Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2251
scottomcgotto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
thanks studio.

-i feel like either the shifting improved over time... or i just got used to it . not sure.
I agree, it just took a little while, mine is at 7000km now and it's pretty smooth.
scottomcgotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #2252
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomcgotto View Post
I agree, it just took a little while, mine is at 7000km now and it's pretty smooth.
Awesome. Thanks guys.
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #2253
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
shifting

Well I've only got 2000 miles on mine but its not smoothed out much at all. I did install a Wonderlich adjustable shifter with the ball-bearing tip and that made a noticeable difference but they are very expensive $159.00. I'm still waiting for it to get better but like someone said it may never be like the bikes I'm use to.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #2254
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Shifting? Lol, mine's a mess from 1-N-2, but the rest is ok.

I've 5,000 miles on mine, and currently have to hold the lever up, while releasing the clutch, as it won't take in second unless i continue to hold it up until the gears engage.

Plus, i can get into neutral without the light showing up about 25% of the time.

Lots of wasted times at stop lights etc, as i "search" for neutral, while staring at the dashboard.

I'll tell BMW at my 6,000 mile service, but i doubt they can do anything productive.

I've just learned to deal with it.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #2255
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
Well I've only got 2000 miles on mine but its not smoothed out much at all. I did install a Wonderlich adjustable shifter with the ball-bearing tip and that made a noticeable difference but they are very expensive $159.00. I'm still waiting for it to get better but like someone said it may never be like the bikes I'm use to.
Bronson,

How do you like that Wonderlich shifter? I was seriously considering it. Looks like it's made really nice. But I am afraid it's too solid and might brake the shaft, in case of a fall.

I wound up buying the TT adjustable shifter, but it is slightly out of position with my TT low pegs. It's a bit high. I will probably elongate the bolt-holes for fine tuning.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #2256
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

I've 5,000 miles on mine, and currently have to hold the lever up, while releasing the clutch, as it won't take in second unless i continue to hold it up until the gears engage.

Plus, i can get into neutral without the light showing up about 25% of the time.

Lots of wasted times at stop lights etc, as i "search" for neutral, while staring at the dashboard.

I'll tell BMW at my 6,000 mile service, but i doubt they can do anything productive.

Lol mine does the neutral thingy too

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #2257
Bronson1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Shifter

I do like the shifter. It is well made and the ball bearing tip really makes a difference in how it shifts as well as protects your boot a little while shifting. The brake snake that comes with it is for the 800 only but I aim to eventually figure out how to make it fit the sertao. The biggest problem with making it work well is the very long shifter throw on the 650. It must be able to move about 2 to 3 inches. I've not measured it but I've never seem a bike with that much travel to shift gears. That causes the cable to be too loose to do much good and still protect the shifter and shaft. BUT the folding tip does look like it will help protect them both in a fall. It is also kind of tucked in behind the skid plate so that will help keep brush from getting behind it. Notice I said should help, not prevent it from happening. Overall I do like it a lot but it was a hard decision on which to buy.....but I'd do it again.
Bronson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #2258
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

I found the shifting really "notchy" up until the 5000km mark. Shifting from 2 through to 5 is fine (not clean like a jap bike bike) but I keep getting hung up in neutral when I go from 1 to 2. It seems worse in cold weather where at least 50% of those shifts end up in neutral. I brought it up with the dealership because it's on the cusp of being a safety issue but they just tell me it must be the way I shift. I've been riding since '85, I know how to shift gears on a bike.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #2259
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
"Must be the way you shift". That pisses me off, it's hardly rocket science. Pull the clutch lever and click the gear lever up all the way.

My dealer says the same thing. Idiots.

That's why I'm going to MAX BMW from now on. They have been nothing but helpful to me.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #2260
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I had the issues with neutral a lot early on but since about 5k miles I've probably only seen it 5-10 times (I'm at 9k now). Not sure if I'm doing something different or I just got lucky...
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #2261
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
I do like the shifter. It is well made and the ball bearing tip really makes a difference in how it shifts as well as protects your boot a little while shifting. The brake snake that comes with it is for the 800 only but I aim to eventually figure out how to make it fit the sertao. The biggest problem with making it work well is the very long shifter throw on the 650. It must be able to move about 2 to 3 inches. I've not measured it but I've never seem a bike with that much travel to shift gears. That causes the cable to be too loose to do much good and still protect the shifter and shaft. BUT the folding tip does look like it will help protect them both in a fall. It is also kind of tucked in behind the skid plate so that will help keep brush from getting behind it. Notice I said should help, not prevent it from happening. Overall I do like it a lot but it was a hard decision on which to buy.....but I'd do it again.

Thank you for that report. It does seem very nice. My biggest concern was that it might be too beefy and would transmit a hit in full force to the shaft. I too really like the idea of the ball bearing tip. This would be my next shifter, if I failed to get the adjustment I wanted from the TT lever...

But I just came back from my bike. I did elongate the bolt holes on the end piece of my TT shifter and it gave me the fine tuning I wanted. I tried shifting while on the center stand and it seems good. Next ride will tell if I got the right position. But now I do have plenty of adjustment available.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #2262
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
tool tube

Twisted Throttle tool tube on Wolfman side racks. Mounted with rubber coated 3/4" clamps (3) with stainless metric hardware

kdennan screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 04:08 PM
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #2263
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Twisted Throttle tool tube on Wolfman side racks. Mounted with rubber coated 3/4" clamps (3) with stainless metric hardware
That looks like the business right there, and the price sure is right. $15?
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #2264
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
That looks like the business right there, and the price sure is right. $15?
I think it was, yes.
I fit the BMW Cruz tool kit right snug inside. I just had to take the electrical tape out of the roll, but there was enough room at the end of the tube to put it right on top before the cap.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #2265
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Seems to me that since I put the Leo Vince on the bike stumbles a bit around 2,500 rpm when I'm just puttering along in 3rd gear. I'll let off the throttle for a moment to coast and when I just whisker the throttle on the bike stumbles a bit until I give it some more. I don't recall it doing this with the stock pipe.