Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #2986
BalletBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Well, let Nylon know that DHL services Mongolia: Ulaanbaatar City, Erdenet and Darkhan. He can have parts shipped worldwide in a few days if need be.
Of course he may have to push the bike a few hundred miles to one of those cities first.

But honestly, give us the bike's symptoms and maybe we can all think of something to get him rolling again.
Perfect, thanks for the tip! Now trying to find the fiche no of his bike to order new clutch plates and send to Ulaanbaatar. I'm a newbie to biking so trying to figure out where to order this...
BalletBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #2987
BalletBiker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
BalletBiker,
What is wrong with nylons motor?
Does the bike run ?
Is there anything that we can do to help ?
He is now relatively safe! Just needs new clutch plates. I'm not sure where to begin with that...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #2988
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
Clutch plates are available from EBC and perhaps others, see the clutch repair page I have on line for more info
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #2989
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Giganova, no AGM does not like voltages over 15.5v, they are more resilient than the earlier VRLA batteries but the answer is to stop the over voltage as other electronic parts like dash assemblies etc can be damaged

I would spend the $ and go for a bigger capacity Lithium like the AntiGravity which has come up best in tests and relocate the VR to stop the overheating. I have been in extreme temperature conditions many times here and since I relocated the VR I have not had any over voltage situations.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #2990
BalletBiker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Clutch plates are available from EBC and perhaps others, see the clutch repair page I have on line for more info
Great found your online page on clutch repair. Thank you! It mentions that part #s for the G Series are unknown... Will take a closer look.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #2991
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 550
Will the sertao run on 85 octane, regular gasoline?

What real world mpg will the sertao do?

Have they been reliable motorcycles so far?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #2992
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Giganova, the Voltage Regulator overheats in hot temps mounted under the engine like that, we move them to the side of the engine as per the 650X models
Can I see a pic of that mod?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #2993
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Info is on this page http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/VRegulator.html
Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #2994
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks!
speaking of heat, I noticed something I thought strange last night when I took my son out for a little spin.... Real mellow cruise up to work. The temps were in the high 70's and we rode normal, speed limit speeds up to work and when we got there to the driveway and snicked it into 1st gear to putt along, we barely went 50' and the fan kicked on and I could feel the hot air at my knees.
I have a 4-stroke woods bike with a fan and it takes allot of abuse for that sucker to kick on. It seems not right that the fan would come on like that when I was in no way testing the engine.
Is this normal or am I tweaking again?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 AM   #2995
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

I have an orange LED on the fan circuit and initially it is surprising how often it comes on, heavy traffic, slow speeds like bush tracks in summer it comes on a lot. Get back onto open roads and higher speeds and off it goes. The cooling circuits are finely tuned.

What we dont know is whether the new fan on your model pumps more air than the one on our early models. In addition your model has different firmware to meet the next level of EU emissions standards so it will be running a little leaner and hence I would expect slightly hotter.

I have a stainless steel oil filter which increases oil flow and cooling from that circuit
Old 07-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #2996
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Wayne,
Just curious.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #2997
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletBiker View Post
Perfect, thanks for the tip! Now trying to find the fiche no of his bike to order new clutch plates and send to Ulaanbaatar. I'm a newbie to biking so trying to figure out where to order this...

This is what you are looking for (Clutch is under number 21):

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...aspx?vid=54065

BTW, if his clutch went already (I am assuming he is under 15000 miles), he might want to figure out why. Possible causes: 1) wrong (or contaminated) engine oil. 2) clutch cable too tight (clutch is slipping). 3) driving habits, - he might be slipping the clutch too much.

Or a combination of all of the above.

windowto screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 06:12 AM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #2998
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
Thanks!
speaking of heat, I noticed something I thought strange last night when I took my son out for a little spin.... Real mellow cruise up to work. The temps were in the high 70's and we rode normal, speed limit speeds up to work and when we got there to the driveway and snicked it into 1st gear to putt along, we barely went 50' and the fan kicked on and I could feel the hot air at my knees.
I have a 4-stroke woods bike with a fan and it takes allot of abuse for that sucker to kick on. It seems not right that the fan would come on like that when I was in no way testing the engine.
Is this normal or am I tweaking again?
KD,

Take a Valium Man. As you have pointed out many times, it's a small radiator, nicely tacked away. The small radiator needs help, when there is no airflow. You are fine. I would worry more, if the fan wasn't coming on.

Enjoy the bike. You have another two years of warranty. By then you'll get to know the bike's quirks and will make an informed decision whether to keep it or not. Now just enjoy riding and run to the dealer every time you run out of pills .
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #2999
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Will the sertao run on 85 octane, regular gasoline?

What real world mpg will the sertao do?

Have they been reliable motorcycles so far?
I would not use 85. The manual (page 106) specifies 91 ROZ/RON or 87 AKI (AKI is what is applicable to us in USA). I wouldn't go any lower than that. Mine runs just fine on 87.

My MPG is around 58 (going fast), 62 (mixed city and highway at moderate speeds), and about 70-72 (going at 50-60 MPH in fifth gear). BTW, it might be woth to know that the reserve light is quite accurate in reflecting the one gallon reserve. Unfortunately I had the chance to find out. So you can use your MPG for your style of riding to predict an approximate range in reserve. I am not suggesting to push it as a habit, this is just a piece of information that might prove useful. So, since my worst MPG has been 58, I know I have about 58 miles to find a gas station from the moment the light comes on.

Aside from the hot start problem, which had been fixed, mine has been really reliable so far (just over 4000 miles).

windowto screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 06:55 AM
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #3000
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Windowto, have not looked at the G Series owners manuals, what fuel do they specify for the G650GS ?

On the earlier F650GS and Dakar it seemed to be variable as to what was actually programmed rather than the manual spec