Motopsychoman
Not a total poser

Oddometer: 326
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Well... lucky me it happens to be the cheapest thing TT sells, lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
Actually, from the picture it looks like it might be worth $31.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Being restored: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #3542
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 1,869

Hete you can see where the tabs broke

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #3543
DomEOD
'murica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The TT brace is only a partial fix, for the early models you can do better without buying the brace, I have a writeup on it

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/TailLightBrace.html

The best part of doing it this way is the tail light stays in place while you remove other plastic and parts around the rear end. Should work on the newer models

Ill have to do that for sure.

Thanks for tips guys!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #3544
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Steering Damper Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr3sb View Post
Thanks.

By any chance do you have a pic of your bike to see how it looks?
OK, as promised:

Don't pay attention to the metal piece above the damper. Has nothing to with the damper. I use this as the base for the magnetic case for my smartphone.

Note where I cut the black plastic panel just behind the base of the pin.

In this side-view you can see I kept the front part of the plastic cover. The base of the pin has cylindrical protrusions around the screw halls that seat solidly against the frame. I had to enlarge the two front screw halls to accommodate the base for metal to metal contact. Once the plastic piece is cut, it flexes forward and allows for a convenient overlap. I glued a rubber seal on the bottom part.

View from the front

windowto screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 06:40 AM
windowto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #3545
DomEOD
'murica

My first truly almost lost it moment.. no warning at all. Front tire just kinda did what it wanted out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8-...e_gdata_player

Old 08-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #3546
nylon2000
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
DomEOD - i have the license plate brace as well, after the same happened, also recommend you zip tie the light assembly to the rear of the luggage rack. THAT has held mine together for over 15,000 miles with no issues, on a single set of zip ties.

The expedition
About the bike
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #3547
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
My first truly almost lost it moment.. no warning at all. Front tire just kinda did what it wanted out of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8-...e_gdata_player

Nice save! But, it seems to me that it is the rear, not the front slid from under you. It looks like the front was responsive on counter-steering and tracking where pointed at all times. It does make sense, since you were going through a gentle curve. Of course, I wasn't there... Glad you were able to hang on!

Edit: Looking at it again now, starting to look like maybe the front after all;))). You are off the hook

windowto screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 03:16 PM
Old 08-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #3548
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Some goodies.

Here is my ride with the Renazco seat, gaiters, steering damper, and some other good stuff here and there.

Gaiters: no overheating to report thus far, highway or city traffic up to mid nineties.

Renazco seat: Definitely moved the support from the middle to the sides, but feels pretty firm. Harder to reach the ground (I am 6 feet tall). Need to go on longer trips to decide whether it was worth it.

Steering damper: smooth action at the bars. Need to go off-road to see the full effect. Unfortunately, don't know of any good places to go in the Northern NJ area. Does give a little more confidence on big road bumps/potholes because it has the "High Speed Impact" valve, which dampens the steering in response to sudden big hits. If you go only road, I don't think it is worth the money and the effort. If you do what Swamp, Nylon, and Alskee do, you should definitely get one.

Intiminators: Again, need more off-road testing, but I think I am keeping them. Initially bought HyperPro progressive springs with some improvement in brake dive, but chose the intiminators in the end. This is highly personal. Since the progressive springs and intiminators didn't work well together (for my weight), I am back on stock springs with just the intiminators. Now, if you are interested, you can have my HyperPro springs for a $100 (plus shipping, firm) . They only have a few hundred road miles on them. Touratech charges $200 for them, and I paid $170 plus shipping. The reasons I chose HyperPro and not the Progressive Susupension springs were that HyperPro lists the springs specifially for Sertao, Progressive Suspension lists them for the Dakar only. Also, the progressive part of the HyperPro springs is wound much more gradually then the PS springs. The initial part of the travel is just as plush as the stock spring.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #3549
Motopsychoman
Not a total poser

Oddometer: 326
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Here is my ride with the Renazco seat, gaiters, steering damper, and some other good stuff here and there.

Gaiters: no overheating to report thus far, highway or city traffic up to mid nineties.

Renazco seat: Definitely moved the support from the middle to the sides, but feels pretty firm. Harder to reach the ground (I am 6 feet tall). Need to go on longer trips to decide whether it was worth it.

Steering damper: smooth action at the bars. Need to go off-road to see the full effect. Unfortunately, don't know of any good places to go in the Northern NJ area. Does give a little more confidence on big road bumps/potholes because it has the "High Speed Impact" valve, which dampens the steering in response to sudden big hits. If you go only road, I don't think it is worth the money and the effort. If you do what Swamp, Nylon, and Alskee do, you should definitely get one.

Intiminators: Again, need more off-road testing, but I think I am keeping them. Initially bought HyperPro progressive springs with some improvement in brake dive, but chose the intiminators in the end. This is highly personal. Since the progressive springs and intiminators didn't work well together (for my weight), I am back on stock springs with just the intiminators. Now, if you are interested, you can have my HyperPro springs for a $100 (plus shipping, firm) . They only have a few hundred road miles on them. Touratech charges $200 for them, and I paid $170 plus shipping. The reasons I chose HyperPro and not the Progressive Susupension springs were that HyperPro lists the springs specifially for Sertao, Progressive Suspension lists them for the Dakar only. Also, the progressive part of the HyperPro springs is wound much more gradually then the PS springs. The initial part of the travel is just as plush as the stock spring.

Who makes the gaiters? I've looking for advice on which ones work on the Tao.
Thx.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Being restored: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3550
windowto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
Who makes the gaiters? I've looking for advice on which ones work on the Tao.
Thx.
I bought mine from Wunderlich at a hefty $79 USD. It hurts to pay so much for a couple of rubber accordions, but when I saw how they fit, I was happy with my decision. Wunderlich sells a kit (gaiters and fork brace) for about $160, but I bought only the gaiters from them for $79 (same part, marketed for another F650), and a fork brace from Happy trails for $20.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #3551
MisterMaster
boob

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

That's a beautiful bike (hence worth the repost ^^). Nice pick. There is a 2009 for sale here in Korea, 13,000km, looks like it's never been off road, for about 6G. They're rare here.

A buddy here with whom I regularly ride has the 650xmoto, which essentially is the same bike but a motard version. We change up sometimes and it is a blast to ride. Very tall for me, even with 17s, so I can imagine what the xchallenge must be like!

Totally different bike, but what there are many of here for good deals, are the 450x beemers, both the motard and off road versions... Anyone here have experience with that model?
MisterMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #3552
MisterMaster
boob

Oddometer: 16
Any of these three machines would be fun to drive!

A combination that has likely never been posted before:

An Xmoto, a Sertao, and a Unimog together. (This is in a parking lot in Pyeongtaek, Korea)
MisterMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #3553
DomEOD
'murica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
DomEOD - i have the license plate brace as well, after the same happened, also recommend you zip tie the light assembly to the rear of the luggage rack. THAT has held mine together for over 15,000 miles with no issues, on a single set of zip ties.

First i used two bungie cords to strap it in place. Then I went out for zip ties... 500 miles later I forgot the zip ties, lol. But the bungies did keep it place. I'll definitely be zip tieing it getting that TT brace asap.

-------

Speaking of the 500 miles today.. holy crap. My lower back was killin me. I can deal with the soar butt and squished legs, but not the back.

Anybody switch seats for the sake of back pain?? What did you go with?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #3554
DomEOD
'murica

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Nice save! But, it seems to me that it is the rear, not the front slid from under you. It looks like the front was responsive on counter-steering and tracking where pointed at all times. It does make sense, since you were going through a gentle curve. Of course, I wasn't there... Glad you were able to hang on!

Edit: Looking at it again now, starting to look like maybe the front after all;))). You are off the hook

Haha.. either way it got my heart rate up pretty quick. That was my first oh shit moment on an MC.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #3555
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
wrong oil?

So I picked up my bike from the dealer today from having the 600 mile run-in service performed. The service dept is closed today, but I didn't even notice this little gem of a detail til I got home so I couldn't ask anyways. On the repair order invoice (the thing the cashier printed out for me), says they used "BMW SYNTH ENG OIL 15W50".
Now, I thought the manual says BMW recommends NOT using synthetic oil until at least 6,000 miles. I wonder if the tech forgot which service he was performing and used the Synthetic oil??
Question, is this a big enough deal for me to take the bike back and have them drain the synthetic and replace with regular oil? I anticipate them telling me when I call it's either no big deal or that it was a typo. Should I insist they change the oil??? I really have no faith in the honesty of car OR motorcycle service departments, so my feeling is they'll keep the bike a day, do nothing, and tell me they changed it. Thoughts?
Thanks! Yes, I posted this in the G650GS thread, as I'm trying to get alot of good opinions. :-)
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote