Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #2791
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post

Window -

-And as for the chain / surely it'll just stretch to the desired amount?

Currently when I twist the handlebar thingy, the bike moves. So it seems fine.

Nylon,

I certainly appreciate the scientific method, I like science . But then you need some financial advise: why were you spending all that money on oil changes, brake fluid, and a new chain and sprockets? That's wasteful. Certainly, the bike moved when you twisted the handlebar thingy .

Just looking out for you Man. Africa is big........
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #2792
joules71
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello everyone. Excuse me for the inconvenience. With all its accessories, is that someone would have for an original sale Sertao windscreen?
Big thank you . MERCI
joules71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #2793
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,434
Check back with me in a month.. I'm getting a different wind screen (taller) down the road.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #2794
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
I got my ProTaper RM bars in the mail this week. I've never cut bars down to size before. How'd you fellas go about it? It doesn't need to be perfect but I'm imagining myself butchering it if I just take a hack saw and go at 'em.
What about using a roll pipe cutter?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #2795
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
I have used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel on all of my woods bikes.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2796
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Sounds to me like they spilt acid during pre delivery and had to clean up their mess.
You hit it right on: the powerlet outlet never worked on my bike from the minute I picked it up from the dealer (odometer 0 miles). When they fixed the "boiled over" battery, they said they replaced the powerlet outlet because it was damaged from the battery's acid spill. Looks like the damage occurred when the bike was delivered to the dealer!
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #2797
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 670
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema View Post
I am seriously looking at buying this model and wondering what others experiences are ...not worried about grunt, more handling, smooth ride and some German engineering

Grunt is fine for solo riding. Handling is pretty light but like anything with a 21" it isn't "quick". Steering angle actually seems steep which quickens the turning a little. Steering input is very good and with the stock tires very light. More aggressive tread may increase that a little. I only have a few hundred miles so far and haven't gotten into any soft stuff yet.
Ride is kind of interesting. Suspension is okay for stock. Engine vibration isn't too bad but seems to vary more by engine load than by engine speed. I expect that as the engine breaks in, it will get get even better. Others will have to tell you how it is on multi-hour pavement treks. I haven't gone out that long yet.

I like mine so far and would say go for it. I thought it was good deal for the price.

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 07:34 PM
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #2798
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,434
Vibration isn't bad at all. Im doing at least 350 miles every weekend. I'm noticing the vibration has gotten better over time.

The 1st 1500 was killer But I really just don't notice anymore. Just had my 6k mile service and Ive noticed its running smoother and better than ever. Its really impressing me more and more as the miles pick up.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #2799
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

i agree with the above about the motor and either the transmission gets better with age or i just got used to it. . i'll go with the "it gets better with age" option.

opinions needed:
you guys know that my bike is holed up in a storage facility in panama city.
it has been in storage since May 1.

when i put it up for storage i removed the battery and changed the oil and the oil filter. i also put some fuel stabilizer in the tank (the fuel light was on so i guess there was about a gallon of gas left in the tank).

my plan is to pick up the bike sometime in january or february and keep riding it.

when i pick it up i plan on, installing a battery, draining the gas tank, bleeding the brakes and installing a new chain.

can you think of any "storage" related problems that the bike may have from sitting up for so long ?

honestly... i can't.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #2800
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
i agree with the above about the motor and either the transmission gets better with age or i just got used to it. . i'll go with the "it gets better with age" option.

opinions needed:

when i put it up for storage i removed the battery and changed the oil and the oil filter. i also put some fuel stabilizer in the tank (the fuel light was on so i guess there was about a gallon of gas left in the tank).

my plan is to pick up the bike sometime in january or february and keep riding it.

when i pick it up i plan on, installing a battery, draining the gas tank, bleeding the brakes and installing a new chain.

can you think of any "storage" related problems that the bike may have from sitting up for so long ?

honestly... i can't.

Give it a wash. Wipe down the forks. Lubricate chain, levers, pegs. It hasn't been sitting that long.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #2801
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

opinions needed:

honestly... i can't.
Little details,
Get a cable lube injector thingy. Motion Pro makes one. I use Tri-Flow as the lube. hit all your cables. It works slick. Clamp it on one end and squirt away and you will see the lube squirt out the other end.
I also rub a bit of the tri-flow on the fork sliders and compress the forks a few times to lubricate the seals. While your'e at it, hit every pivoting thing on the bike with the tri-flow.
I'm a bicycle mechanic so I sweat those little details
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2802
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Little details,
Get a cable lube injector thingy. Motion Pro makes one. I use Tri-Flow as the lube. hit all your cables. It works slick. Clamp it on one end and squirt away and you will see the lube squirt out the other end.
I also rub a bit of the tri-flow on the fork sliders and compress the forks a few times to lubricate the seals. While your'e at it, hit every pivoting thing on the bike with the tri-flow.
Are you sure lubing the cables is recommended ??
On the 1200 GS's it is not, because the cables are nylon lined.IIRC.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2803
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Little details,

On my R80G/S the cables were nylon coated and you NEVER lubed them because then they would stick. Does BMW still do that? I haven't looked at that yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #2804
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
ooh,
I don't know about that. Teflon lined?
Quality bicycle cables are lined and that is why you use Tri-flow. it works with teflon lining. Just to be safe, lube just the pivot points and the fork sliders.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #2805
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

cool thanks. for the ideas 'fellers