Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #2026
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Im in Panama now . Bike ran flawlessly through Mexico and central America except for the tank gasket needing to be replaced .
Swamp, that's awesome! I've been following your progress. Is this the end of the trip? I've been watching many of your videos, it seems that for what you usually do, you need a much lighter bike. Was the Tao good for your current mission? Would be a real pig for your other adventures posted on Youtube.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip!
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #2027
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Dumb question, but where can I see the engine number on the sertao, didn't see it in the obvious places.
Haven't looked for it myself, but I understand from someone who did, that is is somewhere under where the shifter shaft comes out of the engine block.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #2028
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Window , this bike is perfect for this mission. A smaller bike would have been torture. For now this is the end of the journey. Im placing the bike in a storage facility tomorrow until I can find the time to continue. If anyone is interested in the logistical side of this ride feel free to contact me. Im trying to be back in Alabama by the 26th. Im worn out mentally from this one, but I can help. Ill be doing a detailed ride report on my site.

Again thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #2029
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Swamp - link to some vids??? Want to see

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #2030
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Haven't looked for it myself, but I understand from someone who did, that is is somewhere under where the shifter shaft comes out of the engine block.
Thanks, found it stamped just under shifter! Mine is 6431**** which is later than the ones with issues which may explain 13,000 problem free kms on my 2012
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #2031
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,370
Is the stock seat waterproof??
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #2032
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Window , this bike is perfect for this mission. A smaller bike would have been torture. For now this is the end of the journey. Im placing the bike in a storage facility tomorrow until I can find the time to continue. If anyone is interested in the logistical side of this ride feel free to contact me. Im trying to be back in Alabama by the 26th. Im worn out mentally from this one, but I can help. Ill be doing a detailed ride report on my site.

Again thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Swamp, your a badass! Been following you as well, really looking forward for a ride report. Anything you need to help along your travel don't hesistate to ask we familia...

Soon, not sure of departure. But I'll be doing a NYC to Chile.. Al fin...
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #2033
nylon2000
Wanderer

Alskee - when are you doing your big ride???

The expedition
About the bike
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #2034
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Alskee - when are you doing your big ride???
Nylon.. Since I need time, which is hard to come by w/ work and family. I want to give myself at least 2 months or more for the trip. It's a work in progress, but I am doing the TAT this year. I'm looking at it as a stepping stone to what I need for the real big trip... Seeya this weekend... stoked..
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #2035
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Swamp - link to some vids??? Want to see
I haven't uploaded any from this ride yet. But ive got maybe an hour of footage which includes border crossings face to face jibbering that ill start uploading when i get home net connection bad here only have phone ill post link here when done alskee thanks be sure I may take you up on offer when time comes to return for chapter two probably in February. Yes seat is water proof .. ;)

Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #2036
nylon2000
Wanderer

Where's the spark plug? There's a thing that looks like a spark on the right hand side above the engine - covered in black rubber with a lead coming out of it, but I bet thats a sensor. Also, for some reason I thought the bike had 2 sparks!

thanks

PS. Swamp - i did click your link and watched some old vids.

The expedition
About the bike
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #2037
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Low fender/ Front springs

Kdennan,

Now that you had a while with you mods, does the low front fender keep water/mud away from your boots? Seems that it is cut pretty high in the back of the wheel, so I am wondering.

Also, I know your progressive springs reduce the nose dive during braking, but how is the ride on the road, or light off road? Is it much stiffer? I am talking about comfort here, was much of it sacrificed for the sporty handling?

Thank you
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #2038
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Where's the spark plug? There's a thing that looks like a spark on the right hand side above the engine - covered in black rubber with a lead coming out of it, but I bet thats a sensor. Also, for some reason I thought the bike had 2 sparks!

thanks

PS. Swamp - i did click your link and watched some old vids.
you have to remove the air box to get to it, if i remember right. maybe just the "snorkel" thingy. look up in there with a flash light. you will see where it is.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #2039
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Kdennan,

Now that you had a while with you mods, does the low front fender keep water/mud away from your boots? Seems that it is cut pretty high in the back of the wheel, so I am wondering.

Also, I know your progressive springs reduce the nose dive during braking, but how is the ride on the road, or light off road? Is it much stiffer? I am talking about comfort here, was much of it sacrificed for the sporty handling?

Thank you
You guys are going to kill me. I haven't been riding at all since my 100 mile breakfast ride:( I manage an estate and that is slow right now but I took on a little side job running a cool little bicycle shop nearby, so I have been busy building bikes and getting the spring orders in. I haven't even been pedalling
I did feel on that ride however, that the ride didn't feel any stiffer other than the resistance to diving. Progressive springs are supposed to feel like stock initially and that is about what I have experienced so far.
I had the fender on since last year. I only rode it a few times without it at first and it does help a little in keeping some of the shit off the boots. Better but not completely. I'll take it. The big(er) difference for me is the reduced amount of spray that comes up in front that used to really plaster the headlight. Much better now. And since I don't bushwhack I don't have radiator guards so the fender keeps stones from spitting up into the front of the bike.

But if I don't ride this poor bike this summer I think I might sell it. I hate keeping things like this that I don't use. It's not fair to the bike. Between my young family, riding my bicycles and working (a little:) I don't see how I'm going to get any time on it. And I just spent all that money
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #2040
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
But if I don't ride this poor bike this summer I think I might sell it. I hate keeping things like this that I don't use.
I'd keep it and putter about on it when the opportunities present themselves. It's far better to have a bike when you can't use it than to not have a bike when you can. IMO and all, but I've been flying public transport here in Tokyo for the last couple of decades. Not having a bike blows.

Keep her.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote