Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #1801
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
If the timing is right for decent group make it happen I'm all ears. Vermont really is a beautiful state! That Horizon event sounds good to...
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1802
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
If the timing is right for decent group make it happen I'm all ears. Vermont really is a beautiful state! That Horizon event sounds good to...
I definitely know roads in southern VT, but I don't think I can name a half dozen of them. And I'm no GPS geek. I toss my watch, get on the bike and twist the throttle. I can read a map great and can put names with the dirty twisties for sure, but I'm going to need some help to organize anything more than a rip and some beers and brat's

Actually, I don't even own a watch

I rode the Puppy Dog route with a buddy last year with out the BMW VT club and that was a friggin' blast. Mostly dirt roads from northern Mass to the Canadian border. We did it in a day. So maybe our northern neighbor can pick it up from there? Or someone south can figure out dirt roads thru Mass and ??? Sorry, all I can picture once you get south of there is soccer mom's in giant rigs, texting and mowing me over
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #1803
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Hot Start Fixed

Hot Start problem fixed today. Had the decompression lever changed today per BMW bulletin. Bike starts beautifully (cold or hot). Happy camper here.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #1804
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I toss my watch, get on the bike and twist the throttle.
amen!

I'll try to help if I can but I'm not sure how to go about it yet. My pinnacle of technology is google maps.
I don't own a GPS, I like getting lost too much

Got the Wolf racks on. Tomorrow I'm going to try to fabricate the hard luggage mount kit for them.

also, there was no way I was paying $40 for this. Thats the metal shield from a power supply in a plasma screen.

& a lucky bell for warding off evil road demons.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #1805
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
amen!

I'll try to help if I can but I'm not sure how to go about it yet. My pinnacle of technology is google maps.
I don't own a GPS, I like getting lost too much

Got the Wolf racks on. Tomorrow I'm going to try to fabricate the hard luggage mount kit for them.

also, there was no way I was paying $40 for this. Thats the metal shield from a power supply in a plasma screen.

& a lucky bell for warding off evil road demons.

Dude! I likey

I just PM'd a guy I met on the WHACO Jamaica thread over in the northeast regional forum about figuring something out. He lives in NH so I was thinking of starting with something I know like the Puppy Dog route up through VT and then a quick zap into Canada and then back down into NH to make a loop. I have the family to consider so right now I think I can only pull off a long weekend. Or a midweek thing. But weekend is better. Anyway, The only place I have been in NH is Mount Washington so I asked him that even if we have to slab it, if he could help us through the Presidentials and maybe down the Kangamangus Hwy, with some primitive camping somewhere in the middle. Then dirt road it south and loop it together at possibly the start of the PDR in northern Mass?
I rode the PDR in a day with a couple buds and camped at the end, but I'd like to figure out the Canada thing and camp there, eh? I think we'd have to make a long enough stay there to then be able to head down into NH to make camp for one night and then finish the ride the next day in Mass. So that makes 3 days right now. So if this guy figures out NH for us then that only leaves Canada. If anyone has thoughts on this lay it down. Otherwise I think I can figure something out. I do have a Garmin bicycle gps that I did use to follow the PDR, so I am not against using it for this. It is afterall faster in creating a route and following it. Unless I make a route sheet. I only want to be a littel speedy with that part because I would hate to delay a group. I too love to get lost, but I do have a shedule to kinda stick to.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #1806
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Tail light: I might try to buy this and screw it on: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
You might also want to look at this one, although I am not sure if it has the license plate light integrated in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Durable...eywords=g650gs
Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1807
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great info, thanks for providing. So I'm back to the question I asked a while back, how do you know if you'll have the hot start issue? I have not experienced it at all in the 2400 miles on my Feb 2012 bike. Does this mean I'm immune? Or is it still waiting to rear it's ugly head? I've tried to replicate the "hot start" situation, to no avail. Does anyone have any input of why some, and not others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Dazz,

This link contains the information about the hot start issue. This is a PDF document, but you might want to download and save it, since I was told the link will only be active for a few days. I got the link from another inmate on the f650.uk thread. BTW, BMW only covers this thing under warranty until the end of this year.

Here is the link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27587247/11...e_starting.pdf

P. S. Just got another link to the same document. This one is supposedly permanent: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #1808
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
BTW, BMW only covers this thing under warranty until the end of this year.
And what does this mean?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #1809
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff654 View Post
Great info, thanks for providing. So I'm back to the question I asked a while back, how do you know if you'll have the hot start issue? I have not experienced it at all in the 2400 miles on my Feb 2012 bike. Does this mean I'm immune? Or is it still waiting to rear it's ugly head? I've tried to replicate the "hot start" situation, to no avail. Does anyone have any input of why some, and not others?

I really don't think you are immune. You do have the same part number decompression lever. Your exauhst valve is probably on the tighter end (meaning the clearance is at the lower end), so you might be OK for now. But if, for some reason, the clearance goes up, you would be same place with the rest of us. I just had mine fixed yesterday, and it makes a huge difference. If I were you, I would insist the lever be changed under warranty before the year end. If you have a 6000 mile service, you are 95% of labor already there. The 6000 mile service requires a valve clearance check, if the tech is in there, it only takes 5 additional minutes to change the lever.

I wish I had a more encouraging answer for you but, I think, better safe than sorry. Then again, you could just leave it alone and wait. The risk is not great. I imagine if you went past warranty, the whole fix would cost you no more than $300-400. Or if you get to valve clearance check first, then just make sure they do it anyway. The part is about $50 bucks, and the extra labor is just minutes.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1810
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
And what does this mean?

This means YOU (not BMW) would have to pay for the fix, if you didn't claim it before December 31, 2013.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #1811
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
I really don't think you are immune.
Its under warranty and takes only a few hours of a person's time so I don't understand why any one would skip getting it looked at, there is no good reason to not have fully covered warranty work done in my opinion.
Plus if I were buying a used 2012 at some point in the future I would NOT buy one that has not had this procedure done yet or the equivalent part change out done by owner.

Mine is at mile 1960 as of today and has both the COLD and HOT start issues and has been a major pain in the ass. I let it sit in my garage pretty much since October because of it with only short rides. Now that spring is here I'm due to get the work done next week and get this monkey off my back and start doing some long tours.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #1812
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the bike used a few months ago with not many miles on it. I'm sure Ill rack up enough this summer to pursue the 6000 mile service in the fall. At that time, I'll have them replace it even if its not an issue just yet.
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #1813
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff654 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I bought the bike used a few months ago with not many miles on it. I'm sure Ill rack up enough this summer to pursue the 6000 mile service in the fall. At that time, I'll have them replace it even if its not an issue just yet.
And if it IS an issue by then, then you'll get the valve check on account of the warranty work. So you'll pretty much just have to pay for the remainder, which is basically an oil change:).
Old 03-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #1814
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
In action

Change of topic, but I finally got a decent action shot. There was deeper water elsewhere, but we weren't organized enough to take photos of those:

Pine Barrens, NJ.

Soooo glad I've got the TKCs on, riding through the sand on the Tourance was a joke.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #1815
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Nice pic!

I got ahold of my guy about getting thru NH and he will give me a gpx file for my Garmin, so that will take care of that. Now all I have to do is easily piece together Canada.
I'll keep you all posted

Going out for the first ride next Saturday to the Blue Benn in Bennington.
C'mon out for some killer breakfast!