Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #766
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
You'll here the same thing here and on the Dakar thread. Ride it, get to know it on / off road. But things to consider:

Body protection (crankcase/fairing)...things are costly to replace. So probably your first and most important

Comfort: Foot Pegs if you feel you need them, wider maybe and maybe repositioned or pivoting. After that, bar risers if need be.

Traction: Tires, probably the best thing if you venture off road - do your research on the threads

Suspension: depending on how you'll ride it. Some find it too soft and upgrade and some find it fine

Luggage: Hard, Soft, w or w/o racks.

The list is endless
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #767
biscuit000
n00b

Oddometer: 6
The tall "Dakar" seat is the biggest immediate impact mod I have made so far. The difference in comfort is very noticeable with the nice squishy foam it uses.
biscuit000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #768
EL HUX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Wind protection if you plan on doing extensive highway use, otherwise, same as above.
EL HUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #769
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 136
Battle Tested

What more can you ask from a bike?

Load it with as much stuff you want and ride it on the highway comfortably to your desired destination - preferably remote. Unload it, do some ATV trails (first drop finally!), and come back home with a big smile on your face.

I'm too tired to share the rest of the story (starter/kill-switch assembly caught on fire in the middle of nowhere), but I'd like to say this: I decided to try some advanced ATV trails, and I never done anything remotely as advanced with other bikes. The Sertao did very well. It takes a lot of effort to stall the engine, and the front wheel is light on the rocks (and wheelies a lot at steep ascends if you give it a bit too much throttle). It is steady and nimble - a pleasure to ride!

I think that every piece of protection I purchased for this bike played a part in this trip. At one point I actually heard small rocks hitting the aluminum radiator-guards. I'll list my mods in a future post.

Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #770
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 233
Naieve Questions

I had a couple questions about the Serrato that I don't think have been tried yet, but wanted to get a community opinion on them.

First, In a pinch would it be possible to block of the injectors and HP fuel pump and run the lift pump or gravity to a CVK40? I am assuming that adapters would be needed for the Cylinder-to-carb collar, throttle cable (or is it by sensor?) and the airbox / throttle body / MAP sensor would have to come out and be replaced by a cone air filter. My reason for this question is that some people go through fuel pumps at an accelerated rate on the ride reports, so having a carb as backup might be nice (if less fuel efficient), and a collar-carb-air_filter unit could be packable. I have no idea if the ECM would then throw a fit (or go into limp mode) if you did that though...

[This was a random though I had, of which maybe 2 in 50 end up being feasible]

Second, does the Serrato really need both mufflers? It seems like if the exhaust can be fully piped out of one, the other can be removed for more storage tube space
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #771
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit000 View Post
The tall "Dakar" seat is the biggest immediate impact mod I have made so far. The difference in comfort is very noticeable with the nice squishy foam it uses.
The high seat is perfect for longer trips. The seat hight itself has not changed that much because the foam inside is very soft. And I very much appreciate that I'm no longer skidding forward on the seat as it was with the regular one.

thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #772
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuare View Post
Second, does the Serrato really need both mufflers? It seems like if the exhaust can be fully piped out of one, the other can be removed for more storage tube space
One of the cans isnt a muffler; it is a catalyic converter. There are a few manuf. who have conversion kits for one (I think 2 Brothers-or something like that) cat/muffler combo.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #773
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
One of the cans isnt a muffler; it is a catalyic converter. There are a few manuf. who have conversion kits for one (I think 2 Brothers-or something like that) cat/muffler combo.
I'd like to get rid of that weight, get more performance and use the extra room for storage, but I won't do it until I see some similar successful mods.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #774
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
The high seat is perfect for longer trips. The seat hight itself has not changed that much because the foam inside is very soft. And I very much appreciate that I'm no longer skidding forward on the seat as it was with the regular one.
+1 on the high seat - it is free when you buy the bike, but you need to ask for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #775
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
No hindrance to the passenger with the high seat ?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #776
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcridgerunner View Post
No hindrance to the passenger with the high seat ?
My GF is 1,65 m and she doesn't complain when she mounts her place behind me (1,90 m). She confirmed that the high seat is way more comfortable.
thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #777
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Hello everyone,

A question about radiator fan operation:

Should it be turning on right has the motor is started, and cold? The last 2 mornings my fan has been kicking on as soon as the motor is started. It will turn off/on a few times on my way to work. Temp warning light is not coming on except for self test when key is turned on. I checked both the overflow and radiator last night, and both were full. Also checked the temp sender for moisture since I got caught in heavy rain on Sunday. Pulled the fuse for the computer this morning after letting the motor cool for an hour, fan still turns on. Outside temp about 65f the last 2 mornings.

Also checked on the Chain Gang forum, but only had info on fans not turning on.

It’s a 2012 with about 3k miles on it.

Also posting in G650GS thread….

Thanks,
Steve
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #778
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I bought the Wirth progressive springs from touratech and they were for the dakar so they are a few inches too short.
Is there anyway to find out if Ohlins or someone is going to make springs for us? It really needs something better up front for woods work.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #779
Avner
Not noob anymore

List of mods made to the Sertao

As promised, I put together a quick page listing most of the mods I've done so far. I can't tell you how happy I am that those guards are installed on the bike, because most of them played a big part in my latest off-road adventure. The bike was dropped on rocks, and at times I had to drag it while on its side to be able to lift it. The plastics or any valuable parts of the bike were never touched by anything thanks to that protection:

http://www.responsetech.us/fam/sertaomods.html
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #780
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
As promised, I put together a quick page listing most of the mods I've done so far. I can't tell you how happy I am that those guards are installed on the bike, because most of them played a big part in my latest off-road adventure. The bike was dropped on rocks, and at times I had to drag it while on its side to be able to lift it. The plastics or any valuable parts of the bike were never touched by anything thanks to that protection:

http://www.responsetech.us/fam/sertaomods.html
Great info, I have wondered why BMW put the rear reservoir where they did.
I have been very pleased with my Sertao so far, But I only have 730 miles on it.
VitSports6 is online now   Reply With Quote