VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
yes,
I PMed him. someone bored much? ! lol fielding "what watch is that" questions
Yep, my work here is done

I like watches, my grandfather and great grandfather were watch makers, I looked into it, but my grandfather said look for something better to do
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #2072
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
well,
after mounting 4 tires with it... and changing two flats. id say it worked pretty damn good! it gets really hot. not sure why people are bitching about the switch though. they probably jammed it in the bottom of a giant aluminum box and put their computer and printer and bowling ball on top of it... then hit a speed bump in the walmart parking lot

one thing i was kind of like "eww thats not cool" is where the two wires mount to the motor. they are exposed and could very easily be torn away or damaged. not sure what can be done about it... how about you figure out something that will protect it then let the rest of us know

hope this helps!

oh,
here is a link to the mexistan and central bunghole ride report i just started
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881714
I'll try to figure it out, once I get it, thank you. Oh, and I'll try not to put my printer on top of it . Did you run the engine while pumping, or just of the battery?

And thanks for the link. Great read! You should have sponsors, but... I know, I know... Then you would have to do it their way. You rock. Haven't met many like you
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #2073
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,786
yes, i ran the motor while using the pump because i was afraid of draining the battery. .. just make sure it is in neutral so your chain doesnt go flying !

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #2074
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
Yep, my work here is done

I like watches, my grandfather and great grandfather were watch makers, I looked into it, but my grandfather said look for something better to do
i hear ya,
they are interesting gadgets, and casio makes some cool stuff.
it will be really cool when they add GPS to it.. I saw that Garmin is making a GPS watch now. but the battery doesnt last very long.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #2075
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
i hear ya,
they are interesting gadgets, and casio makes some cool stuff.
it will be really cool when they add GPS to it.. I saw that Garmin is making a GPS watch now. but the battery doesnt last very long.
I have a Garmin 410 forerunner for running, it works well, but it doesn't have a display to backtrack and yes the battery only lasts a few hours, depending on what it is reading.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #2076
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I will be heading out on my first camping trip with the Sertao at the end of the month into the San Rafael Swell, in southern UT, I was curious about a basic tool setup other than the factory tools in the little bag, I also have front and rear tubes, patch kit, tire irons, is there any other suggested tools? I will be with a group of Land Cruisers, so it may not really be necessary, However it would be nice to have a reference.
Thanks!
You should know that the tools under the seat do not include the right tools to take the front wheel off. Well mine didn't anyway went to change a flat and had to buy one
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #2077
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
You should know that the tools under the seat do not include the right tools to take the front wheel off. Well mine didn't anyway went to change a flat and had to buy one
just go ahead and put some JB Weld (stick) in your bag.
you are going to crash that thing there for sure

also, carry some vice grips (i carry the medium size ones)

carry a Leatherman multi tool and some safety wire.

... that should pretty well cover it. that stock tool kit is one of the best tool kits that i've ever seen come with a bike. the screw driver alone has like 6 different tools built into it.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #2078
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Great! Thanks, I will look into the wrench for the front wheel as well as some small vice grips, I usually carry a leatherman, but I will make sure it's packed.
I need to pick up some go pro mounts and I can't seem to locate my danged tent, I guess I get to shop for one of those as well.
Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #2079
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Tools: I got em! I picked up this guy: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cruztools-rtb1-bmw-tool-kit, and and stash it in the tool tube that i put where my old 2nd exhaust used to be. Fits that, a leatherman, and a couple of tire irons. All the metal stays down low.

VitSports - I got one of those watches after Swamp wrote to me, unfortunately the instructions are about 2,000 pages long, so I'm still figuring out how to use it.

Homme de fer - I put a small ram mount for a GoPro on my headlight cover (touratech add on). It was the least vibratey position I could find. Its better on my helmet though.

Aerostitch pump - much faster to inflate a tire than my Slime pump, I wish I had it. Seems like a solid pump for the money, and cheaper than the $100 Cycle Pump

Headed down to the Pine Barrens for the 2 day Adventure Camp training course. Alskee will be there too. Maybe some other FFs.

NY

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #2080
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
One more thing:

Keep hearing about how the high seat is gods gift...

How much taller does it make the bike? I'm 5'10" / 31" inseam, and with some luggage squishing it down can flat foot it with both feet. Can i get away with it?

I have 10,000km of a mix of slab and dirt coming up, and want my ass to survive

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #2081
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I'd say you can get away with it. I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam and it's not exactly easy to swing my leg over, but it's not that bad. I really didn't notice much of a difference when I installed it but my rear K60 was almost bald... The new rubber put it up where it should be and I do notice the difference when I'm getting on/off. That said, I've really enjoyed the new seat. It's more comfortable and it also allows me to stretch out a bit more on the bike.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #2082
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

that was one thing i wanted to bring up:
the stock seat.

i was doing 10-13hr days in mexico and central america on that stock seat and i actually started to appreciate "the cup" as it allows ass-squish variations. sure , around hour 11 anything is going to start to bother the ass. . but i really didnt mind the stock one.

just FYI, im sure everyone will disagree with me.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #2083
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
the stock seat.

i was doing 10-13hr days in mexico and central america on that stock seat and i actually started to appreciate "the cup" as it allows ass-squish variations. sure , around hour 11 anything is going to start to bother the ass. . but i really didnt mind the stock one.

Just my personal experience, but I hated it! I wanted a more dual sport flat like the Renzaco but of course everything comes w/ a price . The cup would push me forward and my privates would be squished. Then on the long haul if you wanted to move around and push further back it was a no no the cup did not allow you.

Just my 2cents....
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #2084
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
the stock seat.

I agree with you, I have no issue with the stock seat
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #2085
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Tools: I got em! I picked up this guy: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cruztools-rtb1-bmw-tool-kit, and and stash it in the tool tube that i put where my old 2nd exhaust used to be. Fits that, a leatherman, and a couple of tire irons. All the metal stays down low.

VitSports - I got one of those watches after Swamp wrote to me, unfortunately the instructions are about 2,000 pages long, so I'm still figuring out how to use it.

Homme de fer - I put a small ram mount for a GoPro on my headlight cover (touratech add on). It was the least vibratey position I could find. Its better on my helmet though.

Aerostitch pump - much faster to inflate a tire than my Slime pump, I wish I had it. Seems like a solid pump for the money, and cheaper than the $100 Cycle Pump

Headed down to the Pine Barrens for the 2 day Adventure Camp training course. Alskee will be there too. Maybe some other FFs.

NY
That's a good lookin tool kit! I might have to consider that, but it's a little late for this trip.

I agree on the booklet for the watches, lots to read.