Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 AM   #1816
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Now all I have to do is easily piece together Canada.
Deadly99 has a nice little thread about this wee thing called the TCAT.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #1817
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Deadly99 has a nice little thread about this wee thing called the TCAT.
Cool, I'll check it out. I think I'll have to keep it short and sweet for this trip. My time is limited these days.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #1818
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Cool, I'll check it out. I think I'll have to keep it short and sweet for this trip. My time is limited these days.
Thanks
TCAT itself isn't by any means short and sweet, but bits and pieces of it themselves make for epic rides. Definitely on my bucket list!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #1819
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
I went to the Tokyo Motorcycle Show with my son yesterday and I had a chance to finally sit on a Sert. I gotta say that my 30" inseam is really stretchin' it for this bike. I'm comfortably on my tiptoes with the stock seat, but the scoop is not workin' for this kid. Which means that the high seat is a must. Not sure how well that'll work out.

All that said, I really liked how the bike felt with the notable exception of those rinky-dink little footpegs. WTH? Something wider would need to be bolted on ASAP before I'd feel happy standing up.
Trane, so to expand on what I was talking about before, when I first sat on that SERT at the dealership for the test ride, I ALMOST got right off it because I'm a safety-first kinda guy. I didn't want to wreck the dang thing. But, I thought no, I'm gonna stick it out, because I found the color I wanted at this dealership and being a 2012 NEW model I might never get this chance again. So, off I went testing the Sert, in all it's tallness.
Got back to the dealership in one piece and sat on the regular height G650GS and literally sighed a mental sigh of relief and went "ahhh, MUCH better", because of the lower height.
It wasn't even because I was flat-footing because I wasn't, even on the regular height G650GS, but it was the difference that made the difference. Clear as mud?? lol Unfortunately, the ONLY dual purpose I found in my months of research that I could literally flat-foot it on was the XT250. As far as I know at this time you can't get ABS on any of the Japanese thumpers, and that was a must for me (note I said thumper, not specifically ADV bike).
So, I now have a week old 2012 new red G650GS, and I'm happy with my purchase so far. I can only tell you MY story, but I'm sure some of these guys can shed some light on if one ever "gets used" to the height like one dealer told me you do.
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #1820
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Trane, so to expand on what I was talking about before, when I first sat on that SERT at the dealership for the test ride, I ALMOST got right off it because I'm a safety-first kinda guy. I didn't want to wreck the dang thing. But, I thought no, I'm gonna stick it out, because I found the color I wanted at this dealership and being a 2012 NEW model I might never get this chance again. So, off I went testing the Sert, in all it's tallness.
Got back to the dealership in one piece and sat on the regular height G650GS and literally sighed a mental sigh of relief and went "ahhh, MUCH better", because of the lower height.
It wasn't even because I was flat-footing because I wasn't, even on the regular height G650GS, but it was the difference that made the difference. Clear as mud?? lol Unfortunately, the ONLY dual purpose I found in my months of research that I could literally flat-foot it on was the XT250. As far as I know at this time you can't get ABS on any of the Japanese thumpers, and that was a must for me (note I said thumper, not specifically ADV bike).
So, I now have a week old 2012 new red G650GS, and I'm happy with my purchase so far. I can only tell you MY story, but I'm sure some of these guys can shed some light on if one ever "gets used" to the height like one dealer told me you do.
DesertDav,

Two days ago I was at the dealership had my hot-start issue worked on. I did test-drive the F700GS. I was thinking about you, since this was one of the bikes you were contemplating. I did like it more than I had expected. It was smooth, powerful, and it was easier to keep it upright, since it is lower than the Sertao, and I am 6 feet tall. I enjoyed it on the road, but I could tell that the suspension is firmer than I would have liked. Also, I did not like that the engine is completely exposed on the bottom and the fact that the exhaust seems to be everywhere you look. If you have a wife or a girlfriend, it would be hard to keep her from getting burned.

Anyway, I am mumbling here. Congratulations on your new bike! I am sure you are going to love it. The G650GS is a nice ride

P. S, make sure the dealership replaces the decompression lever. Don't wait for the problem. There is no reason to go through this frustration with a new bike.

windowto screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 01:01 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #1821
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
DesertDave good afternoon.

You are a smart man. You bought a great bike for you. If your engine number is after 61712400 you have the new style decompression lever. If not, they'll put the updated one in under warranty. Congratulations on a wise decision. Have fun on that thing.
XR200, 1947 James ML
dazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #1822
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
DesertDav,

Two days ago I was at the dealership had my hot-start issue worked on. I did test-drive the F700GS. I was thinking about you, since this was one of the bikes you were contemplating. I did like it more than I had expected. It was smooth, powerful, and it was easier to keep it upright, since it is lower than the Sertao, and I am 6 feet tall. I enjoyed it on the road, but I could tell that the suspension is firmer than I would have liked. Also, I did not like that the engine is completely exposed on the bottom and the fact that the exhaust seems to be everywhere you look. If you have a wife or a girlfriend, it would be hard to keep her from getting burned.

Anyway, I am mumbling here. Congratulations on your new bike! I am sure you are going to love it. The G650GS is a nice ride

P. S, make sure the dealership replaces the decompression lever. Don't wait for the problem. There is no reason to go through this frustration with a new bike.

I like the looks of the F7 for slab for sure. Never gonna part with the Sert for dirt roads and some back slab twisties, but I'd love a true bendy burner. When my bike goes in for the 6k service I'll test ride the 700

Happy Easter guys!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #1823
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
kdennan - nice list of upgrades (yeah, im behind - just read your post there).

You said you had lots of camping stuff as well. Same here, but im interested in anything you got that was for bike camping specific, or recently added.

I used to backpack lots, but bike camping is different.

NY-lon

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #1824
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

You said you had lots of camping stuff as well. Same here, but im interested in anything you got that was for bike camping specific, or recently added.

NY-lon
I should get around to laying everything out today and taking some pics to add to my album in smugmug. Then I'll post here all that I use
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1825
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
..yawn. someone post a picture of their bike.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #1826
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104

SwollenCranium screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 10:07 AM
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1827
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
..yawn. someone post a picture of their bike.

I agree, I'm getting bored... I guess I'll go jam some more..
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #1828
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

NY-lon

http://kdennan.smugmug.com/Other/cam...9274&k=KPpwJkg

I have other goodies like sleeping bag, etc. that are no-brainers of course

May 17th, WHACO Jamaica will be the first trip!
Snowing here right now
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1829
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Packed for a 2,000 dirt miler

Someone wanted pics?

I'm headed on a 7-10 day trip following the TET from NY down to Charlotte, NC and back.

I'm going with a friend, so we split the tent/stove up. Generally I didn't try to skimp on gear, as I have some longer trips coming up, and will need to carry at least this much.

Total weight of my gear, including bags, is ~60lbs. That includes camping gear, a couple of days of food, spare clothes, basic spares for the bike, some whiskey, laptop etc.

I pushed the wolfman dry bag as far forward as i could, as i want to see if i can then mount rotopax on the top rack behind it.

Will report on the gear when I'm back.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #1830
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
the beverly hillbillies would be proud

take lots of pictures. its a good time of the year to be riding where you are riding. looks like the weather is on your side too.

if you are doing a ride report post the link to it in here for us so that we can talk about you behind your back while you are gone.

enjoy the ride !

off the grid and deep in the woods

swamp screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:22 PM
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote