Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #751
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Howdy all, new Sertao owner, I've put 350+ miles on it so far, Been very pleased, I hope to try my hand at some dirt roads and what not in the future, Once I get a little more seat time, I upgraded from a CB350F that my dad bought new.

I have already run most of the canyons here on the East side of the Salt Lake Valley, Now I need to venture West!

Alta.

Brighton

I know its all paved, But I am still breaking it in.
FWIW, I'm 5'10" 163, So, Its a little tall, But it has worked out well, So far, Been averaging 78MPG on the first tank, and 67.5MPG on the second, But the second tank I have had my wife with me going up the canyons.
Just thought I would join and post up.
Have fun!
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #752
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 291
Congrats VitSports6'

Enjoy!

Remember, more pics, more pics

ONN
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #753
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Congrats VitSports6'

Enjoy!

Remember, more pics, more pics

ONN
Thanks!
I usually have a camera with me, So pic's are usually taken.
I will soon be looking for another set of rims so I can install some slightly more aggressive tires, I already have another set of tires I found locally, They are Bridgestone Trailwings and a Bridgestone Moto 37 front tire, I couldn't pass them up, They were only $10 each!
Obviously I still have quite a bit to learn with this new motorcycle, But I have really enjoyed it over the last couple weeks.
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #754
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
Thanks!
I usually have a camera with me, So pic's are usually taken.
I will soon be looking for another set of rims so I can install some slightly more aggressive tires, I already have another set of tires I found locally, They are Bridgestone Trailwings and a Bridgestone Moto 37 front tire, I couldn't pass them up, They were only $10 each!
Obviously I still have quite a bit to learn with this new motorcycle, But I have really enjoyed it over the last couple weeks.
Nice bike!

I love the idea of another set of rims, but it is a costly option. I find the knobbies to work well in all conditions, and the only real downside is that they wear off faster than all of the other tires. When I go off-road with the Tourances I feel as if I'm walking barefoot, but when I ride the knobbies on the road even when it is wet I don't feel I'm compromised traction wise. This is the reason I have knobbies on all of the time on both the Sertao and the 1200GS.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #755
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
[QUOTE I already have another set of tires I found locally, They are Bridgestone Trailwings and a Bridgestone Moto 37 front tire, I couldn't pass them up, They were only $10 each![/QUOTE]

May be just rumor but I keep hearing the Trailwings are NOT the tire to be riding. Those that I know with them get rid of them immediately, maybe due to rumor as well. TKC80's or Heidenau K60 Scouts are great and last long (as far as a 50/50 tire go) time. You should be able to find a set of Dakar wheels on Ebay or if you can get hubs have a set of excels laced up.

Nice bike and congrats!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #756
Avner
Not noob anymore

Lifting the Sertao - Update

Good news,

The handlebar method IS the way to go on this bike. Based on a few replies here I decided to give it another shot at the parking lot last night. I put the bike gently on its side and lifted it back from the lower handlebar. It was so easy to do, that I actually tried it a few more times.

I can't believed I sweat so much on the weekend trying the walking back towards the seat method I use to lift the large bike.

Thanks for the tips!

There's a nice video showing this on a KLR at HU website - scroll to 01:06 to see it: http://youtu.be/i__7iIiE9R0
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #757
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
Good news,

The handlebar method IS the way to go on this bike. Based on a few replies here I decided to give it another shot at the parking lot last night. I put the bike gently on its side and lifted it back from the lower handlebar. It was so easy to do, that I actually tried it a few more times.

Glad to know I have someone to lift my bike while I pop down them advils
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #758
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Hello im considering buying a sertao. Is the bike comfortable for weekend 2 up riding? Im comparing it to new v strom. In 6'2. With the tall seat option will the bike be comfortable? Also what was the out of door price you paid? Thanks.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #759
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Hello im considering buying a sertao. Is the bike comfortable for weekend 2 up riding? Im comparing it to new v strom. In 6'2. With the tall seat option will the bike be comfortable? Also what was the out of door price you paid? Thanks.
The V-Strom is physically quite a bit bigger and more powerful. I'd choose that if you're looking for a 2-up tourer. The 650GS can handle two-up riding ok but I wouldn't want to tour that way. The tall seat does add a lot of comfort.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #760
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Weekend 2-up on the Sertao - no problem. But if I was going to be doing a lot of 2-up and a lot of slab, I would go with an 800+ like the 800gs or the Triumph, maybe even a gently used 1200gs or 1200RT. I'm not a big V-Strom fan, but thats just my personal tastes.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #761
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
I haven't tried 2up yet, but when I load the Sertao with the panniers and full gear it is very noticeable as oppose to a larger bike loaded with the same weight. It is not much fun to feel under powered at high speeds on the highway and get blown away left and right, but I don't have much of a problem on the smaller roads.

I paid $9,445 before all of the add-ons. There's no room for negotiations when there are no other Sertaos around. All three dealers in the area quoted the same price, but only one of them actually had one in stock.

I agree with Durden on moving up with the CC if you are planning longer trips 2up on the slab, otherwise it will take the fun out of it.

Avner screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 12:46 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #762
regatta rider
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh Exhaust heat shield from TT

New Sertao owner here!

Got only 400 miles on it so for but ventured out this morning with my 9-year old pillion. She complained about heat above boot on the left side. Anyone tried the heat shield that Touratech sells for this?

For those that might be interested, I put the tall seat(Dakar) on and noticed only a very small (negligible really) increase in height but a quantum leap in comfort. This is the way to go!
I also got the BMW luggage set - simple install but attachments don't appear as robust as I experienced with the bags that go on the 1200GS (bags and attachment are physically different not just cosmetically). I guess time will tell but they function well and look fairly sporty!

Look for a Shiite grinning Sertao pilot around Eagle Mountain Lake area!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #763
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Just one dumb question and I'll be out of your hair. Looking at a G650GS. Not the Sertao. But, why the two mufflers?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #764
biscuit000
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The one on the left is the catalytic converter and is closed off it then sends the gasses over to the muffler on the right.
biscuit000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #765
EMFC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Signed the paperwork for my new bike, now I have to wait until Tuesday to pick it up.

What should I upgrade first?
EMFC is offline   Reply With Quote