User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #2896
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Pics from the road

Posting these before Swampy yells at me again!

I have the Montana, plus all the Touratech mounts, see it here. Its awesome:

I've used it to navigate all the way here: Mongolia:

Early morning camping near the Rockies in Wyoming:

Pulling over for a laptop break - i needed to look up the name of a hotel:

Tibetan cairn:

Camels with 2 humps:

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #2897
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795

nice!... but still no strippers (its ok i always forget to take pictures of the naked chics too)

thanks for sharing. im rooting for ya'

cool pictures nylon
i've always wanted to ride mongolia, it fascinates me. ill get there someday soon.

what map are you using for mongolia? i havent done any research on mongolia (other than reading books on the place), but i suppose there are gps maps available on the Net somewhere if you dig deep enough.

arent you doing something where you give clean wine to people living in areas that dont have clean wine ? how is that going?

where is your next stop ?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #2898
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
Question

KD,

did you ever fix that leaking water pump issue ?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #2899
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Open Source Maps have worked perfectly. They are free and even routable (turn left at the grassy knoll!). Here's the link: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Haha, yeah - please donate! We've raised a couple of k so far, but now i'm out here i'm going to put more effort into it. Link to donate here ;)

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #2900
ColoradoDirtRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hey guys,
My dad started with the Sertao last summer and upgraded to the f800 this summer which means I get to ride his Sertao! It handles so much better than my dirt bike at highway speeds, its incredible (although it has a lot less grunt than my dirt bike). My problem with the bike is its ergonomics. Im 6'4 with about a 36" inseam and i feel like the distance between the seat and foot pegs is way too close. After about an hour of riding I get this sharp pain that feels like ive pulled my inner groin. I wanted to get some opinions on seats. Im afraid the bmw high seat will be worthless for me as Ive read its soft (i weigh 225). The touratech seat looks nice but as a highschool student I cant justify the price tag. Any ideas or tips to be more comfortable on this bike? Sorry for all the spelling errors, Im on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
ColoradoDirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2901
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog View Post
I have the Montana and really like it. I've got a TT mount above the speedo that I can't use, because I have to use bifocals.
Do you want to sell the mount?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #2902
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
KD,

did you ever fix that leaking water pump issue ?
Yes, Max fixed it. Warranty baby
They said they've only heard of one other and it had some crazy miles on it.
I love this damn bike! Maybe we all have the little quirks ironed out now.
Did a ride with a group of guys last weekend and they were all pretty impressed with that little bastard.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2903
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDirtRider View Post
Hey guys,
My dad started with the Sertao last summer and upgraded to the f800 this summer which means I get to ride his Sertao! It handles so much better than my dirt bike at highway speeds, its incredible (although it has a lot less grunt than my dirt bike). My problem with the bike is its ergonomics. Im 6'4 with about a 36" inseam and i feel like the distance between the seat and foot pegs is way too close. After about an hour of riding I get this sharp pain that feels like ive pulled my inner groin. I wanted to get some opinions on seats. Im afraid the bmw high seat will be worthless for me as Ive read its soft (i weigh 225). The touratech seat looks nice but as a highschool student I cant justify the price tag. Any ideas or tips to be more comfortable on this bike? Sorry for all the spelling errors, Im on my phone.

You might be screwed young padawan learner. The "high" Dakar seat is a cool $280 and it goes up from there. Damn, you're big
I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the Dakar seat is just right. Another couple inches taller and I'd feel like I was on the stock seat again. You need custom I thinks
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #2904
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDirtRider View Post
Hey guys,

Maybe the high seat with a set of lowering pegs like the TT ones. Or the TT relocation brackets that move the pages back 2". Some bar risers will get you sitting up a little straighter also. All that stuff should starighten your hips a little more.
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #2905
ColoradoDirtRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black09JK View Post
Maybe the high seat with a set of lowering pegs like the TT ones. Or the TT relocation brackets that move the pages back 2". Some bar risers will get you sitting up a little straighter also. All that stuff should starighten your hips a little more.
Do the relocation brackets move the pegs down as well as back? I hate having long legs :(

Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #2906
bcinkc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Touratech doesn't really solve any problems for the financially challenged. I'd find a good upholstery shop that works with motorcycle seats and have them rework the stock one. I'm having the same debate right now, but for a different reason. I need a better seat design but can't really go any taller. Stock seat height is about all I can handle with a 30" inseam, but I can't stand the stock seat constantly pulling me forward. I'm going to try a local shop and see how much they can add at the front (including a layer of gel foam) without raising the overall height. I really just want to level the front with the back.
bcinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #2907
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,444
Has anyone had/heard of transmission problems with these bikes??

Either I'm losing my mind or I'm hearing noises reminiscent of a differential that's about to fail.. but, there's obviously no diff. I noticed it under load going down a cement highway.. only i was convinced it was just the tire noise. Then I really noticed it when I was just about to finish my ride.. popped it into neutral as I was rolling into the gate to flash my I.D. I heard this fairly obvious humming that I'm positive is new. Not very loud, but definitely there.

I have no shifting issues, and no abnormal vibrations.

I lowered my head to get closer to sound and am pretty sure its coming from under the seat region, and not the rear wheel.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #2908
ColoradoDirtRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinkc View Post
Touratech doesn't really solve any problems for the financially challenged. I'd find a good upholstery shop that works with motorcycle seats and have them rework the stock one. I'm having the same debate right now, but for a different reason. I need a better seat design but can't really go any taller. Stock seat height is about all I can handle with a 30" inseam, but I can't stand the stock seat constantly pulling me forward. I'm going to try a local shop and see how much they can add at the front (including a layer of gel foam) without raising the overall height. I really just want to level the front with the back.
I wonder if you can buy just the seat pan? I live in a very small town so if I could find an extra pan I'd try to make something on my own (we have no seat upholsters). I would hate not to ride this motorcycle but I just can't go for more than an hour. I'm pretty disappointed, you would think BMW has tall German test riders haha

Old 07-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #2909
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Posting these before Swampy yells at me again!

I have the Montana, plus all the Touratech mounts, see it here. Its awesome:

I've used it to navigate all the way here: Mongolia:

Early morning camping near the Rockies in Wyoming:

Pulling over for a laptop break - i needed to look up the name of a hotel:

Tibetan cairn:

Camels with 2 humps:
Those photos are so good I've had to show them again..........I like the cut of your jib Sir......!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #2910
Farmer Palmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
You might be screwed young padawan learner. The "high" Dakar seat is a cool $280 and it goes up from there. Damn, you're big
I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the Dakar seat is just right. Another couple inches taller and I'd feel like I was on the stock seat again. You need custom I thinks
I'm 6' 4" too and weigh around 100kg/220lbs and have a Dakar seat which cost me 40 secondhand here in the UK/Scotland so it was a cheap option.

You can also try some bar risers or at least rotate the handlebars forward a wee bit which may give you a bit more upper body room and shift your weight forward a bit instead of leaning back slightly.

Lower or adjustable footpegs are the next option i'll be looking at from Touratech and I hope they can give me a bit more legroom but I can ride the bike for a few hours without being too uncomfortable but i'm just a wee bit cramped compared to my 1200GSA.

FP.