Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #811
thorstwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Front Fender issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
I wouldn't add any load to the beak. Mine broke and it took months to get the replacement because BMW said there was a problem with them breaking too easily and that I had to wait for the updated part. It seems the original part is a little weak
I was in the middle of the Nevada Desert and my front fender just came off. My BMW shop did replace it on warranty and that was great, but I definitely won't be adding any fender bags any time soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urhnem2zu6...2012%20072.JPG

thorstwin screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 09:08 AM Reason: picture link did not work
thorstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #812
thorstwin
Adventurer

Looking for Panniers and tires

Looking for some advice on Panniers and Tires:

1. Tires: I am a 50/50 rider (maybe 60 off road and 40 street) so I am looking for something that is good off-road but I don't have to change out every 2000 miles. I am considering Mefo Super Explorers or the K60 scouts. Any thoughts?

2. Panniers: I just did 1500 miles through Nevada and Utah and I had all of my gear on the back of my bike. That was OK, but too top heavy and I need some side bags. I have been looking at happy-trail, Pelican, SW-Motech and Touratech boxes. I have also considered Wolfman dry bags.

I am wondering thoughts on the pros and cons of each. I probably won't go with the more expensive Touratech option (although they look pretty amazing.) The Happy-Trail and Pelican are around the $800 range and that seems like a good middle ground.

I am worried that soft bags won't hold all of my camping gear, tools, etc. as well as a set of boxes would.

Thanks!!

http://flic.kr/p/cHHnHh
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #813
VitSports6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstwin View Post
I was in the middle of the Nevada Desert and my front fender just came off. My BMW shop did replace it on warranty and that was great, but I definitely won't be adding any fender bags any time soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urhnem2zu6...2012%20072.JPG
I have wondered about it flexing too much and falling off, Mine acts like a spring board that someone just used, Its constantly moving.
VitSports6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #814
qcridgerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Beak breaking

What a coincidence ! Two days ago, I was showing my friend how everything was so flexible on the Sertao : turn signal flashers..etc. I pushed the front beak down with little force and it snapped in front of the 4 connecting bolts ! I was so surprised. Will get a new part next Monday (52CAN$). There is a faulty design there, I am sure. Luckily, I have the Touratech low fender and can still ride.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #815
Avner
Not noob anymore

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I have wondered about it flexing too much and falling off, Mine acts like a spring board that someone just used, Its constantly moving.
I feel the same way - I thought there was something wrong with it.
Avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #816
thorstwin
Adventurer

Looking for pannier and tire info

I am looking for two things:

1. Information on a good high mileage 50/50 tire.

I am looking at the K60 scout, but have also considered the Mefo Super Explorers. Any thoughts?

I am currently running Michelin T63's. They have a little over 2,000 miles on them and they are good, but I estimate they will need to be replaced by 3,000.

2. I want to buy some panniers.

On my last ride (pictured below) I was a bit too top heavy. The bike rode OK, but stopped I was having issues with the bike wanting to tip over. ( I had to use the center stand or take my chances :))

I am thinking about Happy-Trail hard boxes but have also looked at Pelican.

Any opinions on the best route to go? I have also considered Wolfman Dry Bags, but I don't think soft bags are going to be the right solution for me long term.

Thanks in advance and Ride On.

thorstwin screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 05:43 PM Reason: incomplete info
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #817
thorstwin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcridgerunner View Post
What a coincidence ! Two days ago, I was showing my friend how everything was so flexible on the Sertao : turn signal flashers..etc. I pushed the front beak down with little force and it snapped in front of the 4 connecting bolts ! I was so surprised. Will get a new part next Monday (52CAN$). There is a faulty design there, I am sure. Luckily, I have the Touratech low fender and can still ride.
That is EXACTLY where mine broke. I am sensing a pattern here
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #818
Avner
Not noob anymore

Quote:
I am looking for two things:

1. Information on a good high mileage 50/50 tire.

I am looking at the K60 scout, but have also considered the Mefo Super Explorers. Any thoughts?

I am currently running Michelin T63's. They have a little over 2,000 miles on them and they are good, but I estimate they will need to be replaced by 3,000.

2. I want to buy some panniers.

On my last ride (pictured below) I was a bit too top heavy. The bike rode OK, but stopped I was having issues with the bike wanting to tip over. ( I had to use the center stand or take my chances :))

I am thinking about Happy-Trail hard boxes but have also looked at Pelican.

Any opinions on the best route to go? I have also considered Wolfman Dry Bags, but I don't think soft bags are going to be the right solution for me long term.

Thanks in advance and Ride On.
I did a lot of research on both subjects, and I feel that I made the right choice for me, because whatever I got for my 1200GS I did the same for the Sertao.

Tires: I ride the slab to get to the dirt, so I'm pro off-road tires. The TKC80 outperform anything else by far, they do well on the road too, and the only downside is the wear. I think it is a small price to pay to get the best grip when you need it the most.

Take a look at this photo of me (yellow) and my friend on the GSA who is an off-road expert (no kidding) climbing the same grassy wet hill. I'm doing it without a sweat, and he is slipping and sliding all over the place with his Heidenau tires:

Panniers: This has a lot to do with personal preference. I wanted panniers that are secure, top-loading, waterproof and light. Getting the ZegaPro (Touratech) was a no-brainer, but there are two bonus added features: 1- Because they are rectangle they work well as a seat or a table at a campsite. 2- The frame acts as an excellent crash-bar for the entire rear end of both bikes.

Since I got the panniers for the 1200 I went big - 38 and 45 liter. When I got the Sertao I just got the frame from Touratech and I switch the panniers between the bikes as needed, because I can't ride two bikes at the same time anyway... They do look huge on the Sertao, but you can always go smaller. They have been performing flawlessly and even taken a few falls without any complaints.

38 and 45liter ZegaPro panniers on the Sertao:

I hope this helps.

Avner screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 06:20 PM
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #819
jdoxey
jdoxey

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

1. Tires: I am a 50/50 rider (maybe 60 off road and 40 street) so I am looking for something that is good off-road but I don't have to change out every 2000 miles. I am considering Mefo Super Explorers or the K60 scouts. Any thoughts?

2. Panniers: I just did 1500 miles through Nevada and Utah and I had all of my gear on the back of my bike. That was OK, but too top heavy and I need some side bags. I have been looking at happy-trail, Pelican, SW-Motech and Touratech boxes. I have also considered Wolfman dry bags.

I am wondering thoughts on the pros and cons of each. I probably won't go with the more expensive Touratech option (although they look pretty amazing.) The Happy-Trail and Pelican are around the $800 range and that seems like a good middle ground.

I am worried that soft bags won't hold all of my camping gear, tools, etc. as well as a set of boxes would.

Thanks!!

Can't help you with tires, I just at my 10k mark and the stock ones on my gs are expiring. I'm leaning towards the k60's, but can't offer any expertise there.

I ended up going with the hepco and Becker side and top cases. Very similar to the tourtech, a little different looking, but i'm pretty happy with them. I know they're a little dorky, but they're so blasted handy that I don't really care about the dork effect.
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/...0413-00040.jpg
jdoxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #820
thorstwin
Adventurer

This is very good information

Your picture speaks VOLUMES. How many miles did you get on your TKC's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post
I did a lot of research on both subjects, and I feel that I made the right choice for me, because whatever I got for my 1200GS I did the same for the Sertao.

Tires: I ride the slab to get to the dirt, so I'm pro off-road tires. The TKC80 outperform anything else by far, they do well on the road too, and the only downside is the wear. I think it is a small price to pay to get the best grip when you need it the most.

Take a look at this photo of me (yellow) and my friend on the GSA who is an off-road expert (no kidding) climbing the same grassy wet hill. I'm doing it without a sweat, and he is slipping and sliding all over the place with his Heidenau tires:

Panniers: This has a lot to do with personal preference. I wanted panniers that are secure, top-loading, waterproof and light. Getting the ZegaPro (Touratech) was a no-brainer, but there are two bonus added features: 1- Because they are rectangle they work well as a seat or a table at a campsite. 2- The frame acts as an excellent crash-bar for the entire rear end of both bikes.

Since I got the panniers for the 1200 I went big - 38 and 45 liter. When I got the Sertao I just got the frame from Touratech and I switch the panniers between the bikes as needed, because I can't ride two bikes at the same time anyway... They do look huge on the Sertao, but you can always go smaller. They have been performing flawlessly and even taken a few falls without any complaints.

38 and 45liter ZegaPro panniers on the Sertao:

I hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #821
Avner
Not noob anymore

I got about 7,000miles on the TKC80 before I replaced them.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #822
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Two weeks in the shop and finally had the decompression lever swapped out. The part arrived and it took me a week to schedule a pick-up. The bike sat for at least a week before they even looked at it. Something about a mechanic got hurt. Once they did look at it, they didn't have the right tools for the job so BMW had to send the right tool. They finally dropped it off last night. I haven't had a chance to see if it made a difference yet. I will have plenty of opportunity this weekend though.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #823
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:

I really like the Michelin T63s. I will probably stick with them when they wear out.

I don't like the fat ass look of the boxes. I really like my expandable Vario cases.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #824
petepuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:

Thanks!!

K60 on my Klr...about 1500 miles...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #825
MadVenTur7
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVenTur7 View Post
So apparently the mid-Atlantic isn't a hot spot for Sertao's, as I called Bob's in Guildford, MD and they didn't have any in stock, and had no plans to order any more this year. However, they did look into transferring one in, and were able to find me one. I signed the papers on Friday, and hopefully it'll be here this week!!

The first add-on I'm going to do is the centerstand, and I'm leaning towards the Touratech stand, and wanted to see what anyone who's installed one thinks.

Thanks!!

-MadV

So I've had the Sertao now for a month or so, only been able to commute on it, but I've put just a tic over 500 miles and I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. Like most, I am not a huge fan of the seat, but my 18 mile commute is bearable on it. I've had the opportunity to do some twisties on her, and she exceeded all my expectations for fun level, though it is taking some time to get used to the skinny-a$$ tires!! (I'm coming off a Duc 848)

I'm getting ready to order up the Touratech centerstand, and probably the Bags Connection quick-lock mount and tankbag. I'm a bit confused by the TwistedThrottle order system in that when I add the tankbag to the cart, there's a dropdown for a "lower ring"...but I was under the impression that I only needed the lower mount (mounts on the 4 screws holding the black plastic cover on the faux-tank) and the bag. Has anyone else put one of these on their Sertao (or standard G650GS)?

Also, I'm looking at the Happy-Trail panniers as I can't really afford the Zega's, mostly for commuting, but once I get to Texas this fall (so psyched!), I plan on doing some trail/dirt/fire/ranch road riding, and maybe a weekend camping trip or two, and I was hoping someone might have a set of the H-T bags on their Sertao and could comment on the quality of fit.

I'm excited to start modding the bike a bit as time and budget allow, and hope to have pics up soon.

Cheers,

MadV
MadVenTur7 is offline   Reply With Quote