Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #541
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
If you plan on riding like me, you may want some additional crash bars. I'm actually impressed just how easy it is to pick the Sertao up.

Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #542
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher View Post
First of all I have read every post in this thread and want to thank you all for being an incredible resource. I'm going down tomorrow to pick up a new Sertao and was wondering what extra protection to install. I rode a lot 20 years ago and am just getting back into it. My aim is touring with a 50/50 pavement to dirt road ratio. I am not hard core off road but fully expect to lay her down a few times while I remember how to ride again. What are the must have protectors to install? I like the looks of the Touratech accessories and am considering:
1) Engine Crashbar
2) Fairing Crashbar
3) Radiator Guards
4) Alumnium Skid Plate
5) Centerstand

Too much? Something missing?
In order: Centerstand, pannier rack, engine guard, fairing guard and then skid plate. The centerstand makes a lot of things easier, and my pannier rack takes a lot more hits than anything aftermarket. The bar ends & hand protectors do help stop the damage to the engine and fairing.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #543
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Just to let you know if you didn't know, the backordered Touratech BMW 650 GS, Sertao, and Dakar Lower Front Fender is now available from Touratech.
John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #544
tinpusher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Center stand question.

Thanks for the replies. Before I order the center stand I have a stupid question. I have a 30" in seam and am on toes as it is standing over bike. Am I better off with the stock side stand? I envision myself with both legs dangling unable to reach the ground.
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #545
biscuit000
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Height doesn't matter for the center stand as you put it up and take it down while off the bike.
biscuit000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #546
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Before I order the center stand I have a stupid question. I have a 30" in seam and am on toes as it is standing over bike. Am I better off with the stock side stand? I envision myself with both legs dangling unable to reach the ground.
30" inseam here too.

The center stand doesn't care because you're going to be putting it down when you're off the bike.

Give it a little bit of time (you figure out the dampening of the suspension when stopping) and a good pair of boots, then the tippy toes issue goes away on the street.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #547
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
I have the Hepco & Becker center stand and am using the Dakar seat. 30" inseam and no problem rolling the bike off the center stand while seated on the bike.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #548
Durden
Freak!

How many miles/km are people getting on their Sertao, after 1000km I'm getting about 250km (156mi) until reserve, based on the 14L tank, of which 4L is reserve I calculated:

10L to go 250km (156mi)
4L to go 100km (63mi)
-----
14L (full tank) to go 350km (219mi)

To me that is really good range, however, I haven't run my take entirely dry yet, I'm thinking that is bad for the fuel injection system.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #549
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Just to let you know if you didn't know, the backordered Touratech BMW 650 GS, Sertao, and Dakar Lower Front Fender is now available from Touratech.
John
Touratech recieved the low front fenders last week. I will have mine by tomorrow. Must have. Otherwise mud spits on my legs and up onto headlight. Max BMW should get some more service personel. My bike isn't going in for service on the hot start issue till the 15th! Crazy. I went for a ride the other day with my buddy who has an F800. He could not go where I could with my sweet little single. I sometimes think I would have been fine with the KTM 690 but I think I made the right choice.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #550
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdennan View Post
My bike isn't going in for service on the hot start issue till the 15th! Crazy.
Odd that this is an issue now but never was for years before despite being supposedly the same basic engine.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #551
tinpusher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
I'm going down tomorrow to pick up a new Sertao and was wondering......
I should have said "I'm going down tomorrow fully intending on buying a new Sertao". The dealer had a used F800GS fully farkled already and with the lower seat option the Sertao does not offer. To make a long story short my 30" inseam chose to buy the bigger/lower bike. I guess I'm headed over to http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Thanks again
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #552
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
I should have said "I'm going down tomorrow fully intending on buying a new Sertao". The dealer had a used F800GS fully farkled already and with the lower seat option the Sertao does not offer. To make a long story short my 30" inseam chose to buy the bigger/lower bike. I guess I'm headed over to http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Thanks again
Nice! Cant go wrong with a 800GS, enjoy the new ride, sorry to see you leave the Sertao group.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #553
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Sold my Tiger 955i and bought the Sertao.

I've already put 1100 miles on it and REALLY am 100% happy with the purchase, not to mention I just love the amount of haters this bikes has and none of the haters seem to have a real complaint other than the usual " coulda shoulda" crap.

This is my first single cylinder bike though and took me a bit to get used to it since I've mostly been on super bikes and large displacement Dual purpose.

Zippy, feels lighter than it is and 65 MPG dream even at freeway speeds of 75 mph. I imagine I could get the claimed 70+ if I rolled the throttle back a bit.

I've got the usual add-on already on order, crash bars and the like.

Anyway .. I'm digging it !
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #554
Hike&ride
Exploration Born

Oddometer: 11
New Sertao Owner!

Ive actually owned this bike for over a month, but i have been so busy and my computer decided to die i havent been able to post about it. Anywho. i love the bike! its my first dual sport and so far no real complaints other than the seat making me slide forward while riding, and the Hot start issue was a pain, but i took it in last week and it works perfect everytime. I can actually get gas and start the bike now!

I have already bought and put on a pair of happy trail bags, that i love. and hopefully comming today is touratechs wider kickstand base. trying to figure out what tire to go with next? i tried to take this bike on some sand and i basically ended up like Durden did, No scratches thankfully.

I saw some post about MPG, i just filled mine up and at about 160-170 miles i hit the reserve. This bike is my everyday transportation rain or shine and mostly flat and straight ( ) and average speed of 50mph, if that helps.

Pictures are soon to come!
Hike&ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #555
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hike&ride View Post
Ive actually owned this bike for over a month, but i have been so busy and my computer decided to die i havent been able to post about it. Anywho. i love the bike! its my first dual sport and so far no real complaints other than the seat making me slide forward while riding, and the Hot start issue was a pain, but i took it in last week and it works perfect everytime. I can actually get gas and start the bike now!

I have already bought and put on a pair of happy trail bags, that i love. and hopefully comming today is touratechs wider kickstand base. trying to figure out what tire to go with next? i tried to take this bike on some sand and i basically ended up like Durden did, No scratches thankfully.

I saw some post about MPG, i just filled mine up and at about 160-170 miles i hit the reserve. This bike is my everyday transportation rain or shine and mostly flat and straight ( ) and average speed of 50mph, if that helps.

Pictures are soon to come!
I am very interested to hear what your dealer did for the hot start issue. I have the same problem and it is still unresolved after two trips to the dealer. Starts fine, drive a few miles to the nearest gas station, and the damn thing won't start or takes many cranks to start. I don't like that sinking feeling that I am going to be stranded again.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote