User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1981
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Talking

Fellas' it was the gasket. It was torn on one side. I replaced it today in San Jose Costa Rica . Cant believe they had one in stock! Awesomeness. Onward . Window thanks for all the pics man. I have lots of pics of the repair will post in ride report. Bike is running perfect I saw 2 other people this morning at the Nicaragua Costa Rica border they were from Scotland both on 'Tao s more later

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #1982
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Me too... craziness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
PS. I'm pretty much farkled out. I tallyed up what ive spend on the farkles and other gear and its pushing the price of the bike!

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #1983
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Fellas' it was the gasket. It was torn on one side. I replaced it today in San Jose Costa Rica . Cant believe they had one in stock! Awesomeness. Onward . Window thanks for all the pics man. I have lots of pics of the repair will post in ride report. Bike is running perfect I saw 2 other people this morning at the Nicaragua Costa Rica border they were from Scotland both on 'Tao s more later
Swamp,

Glad it worked out!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #1984
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Great!
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1985
cvorwald
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
With the headlight, I think you will have to hunt it for yourself, but you can start looking right behind the light itself, or on the left handlebar switch.

As for the switched power source, I connected my top-box (running/brake/ turn signal) lights under the seat to the wires that go to the tail-light assembly. There is a cannon plug on the right front side under the seat. That's where I tapped in.

I also connected a USB outlet on the handlebars. I tapped that of off the Heated grips switch. If I remember correctly, it was the green wire. But don't take my word for it, check it with a voltmeter. There are exposed contacts at the back of the switch, so you can access it easily after removing the side fairing.

Good luck
What color are the wires running to the tail light assy? I need to tap similarly, but I can't find a schematic.

Thanks!!
cvorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #1986
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvorwald View Post
What color are the wires running to the tail light assy? I need to tap similarly, but I can't find a schematic.

Thanks!!
It's been a while since I installed my top box with the lights, but what I did was to look at the tail assembly. You can see the wires there before they go into the light socket. You can follow the harness from there forward along the upper right hand frame member. There is a connector under the front of the seat on the right side. This is the connector that connects the wiring harness from the tail to the rest of the bike. You can see the wire colors there as well. This is a good place to tap into the tail harness. Don't forget to check the blinker wires for their respective colors. So, If I remember correctly, you will have 5 wires in that harness (two blinkers, brake light, running light, and ground wire).

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #1987
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
maple is maple syrup???

How does THAT help?
Haa! Lubrication in the form of a piece of rock maple firewood

If you remove the baffle the pipe will get louder, but you will not notice any power gains
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #1988
Fatz
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New Sertao Owner

Hello All,

I just put a deposit down on a new Sertao, it will be my first "adventure" bike. I plan to ride mostly on gravel roads, and fire trails but I'm sure it will see some highway time as well. After much deliberation I decided to go with the it over the TR 650 Terra (the warranty, roadside asst., and abs won me over). I've been lurking around the forum for a few days and have read about the hot start problem, I'm hoping they have resolved this in the 13 model year.

I'm sure I'll have ?'s for you all as this is my first BMW and first non carb'd, water cooled bike. I am looking into a set of luggage racks (any opinions welcome) for added bike protection/mounting some plastic ammo cans to.

Thanks
Fatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #1989
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Some A-hole kid at work knocked over my bike. Broke off my mirror and scratched everything that sticks out on the left side of the bike, including my brand new saddle bags (two days old on the bike.)

So now I wait for the Navy to decide to reimburse me for the damages.
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #1990
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMFC View Post
Some A-hole kid at work knocked over my bike. Broke off my mirror and scratched everything that sticks out on the left side of the bike, including my brand new saddle bags (two days old on the bike.)

So now I wait for the Navy to decide to reimburse me for the damages.
I let my buddy ride my 640A and he crashed it! Really f-d it up. I feel your pain, bro.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #1991
cvorwald
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
It's been a while since I installed my top box with the lights, but what I did was to look at the tail assembly. You can see the wires there before they go into the light socket. You can follow the harness from there forward along the upper right hand frame member. There is a connector under the front of the seat on the right side. This is the connector that connects the wiring harness from the tail to the rest of the bike. You can see the wire colors there as well. This is a good place to tap into the tail harness. Don't forget to check the blinker wires for their respective colors. So, If I remember correctly, you will have 5 wires in that harness (two blinkers, brake light, running light, and ground wire).

Good luck.
OK at the taillight there is a brown (ground) and there are two other wires (excluding the turn signals). There is a white/black that reads 12V when keyed on and there is a yellow/red that reads about 6V when keyed on. I will assume I want the white/black. From the taillight, the bundle runs forward on the left side of the bike, and then transits over to the right side to the plug you mentioned. Thanks for your help!!
cvorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #1992
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
Can anyone tell me if the "Sertao" on the tanks is a decal/wrap or actual paint?? Thanks.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #1993
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Can anyone tell me if the "Sertao" on the tanks is a decal/wrap or actual paint?? Thanks.
Decals my friend, take your time peeling it off w/ heated blow gun and you'll be fine. I couldn't take the dumb name Sertao.. It's a Dakar to me all the way... so I rebadged it..

take a look:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1970
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #1994
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Decals my friend, take your time peeling it off w/ heated blow gun and you'll be fine. I couldn't take the dumb name Sertao.. It's a Dakar to me all the way... so I rebadged it..

take a look:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1970

Awsome! Thanks.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #1995
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvorwald View Post
OK at the taillight there is a brown (ground) and there are two other wires (excluding the turn signals). There is a white/black that reads 12V when keyed on and there is a yellow/red that reads about 6V when keyed on. I will assume I want the white/black. From the taillight, the bundle runs forward on the left side of the bike, and then transits over to the right side to the plug you mentioned. Thanks for your help!!
Yes, good work. You are correct, it does run along the left (not right) side of the frame and then crosses over to the right. I ran my top-box harness along the right side (this is what threw me off, when I was responding to you initially), but the original runs along the left with the crossover to the right.

Good catch! Good luck with the project.