Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #2011
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I test rode the Sertao today. I don't think it's a good replacement for the pig, but it might make an interesting addition.
The weight is up high but the bike still feels nimble. Seat height is higher than my GSA (I have a Sargent low seat), but I'm still on the fence.

Anyone care to comment on leftover 2012 prices?
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2012
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,372
Well, got mine! Put about 50 miles on it already. Insufficient cold weather gear prevent more haha. I need to fix that soon.

It's fun as hell though! Can't wait till i finish the break-in procedure so i can run through the gears some.

I picked up some PivetPegs from the dealer since i already knew i wouldn't like the skinny stock ones. Bike also came with heated grips and handguards.

Aside from the pegs, whenever i get to them, next mod will hopefully be an adjustable gear lever. It's a little awkward (short) for me the way it is now.

DomEOD screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 04:50 PM
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #2013
DomEOD
'murica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATERTIMEDAN View Post
I test rode the Sertao today. I don't think it's a good replacement for the pig, but it might make an interesting addition.
The weight is up high but the bike still feels nimble. Seat height is higher than my GSA (I have a Sargent low seat), but I'm still on the fence.

Anyone care to comment on leftover 2012 prices?

I just got mine for $400 off for it being a '12 and not a '13 and another $250 off for military on my '12. After all was said and done it was less than 10k.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #2014
DomEOD
'murica

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Your answer is right here, in this bulletin: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go.

Hope it helps

Thanks! Glad i saw this before i reached the dealer.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #2015
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Well, got mine! Put about 50 miles on it already. Insufficient cold weather gear prevent more haha. I need to fix that soon.

It's fun as hell though! Can't wait till i finish the break-in procedure so i can run through the gears some.

I picked up some PivetPegs from the dealer since i already knew i wouldn't like the skinny stock ones. Bike also came with heated grips and handguards.

Aside from the pegs, whenever i get to them, next mod will hopefully be an adjustable gear lever. It's a little awkward (short) for me the way it is now.

Congratulations on a great looking bike.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #2016
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Steering Damper

Hey
If anyone is looking for a damper for the G650GS its seems like Rally Moto is making one. I am really wanting to get one for my 650GS and wanted to get some thoughts or feed back as to whether or not any one has used the RM2 on the 650GS single?

Pros cons?

Thanks

Oh and here is a link to that guy who's trying to get a deal on em for us inmates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877493

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #2017
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Hey
If anyone is looking for a damper for the G650GS its seems like Rally Moto is making one. I am really wanting to get one for my 650GS and wanted to get some thoughts or feed back as to whether or not any one has used the RM2 on the 650GS single?

Pros cons?

Thanks

Oh and here is a link to that guy who's trying to get a deal on em for us inmates.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877493
I am interested. However, how do we know it's not a scam? Are we paying directly to RalleMoto, or to this guy? Also, the RM2 is advertized for the Dakar, not the Sertao. Ozi fit one on his bike, but he had to do some grinding. Are you saying they (RalleMoto) have adapted the RM2 to the Sertao?

And thank you for importing this information to this thread.

windowto screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:59 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #2018
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Your answer is right here, in this bulletin: http://www.gravesurrounds.com/bike/hotstart.pdf

Basically, your engine number should be 61712400 or greater. If your engine number is less than the above, insist on the bulletin to be complied with before taking delivery. If the number is 61712400 or later, you are good to go.

Hope it helps
Dumb question, but where can I see the engine number on the sertao, didn't see it in the obvious places.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #2019
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Good point, Yes you do pay directly to rally moto. BigBadandUgly will give you the info. He is a fellow inmate. He took the time to contact RM on his own trying to get a deal. He did the same thing with Wolfman bags last winter and he saved me a few $ cause 4 of us bought a set of bags.

My understanding is that they (RM) do have a 650GS single model... I posted wondering if anyone has tried the rally moto on the G650GS and Sertao which would be pretty much the same... I've contacted RM yesterday and am awaiting a response.

I hope it fits cause its a good deal.

Quote:
I am interested. However, how do we know it's not a scam? Are we paying directly to RalleMoto, or to this guy? Also, the RM2 is advertized for the Dakar, not the Sertao. Ozi fit one on his bike, but he had to do some grinding. Are you saying they (RalleMoto) have adapted the RM2 to the Sertao?

And thank you for importing this information to this thread.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #2020
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATERTIMEDAN View Post
Hello all,
I'm Dan from Kansas City.

I'm considering buying a sertao. I've been riding a GSA for the last couple of years and I want a smaller bike to run the Colorado section of the TAT.

I know the Sertao is still a bit big for that section, but I don't want to trailer the bike to Co. so I'll need something with a little comfort to get me across Kansas, and if it gets too bad, I can always go around that section.

My questions for you are:

Will I be miserable after leaving the comfort of the R1200GSA (I'm only 5'6" tall)?
What should I expect to pay for the leftover 12 that my dealer has?
Any must-have farkles I need right away? (Other than bags, and engine guards)?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Dan
I don't have intimate knowledge of the Sertao, but I have with the Dakar and I assume they're pretty much teh same if you remove the plastic.

You don't have to make any mods at all, just adapt the angle of attack to the bike you're riding (you will need proper tires, but I son't consider that a modification)
That said, If you're basically just looking for a bike to ride the TAT on I'd look for a used Dakar instead. There are a few in the Flea Market section and you can sell it after the TAT and perhaps not lose anything on it, or keep it once you've properly tried it out

$4000 with a few farkles http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=F650gs
$? Sold, pending payment. Fully converted with motorcross forks etc http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=F650gs

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #2021
cvorwald
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Yes, good work. You are correct, it does run along the left (not right) side of the frame and then crosses over to the right. I ran my top-box harness along the right side (this is what threw me off, when I was responding to you initially), but the original runs along the left with the crossover to the right.

Good catch! Good luck with the project.

Finally got some time to work on this!!
I had purchased the install kit with the Fuzeblock, and it included a blue positap for tapping into switched power. However, the wire I need (white/black) looks like angel-hair pasta!! I doubt ANY Positap would work with it, but defer to your expertise. If you didn't use a Positap, how did you do the surgery?
cvorwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2022
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvorwald View Post
Finally got some time to work on this!!
I had purchased the install kit with the Fuzeblock, and it included a blue positap for tapping into switched power. However, the wire I need (white/black) looks like angel-hair pasta!! I doubt ANY Positap would work with it, but defer to your expertise. If you didn't use a Positap, how did you do the surgery?
I don't remember what you are installing so I don't know which positaps came with your kit. However, the ones that came with mine (Givi top case LED lights) were perfect for the job. I remember being hesitant at first due to how tiny the wires are. But after tapping into a test wire (not on the bike), I had more confidence in the positap. If you have one that is compatible with the diameter of the wire, you will have no problems. It is important that it cradles the wire and holds it firm. The penetration is just a needle.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #2023
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I don't have intimate knowledge of the Sertao, but I have with the Dakar and I assume they're pretty much teh same if you remove the plastic.

You don't have to make any mods at all, just adapt the angle of attack to the bike you're riding (you will need proper tires, but I son't consider that a modification)
That said, If you're basically just looking for a bike to ride the TAT on I'd look for a used Dakar instead. There are a few in the Flea Market section and you can sell it after the TAT and perhaps not lose anything on it, or keep it once you've properly tried it out

$4000 with a few farkles http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=F650gs
$? Sold, pending payment. Fully converted with motorcross forks etc http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=F650gs
Thanks for the links and opinion.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #2024
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Finally got around to putting my GPS and handlebar mounted Powerlet plug on an ignition controlled circuit. Had a bit of a brain fart, and at one point, had it all hooked up to the brake light circuit. Didn't seem the most useful to have the GPS charging only when the brakes were on, so I redid it properly.

Followed Window's advice - thanks mate - and followed the tail light back to the control box on the right hand side, right by the fuse box. Tapped into it there, and mapped the colored wires:

Green = brake (dont use this one)
Brown = ground?
2 dark blue ones = indicators (dont use these either!)
Light blue with black stripes = tail light (use this sucker).

Now, works like a charm, skinny wires or not.

Thanks
NY-Lon

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #2025
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Im in Panama now . Bike ran flawlessly through Mexico and central America except for the tank gasket needing to be replaced .

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote