Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #3586
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
I'm back with more questions!

I seem to have lost the BMW badge that was covering the hole under the bars at some point this weekend. How important was it? Purely asthetic. The older bikes had nothing covering that hole.

Also, what in the world is this thing just dangling around? Looks like some kind of socket but I'm clueless. Your bikes connection to the outside world. Connects to a BMW computer.
There should be a yoke type plastic bracket just above the radiator where it clips in.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #3587
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,371
Cool!

Thanks aquatic!

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #3588
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
I have the TT 34mm risers and did the +3cm front brake line. Not sure if I could have gotten away without it. TT said to run it so I did it.

what is this Extender you guys are talking about ?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #3589
Hunter-Douglas
rube

Oddometer: 354
Tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
what is this Extender you guys are talking about ?
I believe it's the +3cm brake line, which unfortunately, TT wants $100 bucks for (yikes). Given that one or two people seem to have made it work via brake positioning adjustment, I think I'll give that a shot first. It seems like the throttle cable has to be rerouted no matter what.

I'm 6"4 with a +2" seat, so hopefully the risers will do nothing but good things.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #3590
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter-Douglas View Post
I believe it's the +3cm brake line, which unfortunately, TT wants $100 bucks for (yikes). Given that one or two people seem to have made it work via brake positioning adjustment, I think I'll give that a shot first. It seems like the throttle cable has to be rerouted no matter what.

I'm 6"4 with a +2" seat, so hopefully the risers will do nothing but good things.
Swamp went another route so he wouldn't need the extender
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3591
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

not sure.
tell me if this sounds correct:

i have the yamaha yz forks , the yz master cylinder, caliper, fork clamps steering, yz bearings which all slides into the bmw bearing races on the frame.

theoretically, i should not need a longer front brake cable. . right ?

i did notice that while the forks are at full extension the brake line gets pretty tight. on the yz forks the line wraps down below the front axle through a guide. i think if i need extra length i could just undo that and zip tie whatever slack is left to the bike somewhere..

oh i just found this, im sure that it will help those of you who are wanting to do the yz fork conversion. This is a screen shot of my e-bay shopping cart

i found everything that was needed for the conversion at once (talk about getting lucky). this is basically your "shopping list" for doing the fork conversion.

YES YOU TOO can YZ your Sertao (..and cover the speedometer with duct tape because it doesnt work anymore..) for under the price of an Arai helmet !

swamp screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 08:37 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3592
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
YES YOU TOO can YZ your Sertao (..and cover the speedometer with duct tape because it doesnt work anymore..) for under the price of an Arai helmet !
This gave me a laugh. Thanks for the screenshot, Swamp. That's a helpful resource to have.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3593
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,371
Is it really impossible to get the speedo back after the fork conversion?

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #3594
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Re the socket referred to above for diagnostics, you can read about the diagnostics system here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/Diagnostics.html

A bluetooth GS911 is a handy tool when out on the road and fault finding but dont get caught out with the chinese clones

There is also a chance that a scan gauge would work on the GS http://www.scangauge.com/ The BM's are basically OBDII on the diagnostics but the 650GS is probably the least compliant due to the Hella ECU and the age of the design. BMW use Bosch ECU's on most of the rest of the range in line with what they do on the cars. One of the S1000RR guys has the Scan Gauge working on his machine and has a write up on it over on the S1000RR forum

I will test a scan gauge one day when time permits
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #3595
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Called 2 dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
DesertDav,

I don't know anything about BMW owning BP stock but, I think you should be fine with the oil:)
Windowto,
so I thought about this oil thing all weekend so I called the dealer on Monday and asked what the deal was with the synthetic oil on the 600 mile run-in service. He sort of fumbled around with an answer but bottom line told me that's what BMW is telling the dealers to use. He didn't say the word semi-synthetic, but straight synthetic. And at first, he said the change was for post 2012 g650gs's but then changed it to anything 2010 or later. ???
Anyways, I triple verified it today by calling another dealer in my area, and this time he was better equipped to answer my questions.
The 2nd dealer said the change was due to BMW changing from Spectro oil to Castrol. He said yes, the 15W50 is what they're supposed to use...period. He says they call it "semi-synthetic", because they're not really sure WHAT's in that jug-o-oil with Castrol. He said they're just playing it safe by calling it semi-synthetic. Of course, I couldn't get either guy to agree that running synth in a new bike is weird. Hey, I'd want to keep MY job too, I guess!
So...anyone here got a problem running Castrol in their bikes? Because that's what's going in them if you get your bike serviced at the dealer.
Thanks guys.
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #3596
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

this is what i put in mine.

when i got to panama i put this in it

Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3597
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Swamp- did you ever look into how to keep the speedo drive with the yz setup or is it just not doable?
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #3598
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Hi beerbuzz have we met before ? Where in Alabama are you?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #3599
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Swamp, I recall someone doing a KTM conversion getting it to work? It's in here somewhere if you search. Unfortanetly, you dont have the moto around so you cant make the changes and I assume your happy w/ it as it is? I think I would go bananas if it didn't work as I'm anal to anything electrical.

Aha! Found it..

From Tempered-lobster:

Quote:
Speedo is fixed and working I haven't had time to do a walk through, but basically take the abs unit. Undo the 4 torx bolts and remove the plastic box on top. Discard the main metal abs unit (all the weight is in this). Inside the plastic box are 4 electro magnets, cut these off as close to the board inside as you can. Make a stainless or aluminium back plate with 4 bolt holes to match the plastic box (the box has a silicon ribbon to waterproof it). Put the back plate on, tighten up the bolts, reattach the abs connector to the wiring loom, attach the box to the bracket where the abs was located, and bam, working speedo.

After talking to contacts at BMW HQ, the dakar abs pass through method will never work. The ABS unit takes the signal from the back wheel, and electronically alters it before passing it to the speedo and BMSC.
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #3600
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Swamp, I recall someone doing a KTM conversion getting it to work? It's in here somewhere if you search. Unfortanetly, you dont have the moto around so you cant make the changes and I assume your happy w/ it as it is? I think I would go bananas if it didn't work as I'm anal to anything electrical.

Aha! Found it..

From Tempered-lobster:
Has anyone actually put the ABS unit on a scale to see what it weighs?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote