Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #3001
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Windowto, have not looked at the G Series owners manuals, what fuel do they specify for the G650GS ?

On the earlier F650GS and Dakar it seemed to be variable as to what was actually programmed rather than the manual spec
This is the manual that we get in the USA (page 106) specifies 91 ROZ/RON or 87 AKI (AKI is what is applicable to us in USA). Don't know what you guys use in Australia.

Here is the link to the manual: http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/RiderMan...12/G650GSS.pdf

Check out page 106, as numbered in the manual itself (it might be on page 108 of the PDF document).

windowto screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 07:10 AM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #3002
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
We get the EU models here, originally the single spark GS and Dakar F's were RON 95, then firmware was sorted out and there was the choice of RON 91 or 95 being the default. I had mine programmed for 91.

The dual sparks were RON 95 and we lost track of what was possible so I am surprised the Sertao is 91, in many ways that is good as it is the minimum grade to be expected in most places but I thought the G650GS was RON95
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #3003
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
We get the EU models here, originally the single spark GS and Dakar F's were RON 95, then firmware was sorted out and there was the choice of RON 91 or 95 being the default. I had mine programmed for 91.

The dual sparks were RON 95 and we lost track of what was possible so I am surprised the Sertao is 91, in many ways that is good as it is the minimum grade to be expected in most places but I thought the G650GS was RON95
BMW is marketing the bike as a "World Traveler", as such they are trying to make it more able to accept different lubricants and lower grade fuel. But, it seems that Nylon was able to find fuel of even lower grade with not such good results... I hope he makes it out of there before the piston welds itself to the cylinder.

windowto screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 07:39 AM
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #3004
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
... he probably got some gas with water in it. . or maybe he put diesel in it... or 2 stroke gas. just thinking out loud here.

also,
how in the hell is he going to get clutch plates mailed to outer-bunghole ?

lol,
he is definitely "adventure riding " now !

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #3005
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
... he probably got some gas with water in it. . or maybe he put diesel in it... or 2 stroke gas. just thinking out loud here.

also,

lol,
he is definitely "adventure riding " now !

If he is in Ulaanbaatar City he will have no issues getting Fed-ex or the like. U-city is a very modern place, large population .. all the normal things of a Western City of similar size.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3006
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalletBiker View Post
And now NyLON has broken down and in need of repair...got a satellite text from him. Anybody near Flaming Cliffs in Mongolia?
i thought he was in flaming cliffs ?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #3007
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i thought he was in flaming cliffs ?

About 300-400 miles from Ulaan Baatar. You had your tire hand delivered, I guess it will be something similar. Although he might be better off to truck the bike to Ulaan Baatar, while the parts are in transit, and have it fixed there.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #3008
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

yep yep

Ill bet'cha thats whats going to go down

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #3009
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Will the sertao run on 85 octane, regular gasoline?

What real world mpg will the sertao do?

Have they been reliable motorcycles so far?
I can't see your location but the 4ID avatar stands out.. are you that other temp-tagged Sertao i saw on Ft Carson last week? ??

Also, the bike does not like 85. I accidentally put some in last week and it ran "funny".

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #3010
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:

What, might we speculate, could have caused his clutch to fail?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #3011
Motopsychoman
Not a total poser

Oddometer: 500
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
What, might we speculate, could have caused his clutch to fail?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Multi-plate wet clutches are generally very reliable and usually forgiving. In high horsepower engines, often the springs get weak and the plates start to slip. Similarly, if there is no clutch lever/cable play, the plates may slip. A lot of times, the friction surfaces just get polished. Rouging them up can fix it (for a while).

What usually destroys clutches is running them dry (no oil) or some nasty contamination in the oil that destroys the friction material. There have always been rumors about certain synthetic oils causing this type of failure. I have used Mobil 1 in my bikes for decades now without ever having any clutch problems. The clutch in my Bandit 1200 is just now starting to slip when I whack the throttle open, but it's 15 years old and I expect that it's the springs finally going.

I've seen all kinds of clutch failures at the track, including such things as clutch baskets blowing chunks, drive gear rivets sheared off, input shaft nut coming off, roller bearing siezes. Unless there was a material defect, I doubt a G650GS at 50 BHP is ever going to fail like those.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Being restored: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 06:54 PM
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #3012
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
im going for a 1400km ride this weekend and i decided i wanted to protect the paint from getting scratched off road,

guess i wont be doing any flash photography around the bike now
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #3013
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbaxter View Post
im going for a 1400km ride this weekend and i decided i wanted to protect the paint from getting scratched off road,

guess i wont be doing any flash photography around the bike now
What did you use? I'd rock that just because CO drivers are batshit crazy here and I need maximum visibility.

I have no care for the paint.. I've got mine nice and uglied so far.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #3014
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
What did you use? I'd rock that just because CO drivers are batshit crazy here and I need maximum visibility.
white reflective vinyl :) the missus got a few meters of the stuff free from work and im trying to find out what else i can cover with the rest
ausbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #3015
BalletBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Multi-plate wet clutches are generally very reliable and usually forgiving. In high horsepower engines, often the springs get weak and the plates start to slip. Similarly, if there is no clutch lever/cable play, the plates may slip. A lot of times, the friction surfaces just get polished. Rouging them up can fix it (for a while).

What usually destroys clutches is running them dry (no oil) or some nasty contamination in the oil that destroys the friction material. There have always been rumors about certain synthetic oils causing this type of failure. I have used Mobil 1 in my bikes for decades now without ever having any clutch problems. The clutch in my Bandit 1200 is just now starting to slip when I whack the throttle open, but it's 15 years old and I expect that it's the springs finally going.

I've seen all kinds of clutch failures at the track, including such things as clutch baskets blowing chunks, drive gear rivets sheared off, input shaft nut coming off, roller bearing siezes. Unless there was a material defect, I doubt a G650GS at 50 BHP is ever going to fail like those.
Good to know. I don't know what specifically happened ... We can only speculate at this point... Thank you all for being so helpful!!
BalletBiker is offline   Reply With Quote