User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #3151
O'Malley
O'Malley

Oddometer: 22
Hey Guys,

I rarely post because I'm pretty sure I know the least about motorcycles. But just in case this helps someone else, I used my hazard lights on the Taconic Highway coming home late one night this week. I try not to ride at night but had to because of work, and I think the hazards made me way more visible to cars on the road that was more or less pitch black. Also I was very impressed with the Sertaos highbeam. The highway patrol gave me a double take, but didn't seem to mind. Just throwing it out in case its helpful.

O'Malley
O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #3152
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
alskee,
do the traverse pants have knee protection?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #3153
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
alskee,
do the traverse pants have knee protection?
Unfortanetly, it does not come with it but I opted to buy the D30 amor which is rated the best one. The pants have 2 zips on each side for air flow. It works great as long as your moving. But I really do like there new line up:

Klim Overland, it comes w/ amor and I heard that they took alot of feedback of riders. And they came up w/ the Overland suit.

http://youtu.be/g-K1rs05mkY
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #3154
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Unfortanetly, it does not come with it but I opted to buy the D30 amor which is rated the best one. The pants have 2 zips on each side for air flow. It works great as long as your moving. But I really do like there new line up:

Klim Overland, it comes w/ amor and I heard that they took alot of feedback of riders. And they came up w/ the Overland suit.

http://youtu.be/g-K1rs05mkY
i wear wear a traverse jacket and overland pants. i added armor to the traverse jacket, as (like the pants) the traverse line doesn't come with armor. Neither breathe that well, but i have zero doubt they would protect well in a crash. I had a minor low speed get off on the dirt and the stuff looks brand new still. The big difference, from what i can tell reading online, is that the traverse line is not quite as waterproof as the overland, even tho they are both goretex. I haven't tested this yet, though.
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #3155
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 672
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
alskee750,

Nice TAT report! The TAT, TCAT and the Alcan are all bucket-list items for me, hopefully to do more than once!
Go for the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy over the Alcan. It was beautiful scenery when I did it 27 years ago. It was all gravel then. Don't know about now. Then you can stop in Hyder AK and get Hyderized.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topi...wy37/hwy37.htm

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500

Motopsychoman screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 08:42 PM
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #3156
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
It is possible that you got water and other crud with that bad gas. It is not going to get purged just by pouring good gas in the tank. You would have to get the water out. Usually, fuel systems have "catch"- low points, like an old food catcher under the kitchen sink, so small amounts of water just stagnate there and don't go into the engine. For example, the fuel filter can hold some water in it below the flow line, while fuel, which is lighter, flows through the filter. When the bike is in motion, the water gets agitated and, some of it might get into the fuel stream and go to the engine. You might also have some unfriendly stuff in your spark plugs. I'd definitely check them. Also, to eliminate the simple, but not so obvious first, check to see that both your spark plug leads are securely on and don't have any water under the covers.

The only couple of things I can think of, is to check the rear brake light switch by the pedal and the side stand switch. You might have a torn wire, or water causing a short.

Nylon, glad to hear you are on the road again. I was off backpacking and wondering how you were doing.

Sounds more like an electrical or ECU problem to me. Check every darn connection for cleanliness and tightness. It could be something as simple as the side-stand circuit shorting out, but the fact that it happens more often under load or at high RPM makes me think ECU. Good tip on checking the coils (spark plug caps are actually the ignition coils). Also, checking the connections between the ignition coils and the ECU is warranted. I'll try to look into more ignition stuff today.

If it is water in the tank, a few ounces of methanol (dry-gas) will take care of it. If it is other gunk, you will have to find some fuel system cleaner with stronger solvents. Don't use too much as you have a very small tank.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #3157
KeepItUp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Low Cost Source For Tool Canister

I found this place to get cheap Tool/Manual Canisters. It's only $5 each for large size. I ordered 3. Shipping was about $8 to my place. I installed 2 on my Sertao and with slight modification they fit perfect inside the SW Motech panniers brackets below the muffler and converter. I have 1 extra for my sons Suzuki.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...70/&sid=&eid=/
Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #3158
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Go for the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy over the Alcan. It was beautiful scenery when I did it 27 years ago. It was all gravel then. Don't know about now. Then you can stop in Hyder AL and get Hyderized.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topi...wy37/hwy37.htm
Yeah, definitely something along those lines. It looks enticing to do that whole Haines Junction-Fairbanks-Anchorage-Haines Junction loop, too. Getting there via AlCan or Stewart-Cassiar makes for interesting choices. Maybe go up one way and come back down the other?

I just wish it were currently more a case of planning than dreaming. One day.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #3159
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Yeah, definitely something along those lines. It looks enticing to do that whole Haines Junction-Fairbanks-Anchorage-Haines Junction loop, too. Getting there via AlCan or Stewart-Cassiar makes for interesting choices. Maybe go up one way and come back down the other?

I just wish it were currently more a case of planning than dreaming. One day.
I did the BC Ferries/Alaskan Marine Hwy to Haines. Then Tok, Anchorage (bought REAL rain gear), Kenai, Fairbanks, Dalton Hwy, Chicken, Dawson City, Whitehorse, Hyder then cut across to do Jasper and Banff. 5+ weeks on a R80G/S.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #3160
Black09JK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItUp View Post
I found this place to get cheap Tool/Manual Canisters. It's only $5 each for large size. I ordered 3. Shipping was about $8 to my place. I installed 2 on my Sertao and with slight modification they fit perfect inside the SW Motech panniers brackets below the muffler and converter. I have 1 extra for my sons Suzuki.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...70/&sid=&eid=/
I picked up 4 from them last month. Had 2 mounted for a bit but they were shaking and bouncing and rattling way to much for me. I felt like I was going to lose them on the trail.

How did you mount yours to the racks?
Black09JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #3161
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
alskee,

did you carry any camping gear with you ?

what do you use ?

NYlon,

im sure you did. what are you using?

i use a hammock and a tarp.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #3162
dezqat
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sertao day one

Got my new Sertao yesterday (might just be the last of the 13's around these parts), and I can already tell I'm going to really like this bike for a long time. However, after only 100 miles I am already making a list. OK, I was making a list before I bought it, but I have added some priority items to that list... :) Those foot pegs are kind of pitiful and the mirrors remind me of my former FJ Cruiser's view out the back (or lack there of), so I'll be remedying those 2 things in short order. I wouldn't say I'm troubled by this but I am a bit perplexed by the high beam, it seems a bit fragmented, not a clean, solid beam; is that just me? And has anyone notice handlebar vibration? It's not severe but I imagine it could get annoying on a long trip.

So right now I'm just looking forward to completing the break-in and getting the first service done...
dezqat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #3163
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Front brakes = flushed and fixed. I keep my perches loose and if i fall sometimes the brake line gets pushed tight against the bark busters and that undoes the banjo bolt and the DOT fluid leaks out. 2nd time this has happened.

Misfiring/Electrics - I filled up with 94 octane, and rode 10k today, using the whole rev band. No misfires. Continue to wonder if its just as simple as low octane fuel.

Checked the side stand switch. I dont think its this, particularly as the issues have happened in neutral before, and the switch has no effect in neutral.

Wiggled all the wires on the bike, especially those connected to the GPS, nothing seems loose.

Spark Plugs - I have to remove 2 fairing panels, the snorkel, battery and the air box to get at them? Who designed this thing?

Just found out that the DHL shipment with new parts thats coming to me was sent regular mail instead of express, and so it will take 21 days to arrive, and not 5! I'm going to have to abandon the package and move on at this point.

Fingers crossed with the clutch and misfires, but I believe I fixed the former and the latter, honestly, seems to be slowly improving.

Swamp - No trees in Mongolia, so I use the Mountain Hardware Skyledge (2 person light weight tent). http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Skyl...efault,pd.html

In reality I could have got away with a bivvy bad for the few times I've camped (10 days in the US and 5 ish here). Hostels and showers are generally around the corner, and I could have saved a lot of weight. Same with stove, I could have skipped that too.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #3164
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
Ps. Can someone actually tell me the recommended way to change the sparks? Exactly what do i need to remove?

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #3165
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhb View Post
i wear wear a traverse jacket and overland pants. i added armor to the traverse jacket, as (like the pants) the traverse line doesn't come with armor. Neither breathe that well, but i have zero doubt they would protect well in a crash. I had a minor low speed get off on the dirt and the stuff looks brand new still. The big difference, from what i can tell reading online, is that the traverse line is not quite as waterproof as the overland, even tho they are both goretex. I haven't tested this yet, though.
i also have the Traverse jacket. Great jacket. it is the only Klim jacket owned, with that being said it does a great job on keeping you dry and warm on those colder mornings.
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote