Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #781
thorsten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
As promised, I put together a quick page listing most of the mods I've done so farl
This is a very helpful listing, thanks. I never saw those rox speed handlebar risers before. They seem to be much more variable compared to the simple block risers that bring the handlebar to much towards the biker. Did you have to change the brake lines or any cables ?

Th.
thorsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #782
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
I'd like to get rid of that weight, get more performance and use the extra room for storage, but I won't do it until I see some similar successful mods.
Welcome to the club...you just reiterated what people have been saying about that can since the the 650 single engine first came out.

However, having owned several BMW 650 thumpers over the years (the engine only underwent one major change in 2004. Other than that every 650 engine is the same even if the frames and looks change)...yes even your Serato engine is identical to my 2005 model save for a couple cosmetic modifications. I can tell you fact of the matter that you are going to have a hard time getting anything better for your bike. I haven't found one for mine yet.

The reality of that can is that it makes the bike what it is. It's the best performing, lightest, and takes up the least amount of room for what it delivers.

YES you can find manufacturers that will make a single exhaust can for your bike but I have yet to see one do it without sacrificing performance, power, or weight. And you have to remember that you are using a fuel injection system not a carburetor. While you can tune your fuel injector if you have the right tools, BMW frowns on it. So you are stuck with the parameters that BMW has provided for your injection system. That's why fitting up 3'rd party exhausts is so difficult. f you find one that hits the sweet spot on the 650 engine let me know because I've still got a 2005 F650GS in my fleet that could use some weight loss and I've always preferred single pipes to dual pipes. However I'm not willing to sacrifice gas mileage or power to do it.

Flashback screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 12:30 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #783
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 247
Hey Avner,
:Thumbs Up for taking the time to put that list together.
Certainly gives me something to aspire too
ONN
Ol'NumNuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #784
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsten View Post
This is a very helpful listing, thanks. I never saw those rox speed handlebar risers before. They seem to be much more variable compared to the simple block risers that bring the handlebar to much towards the biker. Did you have to change the brake lines or any cables ?

Th.
This is what makes the Rox rock - they give you two ways of adjusting the position:

Quote:
I installed the Rox (2") handlebar raisers before I took the Sertao to service, and to my surprise the the front brake hose was a bit tight, but was not pulling. The problem was the Throttle cable that was revving up the engine with the handlebars locked to the right. Since I had some owed credit at the dealership I asked them to re-route the throttle cable, and tell me if I should order a longer front brake line. They re-routed the throttle cable, and just loosened the two screws holding the break assembly and moved it slightly to the left - relieving the tension from the break line - see arrows in photo.

Handlebar raisers make a huge difference in off-road comfort and control, but also improve the ergonomics on the road. Highly recommended.

Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #785
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Welcome to the club...you just reiterated what people have been saying about that can since the the 650 single engine first came out.

However, having owned several BMW 650 thumpers over the years (the engine only underwent one major change in 2004. Other than that every 650 engine is the same even if the frames and looks change)...yes even your Serato engine is identical to my 2005 model save for a couple cosmetic modifications. I can tell you fact of the matter that you are going to have a hard time getting anything better for your bike. I haven't found one for mine yet.

The reality of that can is that it makes the bike what it is. It's the best performing, lightest, and takes up the least amount of room for what it delivers.

YES you can find manufacturers that will make a single exhaust can for your bike but I have yet to see one do it without sacrificing performance, power, or weight. And you have to remember that you are using a fuel injection system not a carburetor. While you can tune your fuel injector if you have the right tools, BMW frowns on it. So you are stuck with the parameters that BMW has provided for your injection system. That's why fitting up 3'rd party exhausts is so difficult. f you find one that hits the sweet spot on the 650 engine let me know because I've still got a 2005 F650GS in my fleet that could use some weight loss and I've always preferred single pipes to dual pipes. However I'm not willing to sacrifice gas mileage or power to do it.
This is very informative reply Flashback!
I am very happy with the way the bike is now, but started obsessing and seeing the extra tin-can as excess weight. Your description puts my mind at ease, and I can let it go for now. Maybe one day someone will come up with an easy - proven fix that will significantly make a difference in weight and performance.
Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #786
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
^^^ I find it easier to hit the treadmill and shave 10lbs off the rider than try to mess with the exhaust ;)

Anyone else having issues with their heated grip switch, mine died after days of getting dust in it, BMW is replacing under warranty, but I suppose I will have to figure out what to do once warranty is done. I would have hoped they would use a sealed switch unit, but if you pop the plastic top off, you can see its just a cover with a rocker underneath.

As I said before, I'm loving this bike, I may look into the raises next.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #787
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Two up with gear report

Came back from a 2 day trial run with the Mrs. Windy on the first day and drizzle on the second.
Combined rider weights : 320 lbs + tank bag and panniers full. I loved the way the bike responded. Never felt underpowered (keeping in mind I did not buy a 1200), even climbing up twisty mountain passes. Fourth gear pulled really well to overtake cars. On an ealier dry run two up with no gear, the handling was saggy. This time, I tweaked the pre load on the rear suspension AND hardened the damping. What a difference ! No more sagging nor rebounds . What I find encouraging is that I have lots more preload to use and 1/4 turn of dampening for when we are going to add up about 25 pounds of camping gear (trial run to come soon). We will use the Sertao as our sole mean of transportation in France next year and I am now quite convinced it will fit the bill, our plan being to avoid the high speed carriage ways but for short periods of say 1 hour. I was going to start looking for a ways to reinforce the rear suspension but that might not be required (our total weight will never be over the max. recommended pay load).
On a side note, my KLIM Latitude jacket is awesome.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #788
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
^^^ I find it easier to hit the treadmill and shave 10lbs off the rider than try to mess with the exhaust ;)

Anyone else having issues with their heated grip switch, mine died after days of getting dust in it, BMW is replacing under warranty, but I suppose I will have to figure out what to do once warranty is done. I would have hoped they would use a sealed switch unit, but if you pop the plastic top off, you can see its just a cover with a rocker underneath.

As I said before, I'm loving this bike, I may look into the raises next.
Durden,

The weight issue is not while riding, but how much i need to lift once the bike gets tired... It is really down to a few lbs, because I have my tools, water and supplies in my tail-case on the trail, and after the 3rd time lifting the bike I find that I can only lift it if I remove the tail-case with its content. This is why I count every pound. My treadmill is the Sertao!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #789
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
This is very informative reply Flashback!
I am very happy with the way the bike is now, but started obsessing and seeing the extra tin-can as excess weight. Your description puts my mind at ease, and I can let it go for now. Maybe one day someone will come up with an easy - proven fix that will significantly make a difference in weight and performance.
Thanks!
My 2 cents worth. I had similar thoughts about the muffler on my Sertao. I was not looking for better performance just lighter weight and additional storage room. I bought an Arrow slip on that seemed to fit the bill it is a combination of stainless steel pipe with a single titanium and carbon fibre silencer and it replaces the entire two canister system. It is a very nice piece with a high quality look and feel. According to the info on their web site it makes more power and torque than stock across the entire rev range in the unrestricted (stock baffle) format (more on this in a bit). The site gives no spec for the power and torque with the quiet baffle (which was also included) installed. The info that came with the pipe basically said that you should run with the stock baffle in place and not to use the quiet baffle which is really only included to meet the letter of the law in that it is fully legal in Europe with the quiet baffle in. Installation was easy enough the pipe looks great in place. Wanting the bike to be as quiet as possible I installed the quiet baffle from the start. The bike starts fine, runs perfectly with no glitches in the fuel delivery. It certainly seems to rev quicker and if I had to to guess I think it does have more power and torque across the rev range although not much.
So far so good now here is the down side it is really loud even with the quiet baffle in. Its a very nice sound but its just annoying on the highway. Its ok with ear plugs in but I always feel slightly guilty about how loud it is like one of those obnoxious Harleys. The other thing is I was surprised by how light the stock system was considering. I mean the Arrow is significantly lighter but the stock system is not as bad as I thought it would be. I haven't gone back to stock but am considering it. I"m hoping I'll get used to it because it was expensive 1200 Canadian
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #790
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I have finally achieved "run-in" status! I hit 650 miles on my way back from Bear Lake ID. running UT-39 Monte Cristo Canyon.

Canyon Chaser page of the road if you aren't familiar with the area.

Now at 750 miles, I have scheduled an appointment with the BMW dealer I bought the Sertao from, I was however a tad shocked at the $220.00 "run-in" service, But I guess I need to pay to play.

I am still quite pleased with the motorcycle, I wish I took some pic's, Some of the cross winds were brutal near the top of Monte Cristo.
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #791
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I have finally achieved "run-in" status! I hit 650 miles on my way back from Bear Lake ID. running UT-39 Monte Cristo Canyon.

Canyon Chaser page of the road if you aren't familiar with the area.

Now at 750 miles, I have scheduled an appointment with the BMW dealer I bought the Sertao from, I was however a tad shocked at the $220.00 "run-in" service, But I guess I need to pay to play.

I am still quite pleased with the motorcycle, I wish I took some pic's, Some of the cross winds were brutal near the top of Monte Cristo.
Seems pretty steep for an oil change. I paid $185 and that included a tire change.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #792
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Do the 600 mile service yourself. They no longer check the valves at 600.
Change the oil (takes time but not difficult), check all the bolts to ensure the bolts are tight. Check the chain for proper tension (the specs are on the bike). When checking bolts, ensure to check the bolts on the rear sprocket.
Check brake fluid level, top off if needed (probably not).
Check antifreeze level, top off if needed (with correct antifreeze listed in the manual-must be nitrite free).
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3824768/BM...nglish-Version scroll down the page for a 2-3 pages and you can find the checklist for what is done at each interval.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #793
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Thanks guy's, I know I can do it myself and that it is somewhat time consuming, But I thought they might have some specific items they might replace, Like Spark plug, oil, check things over...etc. I'm sure I will be doing it myself next time.
Thanks again.

But I appreciate the document, I have been pouring over the internet with no luck...

VitSports6 screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 03:45 PM Reason: adding info
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #794
ergomoto
FOCUS ON THE THROUGH.

Oddometer: 83
Thumb BMW 650 Past, Present & Future.

Had to post a collective thanks to the ghosts of Christmas feature! As a '05 GSingle owner, most of the Sertao, much of the G650X's, and now even more of the new Husqvarna TR 650 Strada & Terra continue to breath life into this bike line and parts shelf OEM & aftermarket. That, and it's easier to find these threads again, should they go fallow for any length of time, if you post on them

Cheers,
Mark S
2004DR200SE
=SOLD=
"Is that what you wanted that to look like?
'
ergomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #795
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,761
Laugh

getting stoned with coons

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is online now   Reply With Quote