Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #2326
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Couple things that helped me on other bikes that were stuttering and back-firing:

make sure all exhaust bolts and seals are tight, including the header bolts and gaskets

Aftermarket exhausts usually back fire a bit more. A single large giant POP can mean too much fuel, and having it sound like a truck air brake can mean too lean.....
That is right, I noticed some pressure coming out the exhaust bolts even though they were tightened nicely. I just loosened everything up and re-adjusted then re-tighten and checked until I felt nothing coming out. You can if you want spray on some copper gasket sealant to make sure it gets a nice seal as well. I've done it on my Triumph which is not EFI but carb only, that worked. Decel is minimal but normal in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #2327
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Couple things that helped me on other bikes that were stuttering and back-firing:

make sure all exhaust bolts and seals are tight, including the header bolts and gaskets

Make sure all electrical connections are tight, including the battery terminals. With electrical connecters, I spray WD-40 in there and reconnect them.

Make sure your O2 sensor is screwed in tight.

Probably would not hurt to take a look at the air filter and any seals around the throttle body and make sure they all look good.

Aftermarket exhausts usually back fire a bit more. A single large giant POP can mean too much fuel, and having it sound like a truck air brake can mean too lean.....
I am getting one loud bang! I could see the getting too much fuel thing. I know the pipe is tight. I had to bang the living crap out of the mid-pipe to get it on so I don't think it's ever coming off. I'll check the battery cause I did replace the stock junk. The bike did not do this for the first few rides. It just started the other day. I probably put 300+ miles on with no issues. I even thrashed the little bugger in the woods pretty good one day and it was fine. Actually, the problem started after that ride.
Where's the O2 sensor?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #2328
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
That is right, I noticed some pressure coming out the exhaust bolts even though they were tightened nicely. I just loosened everything up and re-adjusted then re-tighten and checked until I felt nothing coming out. You can if you want spray on some copper gasket sealant to make sure it gets a nice seal as well. I've done it on my Triumph which is not EFI but carb only, that worked. Decel is minimal but normal in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

I'll check out the whole system, header and all
Thanks
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #2329
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I am getting one loud bang! I could see the getting too much fuel thing. I know the pipe is tight. I had to bang the living crap out of the mid-pipe to get it on so I don't think it's ever coming off. I'll check the battery cause I did replace the stock junk. The bike did not do this for the first few rides. It just started the other day. I probably put 300+ miles on with no issues. I even thrashed the little bugger in the woods pretty good one day and it was fine. Actually, the problem started after that ride.
Where's the O2 sensor?
The way I understand it, extra fuel vapors build up on deceleration, then ignite in the hot midpipe, giving the pop. I know some people mentioned letting it idle for 15 minutes after starting without touching the throttle to reset the fuel map, but there is no point doing that until you've made sure the system is all sealed up.

I had a WR250 that was really acting up, stalling coughing sputtering etc.. after tightening up everything (including the battery terminals were loose), I had no problems. My guess is EFI bikes are more sensitive to any weak electrical connections, and these thumpers vibrate a bit more to loosen things up.

O2 sensor is sticking out of the header under the bike

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR

Gundy screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 12:13 PM
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #2330
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The way I understand it, extra fuel vapors build up on deceleration, then ignite in the hot midpipe, giving the pop. I know some people mentioned letting it idle for 15 minutes after starting without touching the throttle to reset the fuel map, but there is no point doing that until you've made sure the system is all sealed up.

I had a WR250 that was really acting up, stalling coughing sputtering etc.. after tightening up everything (including the battery terminals were loose), I had no problems. My guess is EFI bikes are more sensitive to any weak electrical connections, and these thumpers vibrate a bit more to loosen things up.

O2 sensor is sticking out of the header under the bike
Ok, That's what I thought that was so I checked it and it's fine. I called Max, CT and talked with Brianna and she confirmed that I need to have the "adaptation values" reset and it's a quick and painless procedure. She called Tony in Troy and I'm going in tomorrow morning. I'm trucking her down so I'll bring my kit and go for a blast as soon as they're finished. Report to follow
Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #2331
alprosound
HappyMan

Oddometer: 498
Weight Loss

Hey guys, what are the top three items you've ditched on your Sertao to cut weight? The only obvious one is the exhaust which I will replace shortly but unlike many of my other bikes there is nothing that is glaringly obvious. I don't mind cutting things in half pound increments.

Thoughts?

06 Triumph Tiger
Suzuki DR650SE
Yamaha XT350
Suzuki DR 200
Yamaha TTR
Yamaha RT
Suzuki JR 80 and JR50

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

http://ridedualsport.com
alprosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #2332
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Guys

I've made it down to New Mexico, which brings me to around 6,500 miles in total since I bought the bike in March. I have so many little niggling issues with the bike now that I can hardly write them all up. I clearly need a day off from riding just to fix things up. I'll post some pictures soon, promise.

Catching up on pages of this thread:

My fuse issue - yes it was a short. thanks for the help there. The short was INSIDE one of the powerlet cables. So frustrating, as it was intermittent, and the last thing i thought of checking was a store bought cable.

TKC80s - I got 5,200 miles out of the rear. Its in a shitty state right now though. The main knobs are worn down to the TWI. Its useless in the dirt, and has been for the last few hundred miles. The front is fairly trashed, but would survive a while longer, but I'm putting D606s on tomorrow.

I used them hard: dirt and highway up to, gulp, 100mph (just tried it for a second to see if the sertao would go that fast). It was wobbling desperately, and I needed a long hill to get that speed up.

Clutch - not to resurface an already over discussed topic, but i do agree that the clutch lever doesnt have enough play. I have it set on the max setting, but because i use the 2 finger clutch pull, i pull it in so that the lever hits my other fingers, and there's still some friction in the plates. it stalls sometimes because of this, and its hard to find neutral. If i change my grip and pull in with all 4 fingers, then i find neutral easier.

Exhaust/sputtering - I like the popping on deceleration, but I sputter in 1st sometimes no matter how much gas I give it. Alesky has seen it twice on my bike. And each time people assume im starting in 3rd gear :(

I'll ask BMW to do the computer thingy for the 6,000 mile service. Can't believe the computer will adjust based on a different exhaust pipe, but will try it.

Tail light - I zip tied mine to the luggage rack. The zip tie takes the strain, and flexes well. The proper plastic assembly doesnt take the strain any more.

Alprosound - i ditched the passenger footpegs, as well as the exhaust, and i combined the cruz toolkit with the stock one, so i dont carry duplicates.

Questions for ya:

Swamp - did removing the silencer bit in the exhaust do anything other than increase the volume?

Tire wear indicators: Obviously for dirt, they should have been changed sooner. But the "official" rule is that you wear into the indicator until it shows something, or once you approach it, its time?

Electrical capacity - This one is frustrating me. I've worn the battery down, even my new scorpion, a few times. Maybe i have too many electronics hanging off it. Is there a rule of thumb over how many spare watts are available?

ie. my theoretical maximum is the usual bike stuff plus 65W heated jacket, grips on high heat, gps, iphone on a 2 amp cigarette lighter, 2 camera batteries - each on 1 amp adapters. Is that too much? I know the bike is 400W, I just dont know how much is spare.

thanks

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #2333
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Guys

Electrical capacity - This one is frustrating me. I've worn the battery down, even my new scorpion, a few times. Maybe i have too many electronics hanging off it. Is there a rule of thumb over how many spare watts are available?

ie. my theoretical maximum is the usual bike stuff plus 65W heated jacket, grips on high heat, gps, iphone on a 2 amp cigarette lighter, 2 camera batteries - each on 1 amp adapters. Is that too much? I know the bike is 400W, I just dont know how much is spare.

thanks
May a voltmeter on the dash would keep you more in tune to the watts being consumed. I have a sparkbright LED and there are times it will show low voltage so I know it is times to turn down the jacket or grips.

It the single LED mounted on the right dash area.

Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #2334
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:

thanks
Don't really know how much extra load you can carry, while the engine is running, but I am assuming you are not exceeding it. What will kill you is not shedding off the (non-switchable) load before shutting down the engine. It is here that you pull a lot of juice without replenishment. If you carry so much stuff, I will again recommend the Motobat MB12U battery, it has 15 AH capacity (20% over stock and over Scorpion). While you still have to replenish the capacity you use, the battery will give you more cushion for those little "mistakes":).
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #2335
nylon2000
Wanderer

I'll ask BMW to load test my battery when it gets serviced, and if needed i'm getting that new/bigger one.

Nothing draws power when the engine is off - i moved all my add ons to the tail light circuit, so when the ignition is off they are all off.

Obviously, if i leave the ignition on, but the engine off, and wander off, then they are all on, and im DOA

The expedition
About the bike
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #2336
nylon2000
Wanderer

Some pics of Oklahoma dirt on the TAT:

The wheels were caked, and as you can imagine I had ZERO traction at this point, hence the third photo, which is just after the bike fell. Somehow a ton of mud got stuck, specifically, onto the headlights, and baked dry there.

The mud really was like clay.

I then came to a ford, which looked ok, until i saw a raised truck go through. It was probably 24" deep.

At that point I gave up and slabbed it 200 miles to a drier area.

Video showing how deep the stream was that i was about to cross
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYovhFXo10

The expedition
About the bike

nylon2000 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:10 AM
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #2337
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Some pics of Oklahoma dirt on the TAT:

The wheels were caked, and as you can imagine I had ZERO traction at this point, hence the third photo, which is just after the bike fell. Somehow a ton of mud got stuck, specifically, onto the headlights, and baked dry there.

The mud really was like clay.

I then came to a ford, which looked ok, until i saw a raised truck go through. It was probably 24" deep.

At that point I gave up and slabbed it 200 miles to a drier area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYovhFXo10

The low front fender will stop the mud from totally covering the headlight, I think. It has for me, but I haven't been in shit like that!!
My TKC's were shot around the 5k mark too. Never again. I have only a few miles on the K60's, but I hear they go insane long. Trade off is they're a bitch to get on/off the rim. I took them out for a shake down in a heavy rain on my dirt roads and they seemed fine. Not a knobby for sure, but they were predictable.
Have a blast and be safe, yo
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #2338
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Nylon , the db killer is only one Alan bolt to remove. Just take it out, ride it for a day. I think removing it increases the flow and reduces backpressure but hey , im just going off of feel. In my opinion my bike runs perfect. I have my clutch lever set in the "furthest away from the grip position" and ive adjusted it so I only need one finger to pull it .

I dont connect any electrical gizmos to my bike.

Tire ware..you will not see anything past the indicators . Just buy a new tire.
Keep the pics coming!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2339
Bovino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Hi,

just checked in here.

Got my Sertao new in June 2012 and it´s been great so far. Zero Problems.
I ride it hard but pamper it...
I´ve put a LeoVince on it, Renthal bars, TKC 80´s (wich I´ve always liked) and then the full Touratech treatment.

Just came back from a 3000 kay roundtrip in Morocco (I´ll put up some pic´s in the right section). Again, bike came back perfect, no issues. Well, a flat tire.
It really does all I want and that easy. Pissing about on rough Sahara tracks is just too much fun on it! Plenty of power for FesFes and sand, tank is big enough as well. All I want!

If anyone give a fark I´ll post some pic´s of all them lil´add-on´s.

Cheers,

Chris
Bovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #2340
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovino View Post
Hi,

If anyone give a fark I´ll post some pic´s of all them lil´add-on´s.

Cheers,

Chris

Yup, please do so.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote