Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #526
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,309
Starting issues: The stock battery is pretty much junk on these, even with the BMW stamp on it. I replaced mine with Extreme Magna AGM and I have not had a single issue in almost two years (and it sat without a trickle charge for two months).

Insurance: Same here. For some reason, BMWs are cheaper. I priced a R1150R the other day and it was cheaper than a 620 Multi, 650 Strom, and 1000 Strom.

ABS: They switched to Analog on the singles. It works fine for me (used it twice when someone pulled in front of me). It sucks off road and should be switched off as soon as you see loose pavement. The first time off road, a truck pulled in front of me. I hot the rear brake to do a little trail braking, and it just kept going, pulsating like crazy. You have to be stopped to switch it off, so I make it a point to stop before entering the trails or Class VI roads, and switch it off.

Max BMW: yes, they ship. Also, check out National Powersports in Pembroke, NH. they ship nationwide for cheap. Sometimes they have good deals on bikes too.

The reason I like the 09 better is because of the spoke wheels. I would not ride dirt on cast, period. But that is just me. Also, the beak on the 09 is more aesthetically pleasing to me.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #527
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I got quoted 8655 after tax and all fees at the local dealer for a 2012 g650gs.

Basically comes down to spending 4000 dollars to switch to a bike with ABS, and better comfort. The gas savings will pay for the insurance.

Other adds I could just do on the dr, heated grips, cast wheels, softer grips, smooth out throttle. All this would cost about 1200 and maybe 10 hours of time.

So it comes down to is ABS and less vibes worth $2600 on a commuter bike? 7.6% of a year of my wages. I could sell my ffxi account for that much probably. I think that's a good trade.

Also, some of you guys have to have ridden both the old F and the new G... can anyone tell me if the ABS is no better on the G than the old F?

Chattanooga dealer quoted me 9.2k O_O!

shaddix screwed with this post 05-18-2012 at 11:07 AM
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #528
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
What happens, it turns over but doesn't catch?
it turns and sometimes there is a compression bump but it won't start. Dealer says it is a hot start issue and they told me to bring it and they will solve the issue.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #529
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Shaddix, Don't waste time trying to justify buying a bike by comparing dollars and numbers. Take it from someone that likes to get new motorcycles. Just be honest with yourself like I do. I bought it because I wanted it.

Insurance companies must like BMWs. I have a 2009 HD Street Bob I paid less than $14,000 for and my 2009 BMW GSA cost about $18,000 and the BMW is much cheaper to insure? Go figure.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #530
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
I haven't ridden an old F enough to tell if the ABS is improved, but in my opinion the new Sertao (and hence G650) has a great ABS system, worst case scenario you can just turn it off with a switch (when stopped).

Creeping up on 1000km and loving the Sertao more every day. Planning on heading up to Inuvik this summer so that should be another 10,000km test.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #531
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
From what I gather it is essentially the same ABS system but BMW switched from digital to analog control of the inlet valves to smooth out the on/off pulsing feeling at the lever that the digital system imparted. Here's what Motorcyclist says of it, which mirrors my feelings:

Quote:
The brakes are effective, although the ABS is overly cautious. Disable the system by holding down the button on the left switch cluster and your stopping distances will improve.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi...#ixzz1vGvcfA9S
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #532
shaddix
Banned

looking at the parts it appears the f650 single had a 5.5lb modulator and the g650 has one that's a little under 3lbs

F650:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...4&rnd=05012012
G650:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=05012012

Also the diagrams don't make sense to me because if you click on the brake pipe rear abs diagram for the G650, it then shows the F650 modulator part instead of the G650 one

If you look here at the modulator for the 04-07 dakar:
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=34_1049

down at the bottom it says that it fits the F800ST and a couple other bikes. I went to look at the F800ST and the modulator is a different part number, so not sure why it says that it will fit..

I sent some emails to bmw corporate, they referred me to contact dealers. I contacted a couple of dealers and none of them had any clue if the G650GS ABS is any different than the F650 single ABS. I'm waiting for another response back from BMW corporate

Thoroughly confused at this point
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #533
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,309
Realistically, you are not going to use the ABS enough to be bothered by the potential pulsations. If you feel pulsations every time you brake, you need to go back to learning how to ride. There, I said it, hate me if you want to.

I spent twenty years on bikes without ABS and I never locked up a tire unless it was part of driving class, or on the trail, or intentionally. As stated previously, I did use the ABS on the Beemer twice, when people pulled in front of me, but that could be because the system is sensitive. The ABS has no business pulsating unless you are in a shit-hit-the-fan scenario, and then a little pulsation at the pedal is the least of your worries.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #534
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Realistically, you are not going to use the ABS enough to be bothered by the potential pulsations. If you feel pulsations every time you brake, you need to go back to learning how to ride. There, I said it, hate me if you want to.

I spent twenty years on bikes without ABS and I never locked up a tire unless it was part of driving class, or on the trail, or intentionally. As stated previously, I did use the ABS on the Beemer twice, when people pulled in front of me, but that could be because the system is sensitive. The ABS has no business pulsating unless you are in a shit-hit-the-fan scenario, and then a little pulsation at the pedal is the least of your worries.

The point is the ABS kicks in far too easily in wet conditions, locking up the wheel even if you didn't brake hard, especially the back. My TDM's ABS system was much more sophisticated and I hardly ever activated it even braking really fucking hard. There, I said it
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #535
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Shaddix, after having all the motorcycles that you have mentioned, DR650, V-Strom 650, and the BMW 650 Sertao (mine is a Dakar), I would say that I enjoyed them all. The V-Strom 650 is by far the bike of choice for pavement and hard packed dirt roads, but the Dakar (Sertao) would be my next choice a better off road bike and a little less comfort for the highway, and you know about the DR650, much more off road and I would not want to ride the highway all day on it.

If I was going to spend $4000 I would look at a second bike, you can buy a nice V-Strom in the $4000-$5000 range and have a bike for each type of riding needs. When it comes to insurance I know from past experiences that V-Strom insurance is higher, I assume it's because of it's little brother the SV650 "Rice Rocket". Plus remember when you insure two bikes you get a second bike discount and for myself through Progressive is is very little more, check it out with your agent. Just a thought.

Like someone said above, don't do so much figuring all the angles on buying a bike, you will most likely come home with a bike you didn't want in the first place. One thing about owning a BMW is that maintenance cost at the dealer is expensive, but everyone I ride with either does their own or has a tech in the BMW Club that will do it at a third of the dealership cost. I know that warranty is important to you and BMW will give you three years, but if you buy and V-Strom you probably won't even need one, that's because of the three riders that I ride with who have V-Strom's have never had to go back to the dealer for any repairs. V-Strom's first valve adjustment is 15,000 miles. Good Luck on your choice of bikes.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #536
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Insurance companies must like BMWs. I have a 2009 HD Street Bob I paid less than $14,000 for and my 2009 BMW GSA cost about $18,000 and the BMW is much cheaper to insure? Go figure.
My guess would be that they don't get crashed as much. Also, I read somewhere that more Suzuki GSX-R 600s get stolen in a year than the entire BMW line-up combined.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #537
shaddix
Banned

I have some speculation on how they fixed the ice patch effect over bumps for the f800r. That pressure sensor on the front brake has a threshold before it allows the rear wheel lift detection to release the front. So that eliminates the ice patch during normal braking over bumps.

This is all speculation though, but it makes the f800r a lot more attractive. Do the f twin gs bikes have the pressure sensor too?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #538
tinpusher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
What add on protection?

First of all I have read every post in this thread and want to thank you all for being an incredible resource. I'm going down tomorrow to pick up a new Sertao and was wondering what extra protection to install. I rode a lot 20 years ago and am just getting back into it. My aim is touring with a 50/50 pavement to dirt road ratio. I am not hard core off road but fully expect to lay her down a few times while I remember how to ride again. What are the must have protectors to install? I like the looks of the Touratech accessories and am considering:
1) Engine Crashbar
2) Fairing Crashbar
3) Radiator Guards
4) Alumnium Skid Plate
5) Centerstand

Too much? Something missing?
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #539
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
First of all I have read every post in this thread and want to thank you all for being an incredible resource. I'm going down tomorrow to pick up a new Sertao and was wondering what extra protection to install. I rode a lot 20 years ago and am just getting back into it. My aim is touring with a 50/50 pavement to dirt road ratio. I am not hard core off road but fully expect to lay her down a few times while I remember how to ride again. What are the must have protectors to install? I like the looks of the Touratech accessories and am considering:
1) Engine Crashbar
2) Fairing Crashbar
3) Radiator Guards
4) Alumnium Skid Plate
5) Centerstand

I have the center stand and the headlight guard from TT, the stock aluminum skid plate is actually pretty good. The other change i did and love is swaping the stock seat for the higher Dakar seat, much more comfortable in my opinion.

Congrats on the purchase you won't be sorry.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #540
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
1) Engine Crashbar
2) Fairing Crashbar
3) Radiator Guards
4) Alumnium Skid Plate
5) Centerstand

Rugged Roads in the UK sells very nice and reasonably priced aluminum guards for the radiator, chain, rear brake, brake master cylinder, brake reserve, and ABS sensor.
http://www.ruggedroads.co.uk/shop/ca...aram=cid%3D%26

Can also recommend SW-Motech's crash bar and skid plate. Now using both. As has been mentioned, the stock skid plate is pretty tough. I changed mine out because the SW-Motech plate has a hole to change the oil ... and looks cooler

Hepco & Becker's engine guard gives excellent protection as well, had it on my last GS. Also makes a decent foot rest http://www.sportmotogear.com/Product....912%2000%2009

Hepco & Becker's center stand is very easy to use
2006 Djebel 250XC