User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #2776
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
New Scottish Sertao owner signing in!

I'm looking forward to picking up my new G650GS Sertao at the end of the week so thought i'd say hello to the other Sertao owners!

I'm tall at 6' 4" so the Sertao with a Dakar seat will be the ideal height and i'll be using this bike mostly for winter riding aswell as around our farm here in Scotland.

The local BMW dealer in Edinburgh(Motorrad Central) are doing cracking deals on these bikes at the moment and I've bought my new 2013 Sertao for 10 less than the cost of my wifes 2011 G650GS FL(factory lowered) with ABS and heated grips so i'm happy!

UK spec bikes come with ABS, heated grips, handguards, sumpguard and a tall screen but only have a two year warranty.

I'll be 'borrowing' a few of the Touratech extras from my wifes bike and these'll include the following........She'll never notice honest!!

Rear brake cylinder guard
Rear brake hard part
Dakar fork stanchion protectors(she only ever needed half of these on an FL G650GS)
Removeable headlamp protector
GPS mount
Windscreen height adjuster
Sidestand enlarger
RR oil tank dipstick temperature gauge

Luggage for the Sertao will include a nice old Touratech tankbag and various expanding Touratech tailpacks I've collected over the years but i'll be fitting an F800GS alloy topbox and mounting plate which with a little modification will fit the Sertao nicely aswell as looking the bogs b*llocks!

I've already made a topbox for Mrs P's G650GS and this was from a damaged R1200GSA alloy pannier I was given for free which I cut down and mounted to the metal baseplate of an old F650GS plastic topbox so it mounts and locks the same as the original and goes well with her 29 litre Zega panniers!

75 mpg sounds good too.......As does the 14 insurance charge to add the bike to my BMW policy.......All of which makes the G650GS Sertao an economical bike to own!

FP.

Farmer Palmer screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 04:03 AM Reason: sp.
Farmer Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #2777
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
I've seen the oil temp gauges($45) mentioned above on ebay. Honestly, other than a "gearhead" trinket what purpose do they serve a non-racing rider? If the oil's too hot do you stop, go faster, what?
My BMW car now has an oil temp gauge too, rather than a water temp... Perhaps it saves mfg $?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #2778
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I've seen the oil temp gauges($45) mentioned above on ebay. Honestly, other than a "gearhead" trinket what purpose do they serve a non-racing rider? If the oil's too hot do you stop, go faster, what?
My BMW car now has an oil temp gauge too, rather than a water temp... Perhaps it saves mfg $?
Aye you're right it's just pointless sh*te but it looks good and it's always interesting to see what temperature the bikes running at especially since it doesn't have a temperature gauge of it's own!

Out of interest my wifes G650GS runs at around 80 degrees C and goes up when it gets hot and down a bit when it gets cold if you know what I mean whereas I had an old 98 Suzuki DR350 SE and got the oil temp gauge in a parts bundle I bought and thought i'd see what temperature the old aircooled motor ran at.

When it was hot it ran up to 85 degrees C+ and I was surpised to see when riding along the 'main roads' at around 55-60mph in 5th gear the oil in the air cooled motor dropped right back to 55 degrees C whereas the G650GS oil temp seemed more constant with it's more advanced water cooled engine.

I suppose if I was riding around at normal speeds and the oil temperature went up to 120 i'd probably stop and see if anything was wrong but I've had two F650 Funduro's and two F650GS singles over the years and can't say I've ever had a problem with a temperature warning light coming on.

Have you seen the new Touratech 'chocolate teapot'.........It looks really nice?

FP.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #2779
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
My almost-new (450 miles) Sertao wouldn't start yesterday, all sorts of strange error messages on the dash when I turned the ignition key on, and nothing happened when I tried to fire up the engine. Had it towed to the BMW dealer who told me that the battery had "boiled over" and the acid destroyed parts of the electronics! Luckily, there's no other visible damage. The dealer replaced the battery and electronics under warranty.

Cheers!
ARRGH! I feel your pain. I am on my third battery in a year. I have kept it charged. Even when its fully charged I am nervious about getting it to start in the field. The dealership seems to think its me. Is it un realistic to ride the bike for day and then park it at 7-8 PM and expect it to start in the monring? The dealership says I should charge it every time I park it overnight. It kind of stumped them when I explained that its an adventure bike and charging it in the middle of the desert while camping is not realistic.
ScopeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #2780
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Pardon the pun, but you're been taken for a ride!
Tell that dealer he's a fucking idiot that should not be selling or servicing bikes.

you have a short somewhere IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeBite View Post
ARRGH! I feel your pain. I am on my third battery in a year. I have kept it charged. Even when its fully charged I am nervious about getting it to start in the field. The dealership seems to think its me. Is it un realistic to ride the bike for day and then park it at 7-8 PM and expect it to start in the monring? The dealership says I should charge it every time I park it overnight. It kind of stumped them when I explained that its an adventure bike and charging it in the middle of the desert while camping is not realistic.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #2781
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Finally got out for a 2 day offroad (mostly) ride in Central PA this weekend, and I can say the Sertao performed really well. Did about 100 miles each day, from gravel to ROCKY jeep tails and some singletrack, and even had to give a stranded 300 pound rider a 40 mile ride back to camp. With the 15T front sprocket the gearing was pretty good overall. The fork bottomed a bunch of times but was fine for a slower 1st and 2nd gear pace. I did bend the front rim a little bit while following guys on KTM 690s through some rocky sections but it didn't seem to affect tire function at all. The Michelin T63s worked well for the bike. With about 1100 miles on it now the engine also seems to be breaking in more. All said and done, very happy with how it did. Better suspension would be nice, but for faster paced offroad I think it makes to get a smaller bike anyways.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #2782
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
Scopebite and Giganova, Aquatic has said what I was tempted to say about the dealer statements in far few blunt words than I would have used

Re battery "overheated" post. The VR's can overheat and put higher than normal voltage out but will not cause a battery to spew acid especially on in 450 miles. Sounds to me like they spilt acid during pre delivery and had to clean up their mess. The only electronics under the battery would be the Coil on Plug units and they are epoxy sealed so that is BS. I would be concerned re engine cases corroding long term

Re the need to tender the bike overnight, they should be able to sit for 2 months with a conventional lead acid battery and still fire up instantly. The difference between the new models and our older models is in the dash and I am wondering if there is raw power to the dash with the ignition off. It may be that the dash is meant to go into sleep mode and is failing to do so, this is a problems with the Bosch ECU's on other models of BM but our ECU's have power removed when the ignition is off. It is only the memory section which has power to it not the processor.

With both posts re power, I would refer it to BMW
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #2783
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Swampers!

So you noticed that one? Yeah, i tossed the passenger pegs after the first week. I'm not running a damn taxi service, people need their own wheels.

Also i found out what that dangly tube was for - turns out, after much research on urban dictionary ;) it wasn't for the blinker fluid. It's almost as useless though, its a drain pipe for the stock battery, which i obviously also tossed after week 1.

I tied a nice knot in it to make it look pretty.

Writing this fromVladivostok, where the internet pipe is so thin its like trying to fart into a small tube.

Trying to catch up on my blog, and trying to track down the local motocycle gang, for some "protection" (and im assuming thats not condoms or bear spray here).

Ny-Lon

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #2784
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 581
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Anybody know if there's a solo seat being sold out there?

I've been looking but my hopes are dwindling.

I purchase the solo saddle from BMW along with my bike. Seat arrived the day before I left on vacation. Fitted it up and put my butt on it and seems like my shape. I'll take it out when I get home next weekend. You need to add a couple of washers to raise the bike's latch assembly but that was easy. And you have to order the lock cylinder separately. I'll report back after a few hours in the saddle.
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #2785
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,109
A single seat has been an option from day 1 of the GS, it is for those largish police butts, the locker at the rear is for radio gear

I have a modified one on the earlier model and it is more comfy than the dual seats and in height is between the high and low dual seats
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #2786
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,792
window pic

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #2787
Beema
n00b

Oddometer: 2
G650 gs

I am seriously looking at buying this model and wondering what others experiences are ...not worried about grunt, more handling, smooth ride and some German engineering
Beema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #2788
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,792
Yea just buy it... buy kd's bike .

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #2789
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Yea just buy it... buy kd's bike .

I have it still. I love it, but if someone really wants it, I'd let her go. She needs nothing
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #2790
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Cutting Handlebars

I got my ProTaper RM bars in the mail this week. I've never cut bars down to size before. How'd you fellas go about it? It doesn't need to be perfect but I'm imagining myself butchering it if I just take a hack saw and go at 'em.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote