User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #2806
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Air filter

After riding in a giant dust cloud for most of the weekend I decided to take a look at the filter. Surprisingly clean, probably owing to some good German engineering on the air intake.

At any rate, is there a good way to clean the stock filter? Or maybe its too soon to worry about it?

Would you guys recommend just swapping over to a K&N? What about the foam Touratech one? All of my other offroad bikes used foam and oil and conventional wisdom is that foam is better for dust...
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #2807
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
After riding in a giant dust cloud for most of the weekend I decided to take a look at the filter. Surprisingly clean, probably owing to some good German engineering on the air intake.

At any rate, is there a good way to clean the stock filter? Or maybe its too soon to worry about it?

Would you guys recommend just swapping over to a K&N? What about the foam Touratech one? All of my other offroad bikes used foam and oil and conventional wisdom is that foam is better for dust...
I haven't researched any of it yet, but the tech at BMW told me that the dust goes right through the OEM filter. He said clean it often, if you ride in dusty conditions off-road. Or better yet, replace it with foam and oil.
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #2808
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
The K&N is not so good in high dust environments, the best balance between filtration and flow rate is the Unifilter foam oil filter. (Higher flow rate and better filtering than paper) The TT filter is a rebadged (and no doubt marked up) Unifilter see http://www.uniflow.com.au/

Fore really dusty environments there are also prefilters available but they are normally only used on the bigger GS twins
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #2809
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
I haven't researched any of it yet, but the tech at BMW told me that the dust goes right through the OEM filter. He said clean it often, if you ride in dusty conditions off-road. Or better yet, replace it with foam and oil.

er..I guess thats why it looked so clean

Sounds like the Uni is the way to go. Unfortunately the TT version is quite pricey...will look for another source for the Uni.

Thanks guys
Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #2810
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
I believe you can order from Unifliter Australia, correct me if I am wrong but they do have a currency selection on their web site

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/p5528.html

We have been dealing with them here since the 70's and their reputation is great so I would expect you will get great service, and no I am not associated with the Co, I just use their filters

I am assuming the Sertao uses the same filter as our older models
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #2811
Kim_uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
France

Some photos from my recent trip to France, it rained a lot...

On the euro tunnel

Mobile Bar

In the Pyrenees

Kim_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #2812
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,766
Thanks for the pics!
Speaking of pics, hows about some Asia pics nylon
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #2813
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

More air filter

So I ordered the foam one, but its back-ordered a few weeks. If I wanted to clean the OEM one, what would I do? I am new to paper filters.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #2814
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Swamp - you just want to see pics of the Siberian women! They are insanely beautiful, but I'm caked in mud, smell like a tramp, am living cheaply and don't speak the language.

Given that, and the fact that my zoom lens is only 300mm, I've more chance getting a clear pic of an endangered Siberian tiger.

I'll take a shower and see what I can rustle up!

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #2815
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
So I ordered the foam one, but its back-ordered a few weeks. If I wanted to clean the OEM one, what would I do? I am new to paper filters.
Where did you order from?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2816
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Touratech-searched high and low, and it was the only supply of foam filters I could find in the US
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #2817
Mr50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hello Sertao owners,

I've been seeking my new bike out for a while now and just had a few questions on this one. Do you guys typically maintain the bike yourself or take it to a bmw tech? How much are the services for the bike? What are the weak points in the bike? (Bad seat, poor stock tires, etc?) Any regrets with the sertao?

Thanks for the help, new bike time is quickly approaching
Mr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #2818
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr50 View Post
Hello Sertao owners,

I've been seeking my new bike out for a while now and just had a few questions on this one. Do you guys typically maintain the bike yourself or take it to a bmw tech? How much are the services for the bike? What are the weak points in the bike? (Bad seat, poor stock tires, etc?) Any regrets with the sertao?

Thanks for the help, new bike time is quickly approaching
I have only brought my bike to the dealer for a couple of warranty repairs. I got the 650 for the simplicity and reliablility. I change the oil myself. Super easy.
Get a service manual DVD
Then you can check your own valves, etc.
They say you should bring the bike in for a check-up at 6,000 miles.
I might have them check mine out before next season but I'm not 100% on that.
If your'e around 5'10" and up you'll want to get the Dakar High Seat and 34mm bar risers.
Progressive fork springs even if you only ride the roads. It keeps the front end from diving when you brake hard into corners.
Wider footpegs.
If you are trying to save $$$ and will only be touring around on mostly paved roads with some dirt roads, then the stock bike will be fine. I would highly recommend doing the above mods at least.
And get rid of the stock battery. I got a Scorpion Maintenance free battery for $65 I think. Just piece of mind.
I don't think any of us stopped at that.
Right Swamp?
Great bike. I rode mine stock with only Conti TKC80's for a few months and I liked it.
Now I have it dialed and I love it!
Taking a short camping trip with some guys I have met (not in person yet) over in the Northeast Regional Forums this weekend. Can't wait.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #2819
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr50 View Post
How much are the services for the bike?
My 600 miles "breakin service" (oil and oil filter change, checkup) cost $275 -- welcome to the world of expensive BMW bikes!

Quote:
What are the weak points in the bike? (Bad seat, poor stock tires, etc?) Any regrets with the sertao?
My Sertao had a leaking battery right from the day I bought it and the acid damaged the wiring/fuses, so that was a bummer. If you buy one, I strongly suggest to replace the OEM battery with a sealed acid-free MotoBatt or Scorpion battery.

Other than that, great bike!
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #2820
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,234
Ouch!

My 6k mile service last weekend was $237!

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote