Nice, maybe they can help swamp loose the duct tape
The "Don't panic" is epic.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #2192
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Ok,
I really laid into the throttle today up the mtn in the fast lane. The pipe has quite a bark then, but I felt a little safer knowing that the cars I passed could hear me coming.
There is a little more power on top, but as I expected, it's no barn-burner. But better is good.
Really fun bike.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #2193
ff654
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Motocross Front Fender?

So, the front fender cracked and broke at the mounting bolts as I've heard from others has happened. I know it's under warranty, and at some point I'll take it in for that. I wondering if anyone knows what motocross fender would fit or could be modified to fit?
ff654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #2194
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff654 View Post
So, the front fender cracked and broke at the mounting bolts as I've heard from others has happened. I know it's under warranty, and at some point I'll take it in for that. I wondering if anyone knows what motocross fender would fit or could be modified to fit?
So I have an older Dakar and wanted to have better mud protection. I was tired of getting mud on the face shield. I removed the stock fender and replaced it with a UFO universal. A little bit of ingenuity and moving of the horn it works great. No more mud or dirty water just a clean face shield. I think it looks great too.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #2195
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Service Manual

Just picked up a new Sertao last night and I'm looking for a service manual. Internet search reveals a DVD for Windows only. Not finding any other options. I do prefer a digital copy and if the DVD is alright can pick that up but paper would be fine as well. I searched this thread but did not find anything. I appreciate your direction and if you have any opinions on what is available.

Thanks!

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #2196
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound View Post
Just picked up a new Sertao last night and I'm looking for a service manual. Internet search reveals a DVD for Windows only. Not finding any other options. I do prefer a digital copy and if the DVD is alright can pick that up but paper would be fine as well. I searched this thread but did not find anything. I appreciate your direction and if you have any opinions on what is available.

Thanks!
I got the DVD. I do recommend it. Covers other G650GS as well. It is about $110 from BMW, and about the same on Amazon. The DVD pays for itself at the first 600 miles service:). I also couldn't find any paper manuals.

Congrats on the Sertao!
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #2197
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnewchevy View Post
So I have an older Dakar and wanted to have better mud protection. I was tired of getting mud on the face shield. I removed the stock fender and replaced it with a UFO universal. A little bit of ingenuity and moving of the horn it works great. No more mud or dirty water just a clean face shield. I think it looks great too.
Pictures?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #2198
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
I got the DVD. I do recommend it. Covers other G650GS as well. It is about $110 from BMW, and about the same on Amazon. The DVD pays for itself at the first 600 miles service:). I also couldn't find any paper manuals.

Congrats on the Sertao!
Thanks. Are you able to rip the info off of the DVD as a pdf? I normally use my Mac with my service manuals and it would be a drawback to be stuck to just my pc. I appreciate the input. If no one else has found a book I'll just have to pick up the DVD. I do all my own service and would be lost without it.

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #2199
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Nice place to be, loaner seat found.

I was able to secure a loaner seat in less than 2 hours from posting my request. The inmate is only 35 minutes drive from me. And people have doubts about internet forums... Even though we don't know each other, I feel like this is a good place to be. Thank you to all that responded, you guys are great!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #2200
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprosound View Post
Thanks. Are you able to rip the info off of the DVD as a pdf? I normally use my Mac with my service manuals and it would be a drawback to be stuck to just my pc. I appreciate the input. If no one else has found a book I'll just have to pick up the DVD. I do all my own service and would be lost without it.
Yes, just tested it. No problem getting a PDF of off the DVD.

Get it, you won't regret it.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #2201
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Aftermarket air filter.

With all the talk about pipes and sound has anyone tried another air filter and did it change the sound a little or not at all. I especially wonder about the k&n and the BlueAir.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #2202
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Spring length

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
www.progressivesuspension.com

P/N 11-1547 Go to "what fits my ride?" and search 2007 BMW F650GS Dakar
Progressive springs are shorter than stock so you have to cut a new spacer. Get schedule 40 PVC and a nickel plated washer from the hardware store. Take your spring in to confirm diameters.
Kdennan,

Could you please get that ruler out of your toolbox and measure the total length of OEM spring AND spacer? I am getting the Hyperpro springs, so it would be nice to know before the wrenching begins. I hear different manufacturers make different lengths springs for the same bike. The rest is taken up by the spacers.

Thank you, appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #2203
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
well,
after mounting 4 tires with it... and changing two flats. id say it worked pretty damn good! it gets really hot. not sure why people are bitching about the switch though. they probably jammed it in the bottom of a giant aluminum box and put their computer and printer and bowling ball on top of it... then hit a speed bump in the walmart parking lot

one thing i was kind of like "eww thats not cool" is where the two wires mount to the motor. they are exposed and could very easily be torn away or damaged. not sure what can be done about it... how about you figure out something that will protect it then let the rest of us know
Got the Aerostitch Compressor. Uhhh,,, The whole wire feels very flimsy. That's a disappointment. I agree, the wires are connected in a poor manner. The only thing I can think of is a bit of epoxy to protect the connections. They are trying to save on weight and cost, but this connection is ridiculous.

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2204
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
With all the talk about pipes and sound has anyone tried another air filter and did it change the sound a little or not at all. I especially wonder about the k&n and the BlueAir.
K&N will give it a bit more growl. I will also clean up the 2000-3500rpm range a bit. (At least the effect it had on mine)
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #2205
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Pictures?
I did the same on the window licker
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is online now   Reply With Quote