Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #2881
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
What interests me re the new fan on the 2010+ models and Sertao is that it is a larger fan than on our F's, it is also a design more like other makes/models. SPAL publish the spec on air flow where we have no spec for the early model fan. It looks like BMW specified a 4 way mounting to the shroud where over the counter SPAL use a 3 way mount. The exact dimensions of the fan are unclear but if we could work that out then we would be able to ID which SPAL fan motor it is.
The SPAL fans are $70 where BMW want $240

I expected that the new fan would have a higher flow rate than the old one but the comments here now have me wondering.

EDIT - Re the machine running hot and exhaust glowing, faulty throttle position sensor is known to cause that and possibly a faulty 02 sensor could cause it

WayneC1 screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:03 PM
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #2882
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,740
Question

so who here has over 14k miles on their Sertao ?

just wondering.
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #2883
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
I'm nearly at 14k miles (since march of this year)!

Paso monte has the most I think, isn't he on 30k or so?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #2884
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
I'm nearly at 14k miles (since march of this year)!

Paso monte has the most I think, isn't he on 30k or so?

does your bike overheat ?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #2885
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
"overheat"? i dont believe so. it gets hot, the fan kicks on when its hot, it heats my leg up due to the fans exhaust. but ive not changed my riding because of it.

i've sat in traffic at 100F for a while, and ridden at highway speeds all day at the same temperatures as well.

how would i know if it "overheats" specifically?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #2886
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
"overheat"? i dont believe so. it gets hot, the fan kicks on when its hot, it heats my leg up due to the fans exhaust. but ive not changed my riding because of it.

i've sat in traffic at 100F for a while, and ridden at highway speeds all day at the same temperatures as well.

how would i know if it "overheats" specifically?
Dude, you'll know.. it will blow up underneathe you... it's nasty... scary, then you just keep riding..

Are you in Mongolia yet?
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #2887
GravelBoy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmbakermd View Post
Well I am back.
I planned about 6 months for a trip from Sacramento to ride to Utah to do the Utah Discovery route then do the Colorado discovery route going south. Sounds good right.
The 2012 BMW Sertao packed and ready to ride, 3 weeks off work, here I go. It was 113 degree's when I left, now that is pretty hot I know. I made it to Current, Nevada, not really a town, just a abandoned gas station on the Way to Ely Nevada. I took the scenic route up US 6. from Tonapah to Ely is 167 miles, between gas, food etc. Anyway the bike temperature light comes on, damn, deep pit in stomach. Wait try again, goes about 2 miles each time does it again. It was a very long trip to Ely, Nevada.
Boiled over once with me trying to climb the mountains in 4th to unload the bike, I was pretty loaded with gear, didn't help.
I took off the Radiator guards and fork guards, helped a little, but still overheating. What a disaster. Fan does not work as should but shouldn't mater at 50 or 60 mph plenty of hot wind going past the radiator.
Bottom line is I had to get the bike trucked back to Sacramento, and will taking to the dealer tomorrow. Trip busted.
Could be thermastat, water pump, fan certainly not doing much, the engine may be running too lean ( exhaust on the bike glows red), did the fix that BMW for the not starting hurt the ability to keep cool. I remember asking the mechanic about the valve adjustments and computer change that was required to get this bike to start. When I first bought this bike it stranded me 6 times before BMW fixed the starting problem.
Is this Chinese engine a problem, is this really a BMW 650 like the old 650 Dakar or is it fake.
We will see. I am going to try to hang in there with this bike, I have a considerable investment, I have but about $5000 in touratech farkle on this bike.
For now I am riding my KTM 520 EXC but it can not ride from Sacramento to Utah, that would be crazy.
It is going to be 110 degrees tomorrow.
I should have bought a KTM 990, still might have too.
We will see if BMW does what I bought the BMW for, great service and dependablity worldwide. Has not impressed me yet.

I have put 14,000 miles on the bike. It rides dirt about 30%, including dual sport rides going two up with my daughter, very fun. But the bike has too be dependable, has to start, has to not overheat.
I just finished a trip with a guy on a KTM 990. The KTM overheated several times.
GravelBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #2888
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #2889
ScopeBite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmbakermd View Post
Well I am back.
I planned about 6 months for a trip from Sacramento to ride to Utah to do the Utah Discovery route then do the Colorado discovery route going south. Sounds good right.
The 2012 BMW Sertao packed and ready to ride, 3 weeks off work, here I go. It was 113 degree's when I left, now that is pretty hot I know. I made it to Current, Nevada, not really a town, just a abandoned gas station on the Way to Ely Nevada. I took the scenic route up US 6. from Tonapah to Ely is 167 miles, between gas, food etc. Anyway the bike temperature light comes on, damn, deep pit in stomach. Wait try again, goes about 2 miles each time does it again. It was a very long trip to Ely, Nevada.
Boiled over once with me trying to climb the mountains in 4th to unload the bike, I was pretty loaded with gear, didn't help.
I took off the Radiator guards and fork guards, helped a little, but still overheating. What a disaster. Fan does not work as should but shouldn't mater at 50 or 60 mph plenty of hot wind going past the radiator.
Bottom line is I had to get the bike trucked back to Sacramento, and will taking to the dealer tomorrow. Trip busted.
Could be thermastat, water pump, fan certainly not doing much, the engine may be running too lean ( exhaust on the bike glows red), did the fix that BMW for the not starting hurt the ability to keep cool. I remember asking the mechanic about the valve adjustments and computer change that was required to get this bike to start. When I first bought this bike it stranded me 6 times before BMW fixed the starting problem.
Is this Chinese engine a problem, is this really a BMW 650 like the old 650 Dakar or is it fake.
We will see. I am going to try to hang in there with this bike, I have a considerable investment, I have but about $5000 in touratech farkle on this bike.
For now I am riding my KTM 520 EXC but it can not ride from Sacramento to Utah, that would be crazy.
It is going to be 110 degrees tomorrow.
I should have bought a KTM 990, still might have too.
We will see if BMW does what I bought the BMW for, great service and dependablity worldwide. Has not impressed me yet.

I have put 14,000 miles on the bike. It rides dirt about 30%, including dual sport rides going two up with my daughter, very fun. But the bike has too be dependable, has to start, has to not overheat.
Yikes. I am in Bakersfield CA it is well over 100 this week and my Sertao runs like crap in the heat. Yesterday I was on my way home from work and it ran very hot and was cutting out while riding almost like it was running out of gas. Not to mention the starting problems that the dealer keeps chalking up to poor battery maint (on 3rd battery in a year and the last one I had to pay for). I think it is complete BS. I am working on trading up to something else. My bottom line is I do not trust it to start in any weather and I now I am not sure about riding in the heat or desert. I am going on a ride to Oregon in August and really not sure if I will get stranded somewhere or not.
ScopeBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #2890
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeBite View Post
Yikes. I am in Bakersfield CA it is well over 100 this week and my Sertao runs like crap in the heat. Yesterday I was on my way home from work and it ran very hot and was cutting out while riding almost like it was running out of gas. Not to mention the starting problems that the dealer keeps chalking up to poor battery maint (on 3rd battery in a year and the last one I had to pay for). I think it is complete BS. I am working on trading up to something else. My bottom line is I do not trust it to start in any weather and I now I am not sure about riding in the heat or desert. I am going on a ride to Oregon in August and really not sure if I will get stranded somewhere or not.

From what ive read here & the other threads (800 & 1200) service is a hit or miss with BMW dealers. I've got one 5 miles away that I avoid like the plague just because of their attitudes. I ride an hour plus north just because the Denver dealer is so much more respectful.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #2891
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeBite View Post
The hot start problem is totally fixable. There is a bulletin about it. You show it to your dealer and he HAS to fix it. They just change the decompression lever with an updated one. So far 100% success. Don't take crap from them, have them fix it. Let me know if you need help locating the service bulletin.

This is not a rumor, this is fact. I've had mine fixed to.

I am not only the president, I am also a client...
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #2892
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I want to get the Denali D1 LED lights, but where the hell can I mount them where they won't stick out in the breeze too far and get clobbered in a get off?
I've been riding at night and in the wee hours of the morning lately in the fog and I'm worried I'm going to meet a moose
Old 07-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #2893
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Roos are interesting over here but being dive bombed by Wedge Tail Eagles, now that is beyond interesting into the concerning category
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #2894
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I'm gonna call Twisted Throttle this morning and ask them about mounting for the Denali D1's on our bike.
I want the lights tucked up in around the turn signal(s) area. Like a little bracket that bolts on at the signal mount and holds the light just down below said signal.
If no one makes this kind of mount, I can get ahold of a guy I know that specializes in custom fab for just about anything motor related. He can make up just what I want and powder coat it no problem.
I'll let you knows what I come up with.
And I think I'm going to get a Garmin Montana and use the TT above speedo mount kit and locking dock.
I was originally thinking Zumo, but now that I have the XR for dirty exploring, I could get a mount for it and use the Montana for it's off-road capabilities.
Any of you have a Montana yet?
I know this is a GPS question that should probably be asked elsewhere, but I trust in the Sertao boys the most for the goods
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #2895
Rordog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I'm gonna call Twisted Throttle this morning and ask them about mounting for the Denali D1's on our bike.
I want the lights tucked up in around the turn signal(s) area. Like a little bracket that bolts on at the signal mount and holds the light just down below said signal.
If no one makes this kind of mount, I can get ahold of a guy I know that specializes in custom fab for just about anything motor related. He can make up just what I want and powder coat it no problem.
I'll let you knows what I come up with.
And I think I'm going to get a Garmin Montana and use the TT above speedo mount kit and locking dock.
I was originally thinking Zumo, but now that I have the XR for dirty exploring, I could get a mount for it and use the Montana for it's off-road capabilities.
Any of you have a Montana yet?
I know this is a GPS question that should probably be asked elsewhere, but I trust in the Sertao boys the most for the goods
I have the Montana and really like it. I've got a TT mount above the speedo that I can't use, because I have to use bifocals.
Rordog is offline   Reply With Quote