User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #796
Rordog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
New Bike

I've been reading this thread since the beginning, so today I bought a Sertao. I had a 05 F650gs years ago and this Sertao is just as good. The power and torque is excellent, shifts great, and suspenion is just right. I know the more miles the better it will get. All I can say is that the farkling can begin.
Rordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #797
k9companion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hi folks, long time lurker here. I've had my Sertao for 4 months now and I have about 4k on the odometer. The bike has been great so far. I do a lot of rural, dirt, and fire road riding with my friend and fellow adventure rider Nib.

My initial feelings about the bike are:
Pros: it's nimble, it has ample power for a solo rider with gear, it's a comfortable riding position, nice instrument cluster, ABS can be disabled, descent selection on farkles, and a rock solid motor.

Cons: the low seat is uncomfortable on long rides, shifting is a bit clunky, heavy exhaust system, need another inch or two on the kick stand, suspension is mediocre, and stock street tires

My mods: Two Bros exhaust (F650GS model, slip tube needs modifying), AdventureTech LED Brake light, Custom Dynamics LED brake light bar, BMW engine guard, BMW tank bag, BMW panniers, Tool Tube, blue valve stem caps

Sadly I'm trading the bike in on Wednesday. My better half has really taken to riding pillion. Combined we are 320-330 lbs with gear but add our camping gear and you can really feel the limit of the bikes 650 motor. I was contemplating getting the 800 but I've always wanted a r1200gs, so with the wife's approval, I'm upgrading.

k9companion screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 06:30 PM
k9companion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #798
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rordog View Post
I've been reading this thread since the beginning, so today I bought a Sertao. I had a 05 F650gs years ago and this Sertao is just as good. The power and torque is excellent, shifts great, and suspenion is just right. I know the more miles the better it will get. All I can say is that the farkling can begin.
Congrats Rory!!
I have been keeping a eye on this thread also, I might have to part with the KLR
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #799
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
.. so lets see some friggin pictures already jeez.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #800
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Hell, combined u weigh as much as most of us alone!!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #801
k9companion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
My 2 cents worth. I had similar thoughts about the muffler on my Sertao. I was not looking for better performance just lighter weight and additional storage room. I bought an Arrow slip on that seemed to fit the bill it is a combination of stainless steel pipe with a single titanium and carbon fibre silencer and it replaces the entire two canister system. It is a very nice piece with a high quality look and feel. According to the info on their web site it makes more power and torque than stock across the entire rev range in the unrestricted (stock baffle) format (more on this in a bit). The site gives no spec for the power and torque with the quiet baffle (which was also included) installed. The info that came with the pipe basically said that you should run with the stock baffle in place and not to use the quiet baffle which is really only included to meet the letter of the law in that it is fully legal in Europe with the quiet baffle in. Installation was easy enough the pipe looks great in place. Wanting the bike to be as quiet as possible I installed the quiet baffle from the start. The bike starts fine, runs perfectly with no glitches in the fuel delivery. It certainly seems to rev quicker and if I had to to guess I think it does have more power and torque across the rev range although not much.
So far so good now here is the down side it is really loud even with the quiet baffle in. Its a very nice sound but its just annoying on the highway. Its ok with ear plugs in but I always feel slightly guilty about how loud it is like one of those obnoxious Harleys. The other thing is I was surprised by how light the stock system was considering. I mean the Arrow is significantly lighter but the stock system is not as bad as I thought it would be. I haven't gone back to stock but am considering it. I"m hoping I'll get used to it because it was expensive 1200 Canadian
I'm with Africa Twin on this. The stock system is very heavy and restrictive. I also wanted something a bit louder. I had a hard time finding a system that would work without modifications. After speaking with the folks at Two Bros I ordered the system for the F650GS which I was told would work. After receiving the system I quickly realized the diameter on the header pipe has changed, the new header pipe is a larger in diameter. A local exhaust shop modified the slip tube for me and the I installed it myself. The sounds and throttle response were immediately noticeable but I don't feel any real increase in power. The weight and space I saved with the new system allowed me to add a tool tube with 1.5L of fuel. The exhaust is loud though. I installed the 2-3db silencer and it's still a bit loud for my liking. Two Bros does make a 7-8db silencer but I haven't tried it yet.

k9companion screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 07:13 AM Reason: Changing video hosting
k9companion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #802
k9companion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Hell, combined u weigh as much as most of us alone!!

That was a typo that my wife would appreciate I've updated our weight..

I tried to post a picture and video of the exhaust but it said a moderator needs to approve it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #803
k9companion
Adventurer

Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #804
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Taking my Sertao on the CDR this week

I am packed and taking off to Deming, NM tomorow and will start the trail on Wednesday. I have a total of about 65lbs of cargo including extra fuel and water. Today I put on an AirHawk. Heres a picture of my loaded bike. You can follow me at SPOT Messenger
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #805
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9companion View Post
That was a typo that my wife would appreciate I've updated our weight..

I tried to post a picture and video of the exhaust but it said a moderator needs to approve it.
Thought so. Figured your wife was around 95-100 but you weighing 125-130 was a bit hard to believe!
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #806
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Aftermarket muffler thoughts

My aftermarket muffler isn't super loud -- it passes the 94 db legal limit (at 3500 rpm) -- but it does bark pretty good compared to stock. I like the performance gains, the lighter weight, the added storage room and being heard by cars as I lane-split so I have no plans to change back to stock. Usually I wear Howard Leight Max Lite Earplugs and it sounds perfect when they're in.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #807
k9companion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
My aftermarket muffler isn't super loud -- it passes the 94 db legal limit (at 3500 rpm) -- but it does bark pretty good compared to stock. I like the performance gains, the lighter weight, the added storage room and being heard by cars as I lane-split so I have no plans to change back to stock. Usually I wear Howard Leight Max Lite Earplugs and it sounds perfect when they're in.
Is that a SuperTrapp?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #808
SwollenCranium
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasomonte View Post
I am packed and taking off to Deming, Messenger
Did you reinforce your beak? And it looks like you are blocking 1/2 your light maybe?

Mine flexes a great deal and would not consider it capable of carrying any weight.
SwollenCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #809
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9companion View Post
Is that a SuperTrapp?
No, it's a Japanese brand.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #810
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwollenCranium View Post
Did you reinforce your beak? And it looks like you are blocking 1/2 your light maybe?

Mine flexes a great deal and would not consider it capable of carrying any weight.
I wouldn't add any load to the beak. Mine broke and it took months to get the replacement because BMW said there was a problem with them breaking too easily and that I had to wait for the updated part. It seems the original part is a little weak
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote