Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #2926
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Not a Sertao but my 2007 rotax650 has been the same spec. for 85000km's
Thats awesome . VERY comforting. Maybe ill have the same luck...

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #2927
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I had my Sertao in for its first service today. $170. Yikes!

On the plus side, my TT pegs and bar risers were in. I got them installed this evening and can't wait to take the bike out after lunch tomorrow now. I'll have to hit some old dirt bike trails and see how the standing position has changed also.

The stock pegs are SO tiny.

I really want a steering damper now too.

Black09JK screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 10:13 PM
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #2928
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
TT pegs alone will not achieve much, if you check the positioning they are still forward of the swing arm pivot point so you are still loading up the front every time you launch up onto the pegs. The pegs need to be relocated, check the Dakar bikes of all brands and note where their pegs are mounted
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #2929
bcinkc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
Was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good battery for the Sertao, thats likely to start up even in very cold weather. Thanks a million for your time.

O'Malley
Lithium batteries are great, but not necessarily the best for cold weather. You have to have the key on for a few minutes for the battery to "wake up" in cold weather. I thought that my battery was dead any time it dropped below 40 degrees until I figured this little trick out. It's very counter-intuitive that you have to leave the key on if the bike doesn't want to start right away. I have the Shorai lithium. You'll swear that the thing is hollow because it's sooooo light!
bcinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #2930
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 596
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinkc View Post
Lithium batteries are great, but not necessarily the best for cold weather. You have to have the key on for a few minutes for the battery to "wake up" in cold weather. I thought that my battery was dead any time it dropped below 40 degrees until I figured this little trick out. It's very counter-intuitive that you have to leave the key on if the bike doesn't want to start right away. I have the Shorai lithium. You'll swear that the thing is hollow because it's sooooo light!
Personally, I'd put in a good AGM battery long before I' d shell out the $$$ for a Li battery. First, the stock charging system is not correct for most Li batteries which require a 14.4 V float voltage. LiFePO4 batteries charge at 13.6V. AGMs are very tough and reliable, are better at deep discharge and cold than normal wet cells. Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2 I've found: Scorpion and Motobatt. They are probably both made in the same factory in China. I wish Odyssey made one that fit, but they don't currently. Lots of folks talk about the Scorpion. Anyone have the MB12U?

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 02:01 PM
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #2931
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

my battery works fine. its a shorai lithium. its currently connected to the shorai storage/ charger thingy.

picture for ya.
somewhere in panama during a break in the rain.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #2932
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

i have jumped downed trees with this bike that were approximately 12 inches in diameter if that tells you anything. it can handle steep, rocky ATV trails. the only thing that it really hates are deep, soft, wet mud roads that have been supremely rutted out by bulldozers. honestly anything that you would encounter on a long ride on a heavy ADV bike this thing will handle and a lot more "if i have to situations". Its really all up to the rider. . and the tires , suspension, wheels aaannnd how much useless shit you strap to the back. .

i think that was a rant.. sorry.

to answer your question: yep handles this stuff great !

Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #2933
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Personally, I'd put in a good AGM battery long before I' d shell out the $$$ for a Li battery. First, the stock charging system is not correct for most Li batteries which require a 14.4 V float voltage. LiFePO4 batteries charge at 13.6V. AGMs are very tough and reliable, are better at deep discharge and cold than normal wet cells. Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2 I've found: Scorpion and Motobatt. They are probably both made in the same factory in China. I wish Odyssey made one that fit, but they don't currently. Lots of folks talk about the Scorpion. Anyone have the MB12U?
I have the Scorpion. So far, so good
Old 07-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #2934
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Has anyone had/heard of transmission problems with these bikes??

Either I'm losing my mind or I'm hearing noises reminiscent of a differential that's about to fail.. but, there's obviously no diff. I noticed it under load going down a cement highway.. only i was convinced it was just the tire noise. Then I really noticed it when I was just about to finish my ride.. popped it into neutral as I was rolling into the gate to flash my I.D. I heard this fairly obvious humming that I'm positive is new. Not very loud, but definitely there.

I have no shifting issues, and no abnormal vibrations.

I lowered my head to get closer to sound and am pretty sure its coming from under the seat region, and not the rear wheel.
Cooling fan...
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #2935
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
Was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good battery for the Sertao, thats likely to start up even in very cold weather. Thanks a million for your time.

O'Malley
Motobatt MB12U, 15 AH, $82. Fits like a glove and works great!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #2936
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Cooling fan...
Nope. Works well and makes no additional noise when it spins.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow... ill keep updating as I tinker with it.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #2937
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black09JK View Post

On the plus side, my TT pegs and bar risers were in. I got them installed this evening and can't wait to take the bike out after lunch tomorrow now. I'll have to hit some old dirt bike trails and see how the standing position has changed also.

I have the same Toutratech Works Low Footpegs. Only a quarter inch lower, but what a difference. No more cramped knees! I added to this the Touratech brake stop to lower the brake pedal and an adjustable shift lever to match. Comfortable!

I did install the RalleMoto steering damper. Feels good, but can't say it does much on the road, maybe on really big bumps. But, if you off-road, might be worth it for you. Expensive.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #2938
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
I have the MB12U. Very happy with it! I think $20 over the Scorpion is definitely worth the over 20% of extra capacity. This battery is advertised @ 15AH and, I think it delivers.

windowto screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:15 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2939
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Re the charging system, the Voltage Regulator which was used on the the F650GS and F twins was low in output as it was designed for the VRLA batteries from 10 years ago, the VR was upgraded by BMW but uses the same part number and the newer one has a higher voltage output to suit AGM and Lithium batteries, you can see the difference in pics here on Advrider in the "Another alternator hits the dust and not under warranty" thread by the F800 guys

My understanding is the later G Series and the Sertao have this later VR so it should be fine with Lithium and AGM
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #2940
mramosc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black09JK View Post

Hi Black09JK,

Did you have to change your brake line in order to fit the bar risers?
mramosc is online now   Reply With Quote