Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #691
MrZip2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip2 View Post
Took the bike in for the 600 mile check & mentioned to the service manager that oil continously seeped from the oil (dip stick) cap. He contacted BMW who told him to replace the oil tank - apparently there was a bad batch of oil tanks that did not allow the filler cap to line up to make a tight seal. If you notice this make sure to get the tank replaced - another one of those issues BMW knows about but won't do anything about it unless you complain.

to follow up on the above: the service dept confirmed the oil leak and found that there was a knotch and several other V shaped grooves on the filler neck surface which prevented the O ring from making a seal. When put under pressure oil will leak past the O ring. This was an obvious manfacturing flaw (possibly a dull bit when machining). BMW NA had service take photos of the defect and authorized a new tank.
MrZip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #692
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I have the same issue with oil oozing slowly out from around the filler cap on my G. Will mention that when it goes to dealer for service.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #693
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I had that oozing problem on the first day. The cap was not torqued in enough. Use the sparkplug wrench in the tool kit. It fits in the oil cap relief.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #694
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcridgerunner View Post
Use the sparkplug wrench in the tool kit. It fits in the oil cap relief.
Nice, I was wondering what tool would work best for that. I was just holding a long screw driver across the cap and twisting.

Anyone else have problems with the dealer not tightening the oil reservoir drain plug - it creates a nice mess when you drive 200km with the oil leaking out the side...UGGGGH!
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #695
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
New Sertao - first impressions and two questions

I got the bike on Saturday and I was only able to do about 300 miles, but here are my first impressions:

I took it off-road (light trails) and to the highways, and although it is too soon to say if it will completely replace my 1200GS- I’m very impressed. It is very light and nimble, but does not feel underpowered or gets blown over by passing cars or trucks. It is still under the break-in period so I don’t go above 5,000 RPM, but at 5,000 RPM it is effortlessly doing 75 MPH - not bad... During my rides I stopped and started the bike many times with no issues

It does feel a bit cramped (I'm 5.11 with 34" inseam so I’m ordering lower pegs and Rox handlebar raisers, but so far the high seat (based on Durden's recommendation) feels surprisingly comfortable – I love this bike!

Since it is my first non-Boxer BMW I have two questions I couldn't find answers to online:

1- There's a LOT of heat coming out from under my seat almost burning my thighs (not just in traffic) - is it normal? Granted that I was riding in over 100f temperatures I could expect some of it, but not so intense even long after I was moving at 50-60mph on a higher gear. Please let me know what you think.

2- I've ordered Rox handlebar raisers, and while I'm waiting for them I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to extend the front break line. Anyone here raised their handlebars to 2"?

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted!

Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #696
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I just started to notice the heat from the engine once it got into the '90s+ around here. So I think this is normal. I'm just sucking it up until it starts to cool down again. It has just been hot out around here.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #697
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I notice more heat on my right thigh than on the left. Don't know why.

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #698
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
I notice more heat on my right thigh than on the left. Don't know why.

Your radiator fan blows air on the right side.
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #699
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post

Since it is my first non-Boxer BMW I have two questions I couldn't find answers to online:

1- There's a LOT of heat coming out from under my seat almost burning my thighs (not just in traffic) - is it normal? Granted that I was riding in over 100f temperatures I could expect some of it, but not so intense even long after I was moving at 50-60mph on a higher gear. Please let me know what you think.

2- I've ordered Rox handlebar raisers, and while I'm waiting for them I'm trying to figure out if I'll need to extend the front break line. Anyone here raised their handlebars to 2"?

Thanks, and I'll keep you posted!

1) I have not notices any unusual heat on my standard 2012 GS, but will pay attention some more.

2) Pretty sure you will need to extend that front brake line from the perch to the splitter sitting on the frame next to the steering stem if you are going for an extra 2".

I put the Touratech adjustable foot pegs on mine and it has helped a lot when doing long rides.

A couple of questions for you:

What side racks and cases are you using? More pics?

Did some of the wind buffeting go away a little when you installed the Touratech GPS mount? I put the same mount on my bike with the tall Sertao screen and I want to say the buffeting went down with those spacers installed between the mound and the screen.

Thanks
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #700
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
1)
What side racks and cases are you using? More pics?

Did some of the wind buffeting go away a little when you installed the Touratech GPS mount? I put the same mount on my bike with the tall Sertao screen and I want to say the buffeting went down with those spacers installed between the mound and the screen.

Thanks
Thanks for the info! I guess I need to start searching for longer brake lines.

I got the Touratech Zega Pro mounts because they serve as excellent crash-bars for the back, and I can interchange my Zega-Pro cases from my 1200GS. They are huge (38 and 45 liters), but on long camping trips they'll do the job, and I'm not ready to drop another $1,000 on a pair of smaller cases at this time. See photo below of the cases on the 1200GS.

I cannot answer your second question because I had the dealer install it on the bike before I picked it up, so I never ridden it without the bracket. I can tell you that I like to have the GPS at that height - it makes a lot of sense.

I promise to post more photos as I add a few more mods.
Zega Pro cases on my 1200GS that I also use on the Sertao

Avner screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 09:17 PM Reason: ooops
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #701
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Here is a link to the TT brake line. Not too sure how good the price is though since I have not had any brake lines made up in years. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...F650GS-ABS-3cm

Ah, good call re-using your Zega cases on the Sertao. You could also probably another brand of boxes for less than the Zegas and mound them up with the Zega hardware. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...ts-one-pannier.

Yes, the GPS mount above the dash is nice... Well, havent finished mine yet since I want to order the custom mount for my Zumo450, but it will be nice to have it right in front of me instead of looking down at the bars where its been on my other bikes.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #702
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Your radiator fan blows air on the right side.
Correct, and the oil reservoir is on the left side, just under the left faring. If you are stuck in traffic there will be no air flow over the oil res and heat will build up, especially as the engine gets hot.

In my non-expert opinion, it should be normal especially in 100 degree heat.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #703
Avner
Not noob anymore

Steve_K,
Thanks for the link- that TT brake line is $100... Ouch.

Before getting it I'll see if I can get by without it, because I'd like to think that there's enough slack. If not, then I might add a short extension I saw on one of the F800GS threads, or break down and get the long cable (saw one - I'll share my findings. I really like that position of the GPS, and it has some room for a roll-chart too.

Durden,
I appreciate the comment about the heat - it explains a lot. It hasn't been as hot this week, so the hot air coming from the fan was not as bad, but I also realized that on those hot days I was wearing my Revit Tornado pants that have a mesh on the back/bottom of the thigh- allowing all of that heat to be blown directly onto my skin. It was never a problem with the 1200GS, but I can see that I'll have to make some wardrobe changes when riding the Sertao.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #704
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Nice, I was wondering what tool would work best for that. I was just holding a long screw driver across the cap and twisting.

Anyone else have problems with the dealer not tightening the oil reservoir drain plug - it creates a nice mess when you drive 200km with the oil leaking out the side...UGGGGH!
Durden
Next oil change, contact me and I can help you do it yourself so it is done right!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #705
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Here is a pic of my ride with the new 31L Zega Pro panniers.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qcridge...in/photostream
I am very satisfied with the quality and craftmanship of the Touratech panniers. Also added the fairing crash bars for more protection.
On a side note, my last fill ups enabled be to go 325 kms before getting the low fuel yellow light. Very pleased with that.