Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #2386
Smallwires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Pretty sure they are just listed as: Renthal 7/8" MX bar. The are the ones with the crossbrace, come in various colors.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwollenCranium View Post
DO you have a Link to a part or a part number for that bar?
Smallwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #2387
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempered_lobster View Post

I am missing half the bike it seems........Photo was taken during the ABS removal. Back wheel is away being re-laced to an 18"..........
Forks are they KTM's or Yamaha?
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #2388
Bovino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I run Renthals as well, they have still loads of different toothpick models. Specs are on their site. I think mine are 8 or 9 cm rise.

So, Swampy and Geordie lobster- enlighten me:
Don't get me wrong, I love both of your bikes and the work that gone into them, but why? Didn't you kinda start with the wrong bike?
I know the fork swap was common on the Dakars allready... My take is that if one puts the same dough and time on a KTM 690, the results will be fantastic. The sixfiddy's rear setup is what it is, a reasonably priced one, not much you can do about travel etc.
Taking the ABS off makes sense though, BM's cheap setup is crap, reason why I ordered mine without it.

Cheers,

Chris
Bovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #2389
rifo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey all,

My name is Ofir, I'm from Israel, been reading around here for a while and decided to jump in and ask some questions.
I've got a 2013 sertao that I bought in February, and I've gotten to many factory repairs done since.
I've got 8500km on it and already had a side stand bend and snap, had the brake light get stuck on brake all the time, and recently my passing light button and horn stopped working, repaired it and it went again. Anyone have an idea why this happens?

For now here is a pic of the bike on it's first rundown to the desert
rifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #2390
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson1 View Post
I used them hard: dirt and highway up to, gulp, 100mph (just tried it for a second to see if the sertao would go that fast). It was wobbling desperately, and I needed a long hill to get that speed up.

Nylon I find the statement above interesting. my bike would do 110 plus stock with the 16 tooth sprocket and now that I've when to a 15 it pulls 100 just as the rev. limiter kicks in. This is on level ground and now with a 15 it will still pull that going up a noticeable hill or long incline. I agree it gets a little out of sorts but I've always got to know what they'll do and then make sure they still do it from time to time.
Also someone ask about weight savings, for me the first thing was the battery the Shorai, you can shave 5 lbs and it still gives you 2 extra AH. I also like to get rid of any up high weight.
My question is how is that crazy high 1st gear now with the 15t CS?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #2391
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
Panniers and tires make a big difference in how the bike handles high speeds. A top box with stock tires is rock solid at any speed regardless of crosswind. My Jesse luggage seems to catch the wind more so it's more sensitive in a crosswind.

My new TKC80 front and Heideneau rear makes the bike kind of squirrelly from 90km/h up. In a crosswind, I'm all over my lane, literally. I might swap out the TKC for the Heidi front to see if that settles things down.

Everyone take note,
The bike is light. No, not for a little thumper, but for high speed street duty. Those skinny little tires can't handle those kinds of speeds. What happens when the speedo creeps over 75mph is that the tire starts to "round out" The centrifical force makes the tire get taller and skinnier, thus turning your effective contact patch into something around the size of a nickel. Add in Heidi's or any knobbly and it is even worse. Like a friggin' dime! So I really don't recommend trying to set land speed records on the poor little Sertao. It isn't intended or designed for that purpose at all. I find that it suits me perfect for back road crusing and pushing (a little:) on dirt. There again, those silly little 1970's forks suck when pushed, even with progressive springs. Ask ole' Swampy how he like the YZ forks
I think in another year I might see how the Husky Terra forks slide into some new trees. Definitely getting the Ohlins shock.
BTW... I have the K60's and my bike gets all out of sorts anywhere from 80mph on. No dice.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #2392
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovino View Post
I run Renthals as well, they have still loads of different toothpick models. Specs are on their site. I think mine are 8 or 9 cm rise.

Don't get me wrong, I love both of your bikes and the work that gone into them, but why? Didn't you kinda start with the wrong bike?
I know the fork swap was common on the Dakars allready... My take is that if one puts the same dough and time on a KTM 690, the results will be fantastic. The sixfiddy's rear setup is what it is, a reasonably priced one, not much you can do about travel etc.
Taking the ABS off makes sense though, BM's cheap setup is crap, reason why I ordered mine without it.

Cheers,

Chris
Honestly, I feel the same way. I was soooo close to pulling the trigger on the 690. So close. But I have a sick Husaberg woods weapon and it is street legal here in VT so I'm happy with my decision. I really don't think I'll get into the whole fork thing. Just doesn't seem worth it. And maybe I won't get the Ohlins shock. That's Gregg at Max trying to get me on one. It's a BMW. Just a god damn good bike overall. Warranty and dealer support sold me too. I have my eye on an F800R now for getting twisted on the twisty's
When I get rid of the woods bike I might get the 690. But I hope BMW offers some competition some day. That would be my choice scooter.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #2393
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
My question is how is that crazy high 1st gear now with the 15t CS?

I have had the 15t on from day one so I don't know any different, but it seems to be a good fit for the use of the bike. Can't really imagine riding it with taller gearing, but I always prefer to rev than lug. Comfy highway cruise in the 65ish range (over 60-65 is not too enjoyable for me on this bike anyhow). Easily lugs me around town with my wife. First gear is low enough without being annoying - you can either short shift it and get right to second or wind it out a little if you need to avoid getting run over at busy stop signs. If I was planning a mostly offroad trip with tougher hills I would maybe go even lower, maybe up a tooth or two in the rear.

Oh, and 58 mpg around town

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #2394
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I have had the 15t on from day one so I don't know any different, but it seems to be a good fit for the use of the bike. Can't really imagine riding it with taller gearing, but I always prefer to rev than lug. Comfy highway cruise in the 65ish range (over 60-65 is not too enjoyable for me on this bike anyhow). Easily lugs me around town with my wife. First gear is low enough without being annoying - you can either short shift it and get right to second or wind it out a little if you need to avoid getting run over at busy stop signs. If I was planning a mostly offroad trip with tougher hills I would maybe go even lower, maybe up a tooth or two in the rear.

Oh, and 58 mpg around town
Cool,
Maybe when I wear out the stock drivetrain I'll consider the 15t
I'd like a little lower 1st
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #2395
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love both of your bikes and the work that gone into them, but why?

Chris
i wouldnt ride a ktm to south america and then to africa and beyond.. sure people do it but.... WHY?

if you ever get a chance to ride a sertao that has had the fork swap/revalve/resprung , been put on a diet and had an 18" rear fitted you will know exactly why. because its fucking awesome. thats why.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #2396
tempered_lobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Forks are they KTM's or Yamaha?
KTM. I looked at the YZ route, but decided that KTM would let me keep my brake caliper and run a 300mm disc.
tempered_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #2397
tempered_lobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Cheers,

Chris
Erm, because I started with a Sertao. I'm currently planning on riding across Russia/Europe in a couple of years time. I want a bike that is comfortable, reliable, that I know inside out. I also want a bike I can do a 50mile round trip commute on, and that can play nicely in the dirt. The Sertao (with modifications) ticks all those boxes for me.
tempered_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #2398
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

I'll look into the fork thing and rear wheel next year
After the experience with my 640A and 525, I realized that KTM's are sexy, and fast, and all tricked out, but I don't trust them like BMW. Just the mods I have done have really stepped the bike up a notch. I can see how suspension makes major changes for the good. I have always sent my shit out to Factory Connection for the full monty and it really works! I guess I'd just like to see the fitment of the forks/wheel/brakes and clamps made easy and look factory in the end. I know the wheel done up from Woody's is easy enough and same goes for the rear wheel and Ohlins shock. Just not sure about the forks. I don't want my bike to look any different than stock when finished, outside of the obvious bling of the fork legs
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #2399
Bovino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I gave up my mint 2002 11k kms TTR 600 for the Sertão, and I miss it. Suspension was great, Öhlins in the rear was standard. The engine was shit though...
Looking around, there is no supplement for the XR's and TTR's.
Done properly, not a Italian hack job like the X Challenge, it would sell. Big time.
Yamaha (being a Yamaha kid since I was 12 it hurts to say...) almost got it right, but again they failed with putting a decent engine in the otherwise cool Ténéré.
Rode it a few times, great overall but the Minarelli-China mill is fucking boring!

Cheers,

Chris
Bovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #2400
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I really don't think I'll get into the whole fork thing. Just doesn't seem worth it. And maybe I won't get the Ohlins shock. That's Gregg at Max trying to get me on one. It's a BMW. Just a god damn good bike overall.
sure did change your mind about the forks pretty quickly

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote