crotch rocket. I can't wait to power slide that mutha around a dirty corner at 60!
They replaced the beak with the new unit so we're good to go with that.
As soon as I got her home I jumped into the exhaust. Someone had said that it took him like a half hour to get the stock system off with all kinds of banging this and wrenching that. It took me a couple minutes to remove my side racks and fairing panels, about 15 seconds to survey the scene and figure out where to start and finish and about a minute to easily bang the two sections of the pipe apart and off the bike. So easy.
The install went the same way. Then I threw it back together and while I had the seat off, I removed the battery cover and swapped out the POS for the Scorpion. Put it all back together nice and turned the key, stabbed the button and Braaaapp!!!! That thing sounds like a pissed off XR600 for christ's sake! I love it!
Then I mounted up the new Wolfman tank bag and the fit is absolutely perfect.
That's it for now. It started to get too damn cold in the garage.
I'll do the headlight bulb and the fork springs tomorrow morning before skiing and see if I have time to do anymore later. If not, it'll be in a day or two.
When I'm all done I'll post the pics and the complete parts run down. Really not much, just focusing on better ergo's.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #1723
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

lets see a picture of the high seat.
is it flat like a dirt bike seat or does it have the "cup" in it still ?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #1724
Valimagdon
Scooter Boy

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
lets see a picture of the high seat.
is it flat like a dirt bike seat or does it have the "cup" in it still ?
It has the cup. I got a Seat Concepts cover/ foam and it is nice and flat where it needs to be.
Tall/ Dakar seat:
SeatConcepts:
--HC
Valimagdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #1725
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Puig engine guards, otter box for gps, and pelican cases are on their way. :-D

As soon as I get home I'll be fabricating my rear racks
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote