windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1877
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
My dealer, Max BMW in Troy, NY

I was going to get them, but Gregg told me that and I also figure that I'd need them if I was constantly following someone on dirt roads, but when I looked at the front of the bike from just a couple feet away, it really is a slim little bike. The rad's are pretty tucked in there I think. I did get the TT fork guards and headlight guard cause I do follow my buddy from time to time, but I am not too concerned about the radiators.
One other thing that I think helps in the stone flicking area is the low front fender. I have it and I know that thing stops allot of stones from getting chucked up and out in front of me. It also stops most of the mud and water spray from getting onto my headlight
Kdennan,

I think it's a little bit of wishful thinking on your part. To me the radiator is the most vulnerable thing on an otherwise pretty tough bike. Yes, if everything was to come horizontally from the front, you might be OK. But there is no telling how a branch or a rock could get in there. I would hate be sitting in the woods with a hole in the radiator. The radiator guards was the first thing I put on the bike.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #1878
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
What exactly is the BMW Motorrad Diagnostic mentioned in the service manual? Is it worth ponying up for the tool? Everything else in the service manual seems pretty easy...
It's a diagnostic computer that connects to a multi-pin connector on your bike (just above the radiator on the right side of the bike). I don't think I would go to BMW and pay for it, unless I suspect a problem.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #1879
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
http://kdennan.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...2943&k=3m8bwG9

Look at the front profile of the bike. Not a great picture, but look how the radiators are so tucked in along the lines of the bike behind the forks.
And the last shot shows a great side profile of the bike. The low front fender completely prevents rocks from flying up into the front of the bike. Completely!
My only concerns were the forks and the headlight. Problem solved
I bought some last week but haven't installed them yet.. Im debating it only cause I'm going on a long gravel road trip.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1880
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
The engine # is located just behind the gear shifter. You may need a flashlight to read it. It is engraved on the black case and it is the top # you want, there are two located here but the top is the only one you need.
By the way my bike was produced before the change and the dealer had told me that it was produced after the change. Thanks to the service B info posted here I now have it in the shop NOW having it fixed. Thanks for posting the link to the info. I had been trying to get the info for months because I suspected I had not been getting the truth from my dealer since I have been having the warm start problem ever since I bought the bike and had even sent it in to the dealer because of the problem. But now it should be getting fixed. But only because of the info shared on this website.
Thanks Windowto, and Bronson1, so my mechanical ineptness is really showing now and I hate to admit, but even with your guidance and a flashlight, I still couldn't find the engine number on my bike. Do I need to remove any of the bodywork to find it?
I'm just going to assume since my bike was manufactured in 02/12, it needs the "silent recall", and will advise my service associate when I take her in for the 600 mile. I thought I'd wait til the 6k service but I honestly have no idea how many miles I'm gonna put on her prior to end of 2013, so I don't want to chance it. 600 mile service it will be! ;-)
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #1881
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Kdennan,

I think it's a little bit of wishful thinking on your part. To me the radiator is the most vulnerable thing on an otherwise pretty tough bike. Yes, if everything was to come horizontally from the front, you might be OK. But there is no telling how a branch or a rock could get in there. I would hate be sitting in the woods with a hole in the radiator. The radiator guards was the first thing I put on the bike.
If I rode my bike in anything tighter than a jeep trail, I'd definitely get the guards. I won't tell anyone not to do it that's for sure. I'll even think it over more myself. For me though, I don't really think I need them.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1882
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 46
Alright, my trilogy:
Wednesday - I went to Jackson TN (1.5 hrs away, 45F) to buy a new phone off of guy from Craigslist. I got there and he didn't show up. He said he'd show up later, and trying to believe that not all people from Craigslist are horrible human beings, I hung out at the Harley dealership for awhile, chugged coffee and bought a CrampBuster. I'm still trying to get that to stay on right.

On the way back I ran over a groundhog and stopped at the Finger Store for chips. They didn't sell fingers. Bummer.

Thursday - Memphis TN (2.5 hrs, 38F, raining). For future reference to others: If your BMW dealer asks you to drive three hours in the cold and wet for an oil change, never speak to them again. Were they not supposed to do a valve check? They didn't. It was just an oil swap and a check up. With the right tools the valve check doesn't seem that intimidating. i think I'm just going to buy a torque wrench & the repair manual dvd and do all the future work myself.
I had a long conversation with one of the mechanics while I was waiting, about who makes these motors. I've heard a thousand different stories about this including a guy from the horizons unlimited forum that said all but the first batch have Kymco engines. He was certain that because of the way the motor was set up that it was a Rotax. I've decided to go with that opinion and stop concerning myself with it.
I also sat on the standard R1200GS and liked the feel/weight of it. Depending on how I end up using the Sertao I might look into one of those a few years up the road.

Friday - Corinth MS (45 min, 68F). The rain stopped!
I rode there, ate food, bought stuff, came home and built this:

I carry a camera anyway so I just fabricated another quick release thingy & glued it to a laptop pad.
Dual purpose camping table, a little shaky but it works.

I also bought and mounted these to the wolfman racks:

Forty-dollar panniers mounted with wing nuts and carriage bolts.
That thing on the seat is a memory foam pillow strapped on with a bungee cord, my temporary solution.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #1883
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poznos View Post
Alright, my trilogy:
Wednesday - I went to Jackson TN (1.5 hrs away, 45F) to buy a new phone off of guy from Craigslist. I got there and he didn't show up. He said he'd show up later, and trying to believe that not all people from Craigslist are horrible human beings, I hung out at the Harley dealership for awhile, chugged coffee and bought a CrampBuster. I'm still trying to get that to stay on right.

On the way back I ran over a groundhog and stopped at the Finger Store for chips. They didn't sell fingers. Bummer.

Thursday - Memphis TN (2.5 hrs, 38F, raining). For future reference to others: If your BMW dealer asks you to drive three hours in the cold and wet for an oil change, never speak to them again. Were they not supposed to do a valve check? They didn't. It was just an oil swap and a check up. With the right tools the valve check doesn't seem that intimidating. i think I'm just going to buy a torque wrench & the repair manual dvd and do all the future work myself.
I had a long conversation with one of the mechanics while I was waiting, about who makes these motors. I've heard a thousand different stories about this including a guy from the horizons unlimited forum that said all but the first batch have Kymco engines. He was certain that because of the way the motor was set up that it was a Rotax. I've decided to go with that opinion and stop concerning myself with it.
I also sat on the standard R1200GS and liked the feel/weight of it. Depending on how I end up using the Sertao I might look into one of those a few years up the road.

Friday - Corinth MS (45 min, 68F). The rain stopped!
I rode there, ate food, bought stuff, came home and built this:

I carry a camera anyway so I just fabricated another quick release thingy & glued it to a laptop pad.
Dual purpose camping table, a little shaky but it works.

I also bought and mounted these to the wolfman racks:

Forty-dollar panniers mounted with wing nuts and carriage bolts.
That thing on the seat is a memory foam pillow strapped on with a bungee cord, my temporary solution.

Sweet!
Definitely a rotax from Austria
Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #1884
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Thanks Windowto, and Bronson1, so my mechanical ineptness is really showing now and I hate to admit, but even with your guidance and a flashlight, I still couldn't find the engine number on my bike. Do I need to remove any of the bodywork to find it?
I'm just going to assume since my bike was manufactured in 02/12, it needs the "silent recall", and will advise my service associate when I take her in for the 600 mile. I thought I'd wait til the 6k service but I honestly have no idea how many miles I'm gonna put on her prior to end of 2013, so I don't want to chance it. 600 mile service it will be! ;-)
Hi DeserDav, I also took a while before I could find the stupid number, hope this picture helps:

mramosc screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 04:19 AM
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #1885
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
I bought some last week but haven't installed them yet.. Im debating it only cause I'm going on a long gravel road trip.
What did you get?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #1886
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Hi DeserDav, I also took a while before I could find the stupid number, hope this picture helps:

Couple observations;

Your bike is too clean

Why does BMW make a new "Dakar" and package it as a street bike?!
Look at those pegs, eh?! And the position of the shifter!
Tires?!!!!
WTF?!!!
But I can't leave anything alone, so I changed the obvious anyway.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #1887
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Couple observations;

Why does BMW make a new "Dakar" and package it as a street bike?!
Look at those pegs, eh?! And the position of the shifter!
Tires?!!!!
WTF?!!!
But I can't leave anything alone, so I changed the obvious anyway.
Conspiracy with Touratech(?) Kickback
Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #1888
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Conspiracy with Touratech(?) Kickback
Hmmm

And I'm sure it has a price point element to it all. It is the most expensive 650adv bike in the U.S. by quite a bit. I'm sure it scares many away right off the bat. Price it any higher and bmw would shake off a few more customers. Not me. BMW for me all the way.
Getting back to the importance of finding a good dealer; Getting a better deal by a few hundred bucks isn't worth it. Service and dealer support make the deal for me. Max BMW in Troy, NY is great. Tim and Tony in service, Gregg in parts and Steve in sales. Yup, even the salesman is cool
I would have paid full MSRP to buy a bike from those guys.
I'm gonna run my sertao into the f@#*% ground!

Price; Sure I'd love a pair of real forks with technology not dating back to the 70's, but imagine the price? Maybe I'd pay it though. But again, for me, the bike serves it's purpose.... Dirt roads and back slab, mostly at a moderate pace. If the dirt road becomes a jeep trail, fine. My skill can handle it, and the bike can too, at an easy pace. The progressive springs did a huge thing imop, and that is good enough for me. Next year I am definitely throwing in the Ohlins shock. Washboard and hack on the dirt roads really upsets the back of the bike. Gregg says the asphalt bumpies will get better too.
And when Nuetech releases their DOT approved tubliss at the end of the year I'm all over it!

kdennan screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 04:34 AM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #1889
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
I'm gonna run my sertao into the f@#*% ground!
Now THAT'S more like it....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #1890
Poznos
Idiot with a Wrench

Oddometer: 46
Pickwick Dam & Shiloh National Park

This threads been moving too slow, I got bored.

Anyway, kdennan, Twisted throttle sells 20mm handlebar risers and claims that you don't need an extended brake line for them so they're a good bit cheaper. would I regret not paying for the extra 14mm? I'm 5'11".