Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1756
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Seems that everyone is switching to the $63 scorpion battery, but has anyone tried the Shorai Lithium battery?

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lfx14l5-bs12.html

OK, so its $150, but its 6lbs lighter, which is roughly the same weight savings I'd get from the Leo exhaust.

Anyone?
I was seriously considering it. I don't mind the price and I really wanted the weight savings from this beast. But, after reading enough about it, I reluctantly decided against it. It needs to be warmed up in cold weather, and the capacity is much less than the original.

I wound up buying an AGM Motobatt MB12U Battery for $82 and happy I did it. It is actually 0.4 lbs heavier than the original (I put them both on the scale), but it has over 20% more capacity, 15AH, to be exact (versus 12AH OEM & Scorpion). It has two years warranty and it fits like a glove. I can tell you the battery has some power. Even though I am one of the people having the hot-start issue, this battery powers right through it. My OEM battery, while declared perfectly fit by BMW, was not able to give me reliable starts at the gas station. This battery starts the engine in spite of the faulty decompression lever (to be replaced on Friday). Yes, I get that occasional engine stoppage during warm start. But, after letting go of the start button, I get it going with this battery. To early for longevity evaluation, but for now it rocks. Highly recommend!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #1757
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Seems that everyone is switching to the $63 scorpion battery, but has anyone tried the Shorai Lithium battery?

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lfx14l5-bs12.html

OK, so its $150, but its 6lbs lighter, which is roughly the same weight savings I'd get from the Leo exhaust.

Anyone?
I agree, after reading all the write ups on hard starts during the cold I decided to decline at that price. Oh, you also need to get a different charger for it as well. There are other ways to trim the fat on the pig, everything cost just depends how far your willing to go..
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #1758
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
And besides, I have bigger fish to fry. Was it you that went to the dealer the other day and tried the scooter? I did today and I'm getting one for the wife (and me and the boys:) I never would have dreamed a scooter could be so fun to ride! What a flamer
That would be me... I told you there a hoot and pretty comfy too. I've never owned a scooter before but if I had to I would get that one.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #1759
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Definitely go for the expanded rear pegs.
In the picture on TT's site they look black. Mine came and are stainless, which I actually like better. I will have complete pics of the bike in a couple days.
In going through the Touratech offerings, I think these might suit me better: http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...air-and-G650GS

I'm not likely to get into tight enough stuff to worry about 18mm wider on each side. The additional support under the boot would be most welcome.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #1760
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
OK, an hour of reading later and I'm glad im going with the scorpion...

Here's a good long adv post about shorai:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...770364&page=21

Alskee - which charger do you use? The Battery Tender brand would have been fine.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #1761
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
OK, an hour of reading later and I'm glad im going with the scorpion...

Here's a good long adv post about shorai:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...770364&page=21

Alskee - which charger do you use? The Battery Tender brand would have been fine.
Nylon2000,

Before you pull the trigger on the Scorpion (which is a good choice), I suggest you check out the motobatt MB12U. For $20 extra you will get over 20 % more capacity. And two extra terminals, in case you decide to put more electrical stuff on the bike. That's right, the battery has two pairs of terminals. Cool stuff.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1762
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Nylon2000,

Before you pull the trigger on the Scorpion (which is a good choice), I suggest you check out the motobatt MB12U. For $20 extra you will get over 20 % more capacity. And two extra terminals, in case you decide to put more electrical stuff on the bike. That's right, the battery has two pairs of terminals. Cool stuff.
I almost got that battery. Weight isn't an issue really to me. I am happy that I ditched the stock exhaust, but even there, I am more into the small power gain and the open spot for a tool tube. My friend builds custom harley's and said he can fabricate something and powder coat it to mount the twisted throttle tool tube no problem.
I also like the sound of the Leo Vince. I'm not talking about blasting someone's rear view mirror out or disturbing the peace in my quiet countryside. I often come across horses and cyclists and walkers and such and they will here me coming now. The stock pipe sounded like a friggin' sewing machine and more than once I scared the dentures off some poor old lady walking her shihtzu
The new pipe gives the bike it's true thumper growl. It is NOT excessively loud. I just want people to hear me when I'm close. I feel safer.
I had a Shorai for my KTM 525 asshat attempt to call a dual-sport bike and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Sure it's light, but it wouldn't hold a charge to start that crazy compression bastard at all. I dropped the coin for the over priced charger and it didn't help. I couldn't get the bike to start at all if the temps dropped below 50!
Sure the Scorpion is new to me so I can't say anything about longevity, but even my dealer said a duracell 9v is better than stock and for $63 who cares if it only lasts two years. It's worth every penny in his eyes.

I should get my pictures together tomorrow if time permits.
And I can't wait to carve some slab on the scooter!
Shit, I keep looking at swamp's frankenscooter and I think that thing if f#@%* sick!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #1763
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Leo V

How did you find the new pipe?
I got mine on the weekend and I noticed a few things.
It was louder, but not "crazy" loud, sounded better, looks cool lol, free space on the other side and less weight.

I do notice the bike "kick" a little more, it revs more aggressively. It's hard to explain... does anyone else notice this

Finally, the install was easy enough.

Quote:
I almost got that battery. Weight isn't an issue really to me. I am happy that I ditched the stock exhaust, but even there, I am more into the small power gain and the open spot for a tool tube. My friend builds custom harley's and said he can fabricate something and powder coat it to mount the twisted throttle tool tube no problem.
I also like the sound of the Leo Vince. I'm not talking about blasting someone's rear view mirror out or disturbing the peace in my quiet countryside. I often come across horses and cyclists and walkers and such and they will here me coming now. The stock pipe sounded like a friggin' sewing machine and more than once I scared the dentures off some poor old lady walking her shihtzu
The new pipe gives the bike it's true thumper growl. It is NOT excessively loud. I just want people to hear me when I'm close. I feel safer.
I had a Shorai for my KTM 525 asshat attempt to call a dual-sport bike and I was thoroughly unimpressed. Sure it's light, but it wouldn't hold a charge to start that crazy compression bastard at all. I dropped the coin for the over priced charger and it didn't help. I couldn't get the bike to start at all if the temps dropped below 50!
Sure the Scorpion is new to me so I can't say anything about longevity, but even my dealer said a duracell 9v is better than stock and for $63 who cares if it only lasts two years. It's worth every penny in his eyes.

I should get my pictures together tomorrow if time permits.
And I can't wait to carve some slab on the scooter!
Shit, I keep looking at swamp's frankenscooter and I think that thing if f#@%* sick!!!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #1764
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
It was louder, but not "crazy" loud, sounded better, looks cool lol, free space on the other side and less weight.
It sure does look good. I think I drooled a bit when I saw the carbon fibre can.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #1765
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
How did you find the new pipe?
I got mine on the weekend and I noticed a few things.

I do notice the bike "kick" a little more, it revs more aggressively. It's hard to explain... does anyone else notice this

Finally, the install was easy enough.
I got it from RevZilla. I can't remember if someone here recommended them or if I just googled the pipe?
+1 on easy removal of stock and install.
Me too on the "kick" The bike rev's freely and as I only shot a few hundred yards down my dirt road I definitely noticed that kick in the low end.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #1766
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
The core of the peg looks identical to the stock pegs so I would think the rubber inserts would fit?
I can tell you this; I took the bike down the street today for just a minute and stood on the pegs the whole time. What a big difference! Never going back!

I have only experienced a slight vibration in the pegs around 65mph (something I don't do too often around here) and actually, the bike is still breaking in and I have noticed that the vibes are becomming less noticeable. You may only take real notice of the buzzing (the whole bike does it) if you are doing extended freeway time. And if that is what you're after than I think you may have the wrong bike:( I looked at the new F700GS bike today and I literally almost bought it on the spot. The only reason I didn't is family. I ride my sert alone, I ride my mtb and road bikes alone. I work alone (if you call it work:) so I try to spend every free minute raising my boys and kissing my wife.
Anyway, the F700 imop is a sweet little slab bike. cheap, nice power, cheap, BMW....... I likey!
Nope, I definitely have the exact bike that suits my needs. Now I'm looking for the pegs that do the same.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #1767
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 47
Swamp, how does the bike handle being on the road now, at about 55-65 mph? I'd like to be able to get to some trails a few hours from point A without getting sick on the way.
And, kdennan, have you done any off-road to speak of with the progressive springs?

I'm trying to strike a good on/off-road balance. 60/40, maybe 50/50.
At the moment the beemer is my main mode of transport and I need it to be able to go between towns a few times a month, generally avoiding roads with speed limits over 55.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Pivot Pegz? Moving pegs seem slightly unsafe but I can't stop wandering if they're any good.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #1768
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
At the moment the beemer is my main mode of transport and I need it to be able to go between towns a few times a month, generally avoiding roads with speed limits over 55.
Heidenau K60 (60/40) or TKC-80 (50/50). Maybe the new Karoo III, but hard to tell because it's not available yet.
ar1814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #1769
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
Swamp, how does the bike handle being on the road now, at about 55-65 mph? I'd like to be able to get to some trails a few hours from point A without getting sick on the way.
And, kdennan, have you done any off-road to speak of with the progressive springs?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Pivot Pegz? Moving pegs seem slightly unsafe but I can't stop wandering if they're any good.
Not yet. I only shot down my road but I did grab a handfull of the front brake and noticed that there was hardly any front end dive. I'm happy with that
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #1770
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
prepare to spend a lot of money and plenty of garage time.
just my 2 cents.... but that will never be as good as a full front end swap

wonderful
I love your encouragement

but maybe you are right
I do have a great dual sport with revalved suspension
and 275lb curb weight incl the button
why bother with my heavy + (for me) tall pig of commuter?

no, wait,
why was it you could not leave one single bolt stay stock?

but point taken,
maybe I should invest in my beloved VT-E instead
same weight and power,
just as quick or slow on forestry service roads

now the same old question I keep asking
but never get an answer for:
adjustable front brake lever for the Tao?
had one on the Dakar,
so there must be one
but
once again the WWW proved to conseal more than it reveals
thanks for your help
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote