Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #2821
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr50 View Post
Hello Sertao owners,

I've been seeking my new bike out for a while now and just had a few questions on this one. Do you guys typically maintain the bike yourself or take it to a bmw tech? How much are the services for the bike? What are the weak points in the bike? (Bad seat, poor stock tires, etc?) Any regrets with the sertao?

Thanks for the help, new bike time is quickly approaching
I don't do any self maintenance... yet. This is my first bike so I let BMW handle it. One day I'll learn how to do it since Ive always done my own cars... can't be that much different.

I forget what my first service cost, but my second, the 6k mile one cost me $237 (military discount always helps ).

Absolutely no regrets. The seat hurts after a while, but doesn't keep me from going farther.. no other complaints.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #2822
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Re battery, why not move to the Lithiums, take a look at the AntiGravity, take 3 kgs out of the weight of the top of the machine and have a larger capacity battery as well. It makes a big difference in how the machine feels
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #2823
DomEOD
'murica

I replaced my stock with a Ballistic evo 2. It weighs 1.2lbs. Definitely noticed the weightloss when getting on the bike.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #2824
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Dom -- I guess I have to learn how to do my own oil changes and minor repairs
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #2825
DomEOD
'murica

I imagine its easy as hell.. honestly the only thing I'm clueless on is the valve adjustment.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #2826
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Wunderlich sells the Blue Air Filter. Not "foam", but washable. I got that.

Combine it with a better exhaust and a rest of the adaption values and you'll have a machine that gets heads turning.

Swamp - I'm in a bar in some town I can't remember the name of. The town is having their annual "passage into womanhood" ball. All the girls, about to become women, are dressed in prom/stripper attire. I need to get the hell out of here for everyone's safety! Maybe a few more beers and I'll take some pics!!

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #2827
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
I imagine its easy as hell.. honestly the only thing I'm clueless on is the valve adjustment.
I watched a bmw tech check my valves before departing for my ride to Panama. They were in spec . I wrote the specs on top of my valve cover with a paint pen . The valves have a wide tolerance spec (I guess thats the correct term ) . The tech told me that the valves on these bikes rarely need adjusting. They are solid motors.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #2828
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Check back with me in a month.. I'm getting a different wind screen (taller) down the road.
Do you ship to France? Merci!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #2829
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
...so where are those stripper pics ? Or was that a drunk post

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #2830
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
A good place to splice into the tail harness is just behind the tail harness connector. The connector is located front right under the seat (or just aft of the fox tank, on the right side). The tail harness runs from the tail light assembly along the left side of the frame member and crosses over to the right about mid-seat location, and then it connects to the main harness at right front seat location. If you are to connect a small load item (I have LED topbox lights on it), you can just connect your stuff to the harness there by splicing. But, if you going to put a substantial load, you should wire a relay, as suggested above.
The connector has 4 wires:
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Blue/red
  • Green/red

Do I splice into the blue or green to get the Ignition ON/OFF?

Thanks,
Stefan
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #2831
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
The connector has 4 wires:
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Blue/red
  • Green/red

Do I splice into the blue or green to get the Ignition ON/OFF?

Thanks,
Stefan
It's been a while since I did it. I don't remember the colors. But someone, who did it after me, did write down the colors. You only need to look back in this thread. Or you can trace the colors from the tail light assembly. Use the wire for the running light. Don't use the brake light or the blinker wires.

Good luck
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2832
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The wire colors there go not give ignition on, one of the wires will give ignition on and park on (the one going to tail light)

Green/Blue is normally ignition on, on that section I think (from memory) green/red is tail light but suggest you refer to the wiring diagrams. The ones for the single and dual spark F Series will be good enough to show you the colors, BMW is reasonably consistent between models and the F and G's vary only slightly
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #2833
DomEOD
'murica

What gas are you guys using?

I've been putting 91 in since day 1. Saw a couple guys with regular 650's filling up with 87 this morning. I coulda sworn the manual said 91 but I don't have it on me right now.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #2834
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The BMS firmware for the earlier single spark models was split into 2 components, the first was the basic system and the second part was the data part which determined which fuel type was to be used (and other things like market EU or US)

With the dual spark models it has become less clear whether the dealer can change a setting to change the fuel type but I would expect it to be possible

The ability to change fuel type with either a setting change or loading a different data set has been a problem for owners to know which fuel to use on older models purchased as used. A GS911 can be used to get the firmware version and this can be used to determine fuel type at least on earlier models

An example is my own machine, after purchase I had the dealer program it to use standard unleaded (US 87) as that was the only fuel I could reliably get in some of the places I was going here in Oz but there is no place it is marked on the machine that the programming has been changed.

It would be worthwhile to ask dealers whether the new model fuel type programming can be changed
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #2835
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
What gas are you guys using?

I've been putting 91 in since day 1. Saw a couple guys with regular 650's filling up with 87 this morning. I coulda sworn the manual said 91 but I don't have it on me right now.
US 2012 Sertao can use 87, as per owner's manual. This is what I use with no issues.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote