User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #2086
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Centerstand needed for oil change?

Is is possible to easily change the oil/filter with just the side stand? I will probably break down and buy one eventually, but was hoping to do the break-in service myself in the near future without having to buy an expensive accessory. I have a bike/ATV lift, but I am not sure supporting the bike completely on the skid plate is a good idea, not to mention difficult to drain oil. From the sounds of it, I think the oil change process might be the major flaw with this bike...

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #2087
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Boa tarde! I use the stock Sertão seat on more tecnical off road rides because my inseam is only 30"s and when I need a foot on the ground I really want to connect. I use the tall seat for long highway runs with off-road sections. The factory tall seat is Much cushier than the stock. It is also a bit of a bargain at $225. I use the tall seat and an Airhawk for Iron Butt runs. Best overall adventure set up is stock seat with the Airhawk option. I use the airhawk to fill in the cradle and keep my gear safe. Thats my 2 cents after 58,000 miles. Waiting on another fan motor in Belém, Brasil gateway to the Sertão

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2088
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Afternoon all!

Am deep into planning my big trip (RTW: US, Asia, and maybe Africa). I checked the BMW dealers and I'm relatively well covered every 6k miles, more or less, which is the service / inspection interval.

In terms of consumables (chain, brakes, sprockets etc), are there guidelines as to how long each is likely to last? Tires I know, but the other items?

I'll be at 9k miles in Vancouver, and then close to 24k by the time I roll into Europe, just in time for a major inspection.

Is it reasonable to assume that the factory chain, sprockets and brakes will last til 24k, or is it prudent to change those, early, before I leave the US?

I checked the F650 service manual, but they don't give mileage guides to these parts, only wear measurements.

For reference I'll be at 4k offroad and 5k inroad by the time I get to Vancouver.

Thanks guys

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #2089
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Afternoon all!

Am deep into planning my big trip (RTW: US, Asia, and maybe Africa). I checked the BMW dealers and I'm relatively well covered every 6k miles, more or less, which is the service / inspection interval.

In terms of consumables (chain, brakes, sprockets etc), are there guidelines as to how long each is likely to last? Tires I know, but the other items?

I'll be at 9k miles in Vancouver, and then close to 24k by the time I roll into Europe, just in time for a major inspection.

Is it reasonable to assume that the factory chain, sprockets and brakes will last til 24k, or is it prudent to change those, early, before I leave the US?

I checked the F650 service manual, but they don't give mileage guides to these parts, only wear measurements.

For reference I'll be at 4k offroad and 5k inroad by the time I get to Vancouver.

Thanks guys
At a risk of sounding like an advertizing disclaimer, I'd say your personal mileage will depend on road conditions and your style of riding. I think that, by the time you hit Vancouver, you will have a pretty good idea how things are wearing out for you. If in doubt, you could take the chain and the sprockets with you and change on the go. Shouldn't be too difficult. But you would need a chain with a connecting link (in preparation, you might want to install a connecting link on the OEM chain as well. For removal). Otherwise you have to take your swing arm off. Don't think you want to be doing that.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #2090
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I didn't mind the stock seat on the few occasions I rode for 8+ hours. I do enjoy the extra cushion on the tall seat though, as well as the reduced stress on my knees.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #2091
dr.cornelius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Thinking of buying the Touratech low front fender. Anybody (except Kdennan ) have any experience with it? Does it offer any protection from water spray, or is it just a gimmick? Someone somewhere mentioned that it increased turbulence at highway speeds. Any truth to that?

Thank you
I have the TT low fender on my bike and it has worked great so far. It definitely keeps the radiator more clean and the front forks as well. I didn't notice any change in handling or any increase in turbulence. Boots still get wet but I don't think any fender set up is going to help there!

Cheers, Doc
dr.cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #2092
nylon2000
Wanderer

Thanks Window

The expedition
About the bike
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #2093
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
I swapped my K60s for D606s recently to decide if I wanted to run a set on the WABDR this fall. I'm noticing a small amount of vibration as I begin to initiate a turn. After the first couple degrees of lean it stops, and then it returns as I exit the turn and bring the bike back up. I can't see any wear on the tire or any spot on the bike it might be rubbing. First time with tires this agressive on Serts. Would the tread pattern be responsible for the vibration?

PS I'm a big fan of that rule as well.

Known for the vibes. Great off road though, but wear faster if you push them on the tarmac/rocks. I eventually just went back to my TKC's.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #2094
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Afternoon all!

Thanks guys
My experience:
Oil and filter every 4-5000 miles
Chain and sprockets every 15k depending on cleanliness and lube habits
Fork seals and bushings every 15-25k carry spares
Fan motor around every 12 k expensive and hard to locate
Headlight bulb 10k or sooner carry spare
Battery 10k original is crap reccomend replace at gitgo
Air filter 10k or better
Grip Heater switch 10k or clean
Sidestand switch 10k or clean
Rear pads 25k
Fronts pads 35k
Fork oil change to 10 weight 10k
K60s driven mildly 50/50 frt.12k rr 8k pressure 32/38 loaded
Tk80s driven mildly 50/50 frt. 9k rr 6k pressure 31/36 loaded
fork springs 35k change to progressives
Lube rear suspension 20k and every 10k after
Tailight assembly will fail after about 6k off road replace w trailer light $8

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #2095
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cornelius View Post
I have the TT low fender on my bike and it has worked great so far. It definitely keeps the radiator more clean and the front forks as well. I didn't notice any change in handling or any increase in turbulence. Boots still get wet but I don't think any fender set up is going to help there!

Cheers, Doc
Thank you very much Dr.! Very helpful.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #2096
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Tools: I got em! I picked up this guy: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cruztools-rtb1-bmw-tool-kit, and and stash it in the tool tube that i put where my old 2nd exhaust used to be. Fits that, a leatherman, and a couple of tire irons. All the metal stays down low.

VitSports - I got one of those watches after Swamp wrote to me, unfortunately the instructions are about 2,000 pages long, so I'm still figuring out how to use it.

Homme de fer - I put a small ram mount for a GoPro on my headlight cover (touratech add on). It was the least vibratey position I could find. Its better on my helmet though.

Aerostitch pump - much faster to inflate a tire than my Slime pump, I wish I had it. Seems like a solid pump for the money, and cheaper than the $100 Cycle Pump

Headed down to the Pine Barrens for the 2 day Adventure Camp training course. Alskee will be there too. Maybe some other FFs.

NY

+1 on the Cruz toolkit! Keep the stocker too.
Nylon, show me a pic of how you mounted your tool tube. Ive been waiting for mine from twisted throttle now for almost a month. Should be in next week.
+1 swamp tips. Medium vise grips and leatherman. And more zipties and duct tape. Definitely JB weld. I have the Cycle pump ordered from Max. Since I just got new rubber I kept the stock tubes for my spares. Get a valve core remover and keep it on the front tire as the valve cap. I also have a medium-ish ball-peen hammer, 2 real tire levers and one with the built in rear axle nut wrench on one end. I got it from Touratech (p/n TL-24)
Spare bolts and hose clamps can come in handy
*And get a stuff sack for everything!* Keeps your kit tight
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #2097
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Thinking of buying the Touratech low front fender. Anybody (except Kdennan ) have any experience with it? Does it offer any protection from water spray, or is it just a gimmick? Someone somewhere mentioned that it increased turbulence at highway speeds. Any truth to that?

Thank you
kd can't help but chime in
what a peckerhead

It's an ADV bike. I think a little dirt is ok, no?
but seriously, when I have my jeans and hiking boots on for the commute up to work I don't want to get wet either. It is better now with the fender but not perfect. I'm going to cut nice a piece of good heavy mud-flap material and rivet to the back, tail end of the fender and give it a shot. I might start out with a 4" long flapper and see what happens. I'll just go to NAPA and buy a whole truck mudflap so I can experiment. It can't look you-know-what
When I find the right one I'll post the pic
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #2098
nylon2000
Wanderer

Pasomonte - Awesome, just what I was looking for. Thanks.

I've been following your comments since you were doing the CD ride last year. That was probably 30,000 miles ago. Where are you now?

Also, where did you get the trailer tail light? Mine already fell off once.

~~~~~~~

KD - I dont have my bike here, so can't take a picture, but, basically (lifting this image from Wolfman):

I mounted the Tool Tube onto the Wolfman racks (I use their Rocky Mountain bags) on the bottom horizontal bars.

I use the Mega Tool Tube (1.5l), which as they say, fits a tool roll perfectly: http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html

There are 3 attachment points. 2 at the end with the opening, and 1 at the other end. I couldn't get it to fit perfectly, so while the end with the opening is mounted properly, using supplied clamps, the other end uses zip ties.

However, its solid, as the mounting points actually rest on the wolfman luggage bars, and then are just held in place.

Note thats now how most people mount them. Most people mount them onto the vertical bars, not the horizontal ones. I couldnt make that work without it interfering with the Wolfman attachment points for the luggage.

Pretty sure I could have explained all that with a picture!

~~~~~~~~~~

Valve core removers? Rly? I thought just screwing the end caps on was "generally" sufficient to stop valve cores leaking.

The expedition
About the bike
Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #2099
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
kd can't help but chime in
what a peckerhead

It's an ADV bike. I think a little dirt is ok, no?
but seriously, when I have my jeans and hiking boots on for the commute up to work I don't want to get wet either. It is better now with the fender but not perfect. I'm going to cut nice a piece of good heavy mud-flap material and rivet to the back, tail end of the fender and give it a shot. I might start out with a 4" long flapper and see what happens. I'll just go to NAPA and buy a whole truck mudflap so I can experiment. It can't look you-know-what
When I find the right one I'll post the pic
Sounds good! Thanks man . I know it's an ADV bike, but I am really just a weekend warrior at this stage of my life. Ride mostly road and mostly with my wife. Bought this bike because she likes to ride and now I am getting sucked back in, like I used to be back then. The only difference is now I can actually afford it . I always liked dual purpose bikes better than street. Plus I really need the suspension on NJ roads . Really.

When I was young I used to ride my Honda 500XL up hundreds of stairs to visit babes on their big break at school. School was on a side of a big hill. I used to come from the street below and, at the end of the break, I would go upward to the street above. This was back in Israel. A bunch of us used to go on weekends and get lost somewhere in the woods. But I never did anything like what Swamp is doing or what Nylon is planning. I tip my hat to all of you guys.

windowto screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 01:04 PM
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #2100
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,435
Hey all,

How do magnetic tank bags fair on these bikes? Anybody have one?
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote